Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    amnesia wrote: »
    Then there is the problem of wrongful conviction. With the death penalty, what's done is done. What about people who are wrongfully convicted and then pardoned years later when fresh evidence turns up? If even one innocent person died it would be too many.

:yes: However, due to break throughs in forensic science, this isn't as likely to happen now as say 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes: However, due to break throughs in forensic science, this isn't as likely to happen now as say 30 years ago.

The problem is that a lot of innocent people on death row can't get their case re-opened.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    blah, blah, blah

I agree with Shy Boy in that you seem to be basing most of your arguments on the beliefs and dogma of a major religion rather than any fundamental concepts of ethics or human rights and thus I think it's invalid. It's not wrong because an intangible parent figure says it is (whom a large portion of people in the world don't believe in).

Though I do agree with your argument that if murder is wrong, then surely execution should be too. That is logic and I like logic. Though I don't necessarily agree that murder is wrong per se and thus don't necessarily agree that capital punishment is wrong per se but hey, that's just me.
  • Options
    Though I don't necessarily agree that murder is wrong per se and thus don't necessarily agree that capital punishment is wrong per se but hey, that's just me.

You dont think that murder is 'wrong?!' Unless you are using 'murder' in the generic sense then that is quite a comment! Murder means to cause the intentional death of another human being. Self defence or other mitigating circumstances would make the offence manslaughter. So I'm dying to hear a reasonable example of where murder could be considered right! (Excuse the pun :) )
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

So, is the execution of a single innocent person acceptable?
  • Options
    Moogs wrote: »
    You dont think that murder is 'wrong?!' Unless you are using 'murder' in the generic sense then that is quite a comment! Murder means to cause the intentional death of another human being. Self defence or other mitigating circumstances would make the offence manslaughter. So I'm dying to hear a reasonable example of where murder could be considered right! (Excuse the pun :) )

Firstly, read my post. Equating what I said, which is that murder is wrong per se to murder isn't wrong is silly. I'm not that stupid though I do occasionally like to play the Devil's advocate.

You've mentioned self-defence which is the biggie. What about killing people in war? Because it's sanctioned by the Government, an organisation of men ie. subject to the same fallacies as everyone else on the planet, does that make it morally right that a soldier kills another man in battle? It may fall under the category of self-defence - 'well I had to kill him as he was going to kill me'. Is this manslaughter or murder? Does it matter? You've still willingly taken another person's life.

You see the difference in the majority of manslaughter cases (with the notable exception of the element of attempt) is the concept of murder being both a legal term (ending another person's life) and a moral one. Now since all morals are ultimately subjective and since you can't get inside someone's head to understand whether there is intent or not, surely one must define murder in such crude terms as the termination of another person's life since we are unable to plug ourselves into the subject's head and since all morals are ultimately subjective and relative.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly you define murder as.
  • Options
    Ok, I think you are verging on looking at evidence of intent which is irrelevant and really overcomplicating a small point. You simply entertained the possibility that it could be right to murder someone and I thought not. As I originally said, it depends on what you meant by murder. Of course I would kill someone in a war if they were waving a gun in my direction and that is not murder (in the conventional sense at least, indeed if you want to discuss whether the war is legal and morally right then perhaps a debate about murder might arise, but we all know thats not how it works!) This thread will run into many more pages if you want to continue debating morals and their subjective value to individuals! At the end of the day, murder is wrong in every sense, that is why it is murder - inherently bad, and never justified. I think you should have probably said you could 'kill someone' rather than murder them!

This is all quite pedantic really eh?!
  • Options
    Moogs wrote: »

say, the person would like to no longer be alive, and you kill them as painlessly as possible

also the person who talked about forensic science being more accurate these days, it is, but the circumstances of a person bodily sample being on someone or on a weapon can only be speculated still most of the time, almost all murder convictions come from confession, not from proving a not guily plea since most murders are statistically carried out by someone who knows them, meaning that forensic evidence is bloody difficult to prove who done it and under what reason (which determines the sentence in most cases ie nalmost self defence > planned)
  • Options
    surely it would stop crime altogether wouldn't it?

Nope .. it wouldn't you'd spent year on death row instead, waiting for appeal after appeal.
  • Options
    On a purely moral level, I can't see any problem with dispatching the likes of rapist murderers and child molestors (Bush and Blair as well, come to think of it!) from the Earth.

The only problem is the issue of false conviction - and if you only advocate the death penalty when backed up with incontrovertible evidence such as DNA, that would create a fucked up situation with "definites" and "maybes" - which contradicts the necessity for conviction only when guilt is beyond possible doubt.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    On a purely moral level, I can't see any problem with dispatching the likes of rapist murderers and child molestors (Bush and Blair as well, come to think of it!) from the Earth.

And what do you think gives you the right to decide that taking someone's life is worth taking to make amends for their crimes? Let him without sin cast the first stone. Plus why do child molestors always get dragged into this? I'm not going to argue in favour of them but I'm just curious as to why everyone always lumps them in with murderers and rapists?
    Moogs wrote:
    Ok, I think you are verging on looking at evidence of intent which is irrelevant and really overcomplicating a small point. You simply entertained the possibility that it could be right to murder someone and I thought not. As I originally said, it depends on what you meant by murder. Of course I would kill someone in a war if they were waving a gun in my direction and that is not murder (in the conventional sense at least, indeed if you want to discuss whether the war is legal and morally right then perhaps a debate about murder might arise, but we all know thats not how it works!) This thread will run into many more pages if you want to continue debating morals and their subjective value to individuals! At the end of the day, murder is wrong in every sense, that is why it is murder - inherently bad, and never justified. I think you should have probably said you could 'kill someone' rather than murder them!

This is all quite pedantic really eh?!

Pedantic? Perhaps but since we're dealing with issues where the slightest difference is potentially important. Small point? No. The element intent often is the deciding factor between murder and manslaughter so no, it's not a small point at all.

I ask you again to define the term 'murder' and how it is any different from killing someone in war. Now this is where I bring up my original argument that it's not wrong per se to kill (murder?) someone. Your argument seems to hinge on the difference you make, yet fail to explain, between 'murder' and 'killing'. I'd quite like to know what difference you draw between the two. I'm not having a go, just interested to see how they're different in your eyes.
  • Options
    Read my post, simply was referring to your use of 'murder' being inappropriate and that using the word killing would have been more appropriate.
  • Options
    Should the death penalty be brought back? A definite yes would be my answer to that. Now, I would not advocate widespread usage of such an extreme and terminal method. For example, I don't think that somebody who steals a tin of beans from a shop should pay for it with his life. I do think, however, that in the case of murderers that death would be the best option. If they've shown they can take a person's life, I don't believe they should be allowed to keep theirs.
  • Options
    In reply to you Thunderstruck:

If you want a simple difference between killing and murdering then this is one quite simple example... (murder is simply an extension of killing, clearly in both cases you are 'killing' the person)

You accidentally hit a drunk guy wandering around the streets in your car = killing

Stabbing a guy in the chest, or perhaps gunning him down whilst he is in a park playing with his children = murder

OBVIOUSLY there is a grey area between these two black and white examples which you are arguing about but what I originally said was simply that 'murder' was the wrong word to use in the context of your post! That was IT.
  • Options
    And what do you think gives you the right to decide that taking someone's life is worth taking to make amends for their crimes? Let him without sin cast the first stone. Plus why do child molestors always get dragged into this? I'm not going to argue in favour of them but I'm just curious as to why everyone always lumps them in with murderers and rapists?

Well, what gives anyone the right to decide any sort of punishment for a given crime? What gives people the right to imprison others for robbery? Assault? Fraud?

As for why people lump child molesters in with rapists and murderers is because...well, what is a child molester who rapes and kills his victim if he isn't a rapist and a murderer? :confused:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Should the death penalty be brought back? A definite yes would be my answer to that. Now, I would not advocate widespread usage of such an extreme and terminal method. For example, I don't think that somebody who steals a tin of beans from a shop should pay for it with his life. I do think, however, that in the case of murderers that death would be the best option. If they've shown they can take a person's life, I don't believe they should be allowed to keep theirs.

so the state has the reight to decide who lives and who dies? would you press the button to kill them?
  • Options
    so the state has the reight to decide who lives and who dies? would you press the button to kill them?
    Here comes the usual attempt to portray all those who are in favour of the death penalty as cold-blooded and heartless. This is ludicrous. I hardly think the state would decide who lives and who dies. That would be decided through the courts. I wouldn't want that sort of power in the hands of politicians.
  • Options
    I think it should in certain cases for example murder aslong as it is proven that the person did it and people dont find out years later that the person didnt actually commit the crime.
    Also rapist and people who sexually abuse children if they show no remorse in what they have done..but maybe death is a bit too much
  • Options
    I'm firmly against the death penalty, for much the same reasons as briggi stated earlier in the thread. Also, I haven't got the statistics to hand as they're filed away somewhere but apparently the cost of keeping someone on Death Row in America is huge, as there is generally a prolonged period of waiting before execution, and state legal aid used in appeals means the cost of sentencing someone to death can be higher than life imprisonment, or something like that.
  • Options
    Here comes the usual attempt to portray all those who are in favour of the death penalty as cold-blooded and heartless. This is ludicrous. I hardly think the state would decide who lives and who dies. That would be decided through the courts. I wouldn't want that sort of power in the hands of politicians.

But it is. The Home Secretary had the final say on whether the death penalty would be carried out. In the US the final say is with state governors (or the President for Federal crimes).

Now I don't think people who support the death penalty are heartless, I just don't think it works and the risk of misscarriages of justice is too high for something which makes no difference to crime figures...
  • Options
    If they've shown they can take a person's life, I don't believe they should be allowed to keep theirs.

So you're in favour of the death penalty because you want revenge, rather than because you want to try and prevent crime in the first place?

There is a logical argument that says that a one-time murderer (not serial killer) is actually far less likely to reoffend than any other type of criminal, because their motive has already been fulfilled. A thief with continue stealing as long as the circumstances drive him or her to that. Someone guilty of assault will continue to get into fights as long as they don't deal with their anger management issues. A murderer has already killed the (often one and only) person they wanted to kill, so the risk to society is minimal.

On the main question, of course it shouldn't be brought back. There is no evidence that it has an effect on homocide figures, one mistake is one mistake too many, and in America a death penalty court case is infinitely more expensive than a non-death penalty court case, even including the cost of life in prison. So life in prison is cheaper, simple to put right if you make a mistake, and makes no difference to the crime occurring in the first place. It's not difficult to see why people come to the conclusion that death penalty supporters are simply after revenge.
  • Options
    Also, I haven't got the statistics to hand as they're filed away somewhere but apparently the cost of keeping someone on Death Row in America is huge, as there is generally a prolonged period of waiting before execution, and state legal aid used in appeals means the cost of sentencing someone to death can be higher than life imprisonment, or something like that.

Not "can be." More like "always is by a long shot."
  • Options
    amnesia wrote: »
    The death penalty is pure hypocrisy. How can you punish the taking of a life by taking a life? Who has the right to decide how much a life is worth?

Then there is the problem of wrongful conviction. With the death penalty, what's done is done. What about people who are wrongfully convicted and then pardoned years later when fresh evidence turns up? If even one innocent person died it would be too many.

Above sums it all for me .. :)

You can't go around saying killing is wrong and then say but it's OK if the State kills then it's OK.
  • Options

actually no, because you said anyone who can show they are capable of killing, the same should happen to them, and thus the executioner CAN kill, that's why i was asking ie it's a contradictory argument
  • Options
    But it is. The Home Secretary had the final say on whether the death penalty would be carried out. In the US the final say is with state governors (or the President for Federal crimes).
    I must accept that the US system regarding the death penalty is far too political. I would not wish a Home Secretary to have such powers myself.
    So you're in favour of the death penalty because you want revenge, rather than because you want to try and prevent crime in the first place?
    I'd bring back the death penalty to discourage crime. If society sends out a message saying "if you're going to kill that person, then you're not going to get to live", that would scare the hell out of some of the vermin that infest our streets at night.
  • Options
    I must accept that the US system regarding the death penalty is far too political. I would not wish a Home Secretary to have such powers myself. .

So unelected judges have the power of life and death instead? who are they accountable too.
    I'd bring back the death penalty to discourage crime. If society sends out a message saying "if you're going to kill that person, then you're not going to get to live", that would scare the hell out of some of the vermin that infest our streets at night

except their's no evidence it decreases crime in the slightest
  • Options
    I'd bring back the death penalty to discourage crime. If society sends out a message saying "if you're going to kill that person, then you're not going to get to live", that would scare the hell out of some of the vermin that infest our streets at night.
    I don't think murderers hang around streets waiting for someone to kill somehow. So you're ignoring all the evidence that points to the fact that on average, the threat of the death penalty has zero effect on the homocide rates in America? In fact, I was reading a pro-death penalty site the other day, and they actually stated that one of the most popular myths about pro-death penalty sites such as that, was that they support the death penalty as a deterrant to crime. They absolutely admitted without question that the there is no evidence to the death penalty as a deterrant to murder. I actually respect them for being so honest, because a lot of sites would take isolated cases of one state at one particular period of time, and use that as "evidence" for the death penalty working.
  • Options
    I must accept that the US system regarding the death penalty is far too political. I would not wish a Home Secretary to have such powers myself. I'd bring back the death penalty to discourage crime. If society sends out a message saying "if you're going to kill that person, then you're not going to get to live", that would scare the hell out of some of the vermin that infest our streets at night.
    That certainly has worked in the US hasn't it?