Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free Oyster Card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/oysteronline/freeoyster/

if you ever plan on going into London then this would be handy
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Handy cheers :thumb:
  • Options
    I got my Oyster Card today, thought it would have had some credit on there, bloody cheapskates :thumb:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I wanted mine to come for when we went to London...still hasnt arrived :( not that I will need it anymore!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm afraid it has been delayed due to signal failure at Tottenham Court Road. :D

What did you expect from Transport For London
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I got my Oyster Card today, thought it would have had some credit on there, bloody cheapskates :thumb:

I had to pay £3 for my Empty Card, so you've saved yourself £3
  • Options
    I still think they are taking the piss, I was expecting some credit on it to get me going.
  • Options
    I got my Oyster Card for free (with regular free top-ups) from the Franki's Wonderful Londoner Boyfriend Company :D.
  • Options
    I still think they are taking the piss, I was expecting some credit on it to get me going.

I think expecting free travel would be taking the piss ..

You got a free card worth £3 in itself and should you decide to come to London you can top it all up from the comfort of your own home
  • Options
    It's pretty good. I'm moving up to London in September so I will definitely be needing one.
  • Options
    I got mine..I don't really get it though.

I come to London quite a lot and usually just get a one-day travel card. I can't see any point in me using the Oyster card?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I got mine..I don't really get it though.

I come to London quite a lot and usually just get a one-day travel card. I can't see any point in me using the Oyster card?
    It works out cheaper if you use your Oyster :yes:.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    It works out cheaper if you use your Oyster :yes:.

Does it? How much cheaper? I often have to go to South-East London, where there's no tube, can I use it on the local trains too?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Does it? How much cheaper? I often have to go to South-East London, where there's no tube, can I use it on the local trains too?
    I have no idea, you'd have to ask a Londoner. I just know that it costs me £1.50 instead of £4 to get to Rich's house from Liverpool St :yes:.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I have no idea, you'd have to ask a Londoner. I just know that it costs me £1.50 instead of £4 to get to Rich's house from Liverpool St :yes:.

I'm pretty sure if you do enough travel round London in a day to need a travel card, then it's the same price whether you buy a travelcard or use your Oyster, as the Oyster would cap the price of travel as soon as you clocked up the price of a travelcard...if you see what I mean! :D
  • Options
    You can't use it on the trains (well you can but only on certain ones) only on tubes busses dlr and i think possibly the tramlink but i'm not sure.

I got my oyster card for free when I bought a weekly travel card from a tube station - you might even get a free one if you buy a 3 day travel card as well - if your clocking up the equivalent of a one day travel card a day then you would be stupid not to invest in a weekly/monthly travel card as they work out even cheaper than using oyster if your using the train/tube lots.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem much point in me using the Oyster card then, if I can't use it on the train. A day travel card I can use on everything.
  • Options
    You can use weekly Travelcards on Oyster on most mainline trains within Zones 1-6 - works out cheaper than a bunch of dailies.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    You can use weekly Travelcards on Oyster on most mainline trains within Zones 1-6 - works out cheaper than a bunch of dailies.

Yeah but I don't go to London for a week, just the odd day or weekend about once a month.
  • Options
    You can use it on trains - i use it from south-east London all the time. You just have to make sure you can 'touch in' on the station you leave from.

If you use it on buses, it costs you £1 instead of £2, and if you, say, get a bus for £1 and a train journey which would have cost you £3.50, it'll automatically change your ticket to a one day travelcard so it gives you the cheapest fares possible. The maximum you'll spend in a day on the Oyster is the price of a one day travelcard - and the travelcard itself costs less on the Oyster.

You can also use it on trams on the Beckenham, Croydon and Wimbledon lines.

It is worth it, i only ever go back to London for odd weekends now, but i always keep it with me. It's very useful, as well, once i arrive into London - i keep money on it so i can hop straight on a bus to London Bridge from Liverpool St, rather than having to make sure i've got cash and pay double for a ticket for the bus.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Oyster is only available on the following rail services:

• Amersham to Marylebone
    • Finsbury Park to King’s Cross/Moorgate
    • Harrow & Wealdstone to Euston (but not at
    Kilburn High Road/South Hampstead)
    • Kentish Town to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/
    London Bridge
    • Liverpool Street to Walthamstow Central
    Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters (but not at
    intermediate stations)
    • Richmond to Gunnersbury
    • Stratford to Liverpool Street
    • Stratford to Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters
    • Upminster to Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street
    via Barking (but not at Forest Gate/Maryland)
    • West Ruislip/South Ruislip to Marylebone
    (but not at intermediate stations)

'One' are in the process of allowing full Oyster soon, all the other operators are worried about losing revenue over it.
  • Options
    I got mine a week ago. I go at least once a month for gigs/shopping/seeing friends/brother. Will be very handy, they just need to put the train fare down (£15 odd when your in the city for four hours for a gig is harsh)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Oyster is only available on the following rail services:

that only applies to pay as you go oyster. the weekly, monthly and annual travelcards are valid on the trains.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    that only applies to pay as you go oyster. the weekly, monthly and annual travelcards are valid on the trains.

Absolutely. As all guards who operate with the TFL area should have suitable equipment. Including Virgin crews for their infrequent services between East Croydon and Kensington Olympia.

In theory of course..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Absolutely. As all guards who operate with the TFL area should have suitable equipment. Including Virgin crews for their infrequent services between East Croydon and Kensington Olympia.

In theory of course..... :rolleyes:
    They are supposed to; but I guess the above refers to the facilities in the station.
  • Options
    If you've got a season ticket on it that's not soley a tfl one then I understand that you need to have the bit of paper they give you too for use on the mainline trains and stations.

If you are only using tube/dlr/buses all day, then oyster will be cheaper.

If you are only using a couple of tube/bus rides and a regular train to get into london then a terminals return and oyster when you get there will be cheaper.

If you are getting the train in and then using lots of tfl when you get there then the paper travelcard combined train ticket is cheaper.
  • Options

If they were issued with credit already on them then surely they would run out very fast as we'd all get as many as we can rather than just one.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    If they were issued with credit already on them then surely they would run out very fast as we'd all get as many as we can rather than just one.

Aslong as I got mine, I dont really care. :D
  • Options
    Although it should be noted, the cheapest way to get and use one is to be the significant other of some that works for tfl. They get em free and free to use. :D
  • Options
    Although it should be noted, the cheapest way to get and use one is to be the significant other of some that works for tfl. They get em free and free to use. :D

Or be old or 'disabled' and get a freedom pass :yes: