Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Petition to pardon Paris Hilton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it were you and me we'd be bending over in the showers right about now. I'm just glad a load of other celebrities are saying she should accept her punishment.
  • Options
    If any opposing points are to be ignored then the only point to this thread seems to be one of mudslinging.

It`s like I have stumbled upon a guy with a box of mushy tomatoes and rotten eggs and he`s handing them out and telling passers-by to throw them at the individual who is stuck in the stocks.

Now that kind of activity isn`t really my thing but that ain`t the problem.

I`ve committed the sin of daring to ask "WHY is that individual in the stocks ?"

Apologies to all concerned for being a party pooper :nervous: :nervous:
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If it were you and me we'd be bending over in the showers right about now. I'm just glad a load of other celebrities are saying she should accept her punishment.

Here here. Saying that, would the other celebrities be quite so supportive of the legal system if the sparkly stilettos were on the other foot?
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    If any opposing points are to be ignored then the only point to this thread seems to be one of mudslinging.

It`s like I have stumbled upon a guy with a box of mushy tomatoes and rotten eggs and he`s handing them out and telling passers-by to throw them at the individual who is stuck in the stocks.

I`ve committed the sin of daring to ask "WHY is that individual in the stocks ?"

You know why she's in the stocks. You might not agree with it, and that is perfectly fine and I for one would be happy to discuss the rights and wrongs of punishing people for 'preventive' purposes- but on a thread devoted to it.

It all boils down to threads being derailed- with an alarming frequency.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    The law is there for a reason, and nobody should be above it. If she doesn't receive the sentence after all, there will be uproar on both sides of the water.
    However, I have to say I am surprised she is using petitions rather than her cheque book to get her out of this one!
  • Options
    Currently the 'Free Paris Hilton' petition has 19,550 signatures. And the 'Jail Paris Hilton' petition has 38,331 signatures :D

Cant help thinking this is turning into a circus. Still shes getting lots of free publicity.

Jail Her
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jailparishilton/

Free Her
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/PH21781/
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »

Like the point I made in the thread on homeschooling yesterday, the question isn't the rights or wrongs of this particular action, it's about the consistancy of the punishment depending on the perpetrator of the percieved offence. In this sense, I guess you agree with this consistancy in that you feel that Paris Hilton shouldn't be punished, and nor should anyone else who commits the same actions. Most other people on the thread feel that she should be punished in the same way as anyone else would be. The important thing is that no-one's being hypocritical, except of course the authors of this petition.
  • Options
    And to think I read something earlier about her being committed to the 45 days and she wasn't going to appeal because she didn't want special treatment for who she was, just not worse. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Like the point I made in the thread on homeschooling yesterday, the question isn't the rights or wrongs of this particular action, it's about the consistancy of the punishment depending on the perpetrator of the percieved offence. In this sense, I guess you agree with this consistancy in that you feel that Paris Hilton shouldn't be punished, and nor should anyone else who commits the same actions. Most other people on the thread feel that she should be punished in the same way as anyone else would be. The important thing is that no-one's being hypocritical, except of course the authors of this petition.

Fair enough.

However,as in the homeschooling thread, the premise from which you begin seems flawed to me.

Since my early academic introduction, and through a lifetime of seeing (both directly and indirectly) the practical applications, the "law" has never seemed consistent to me.

I ask anyone reading to produce a copy of any criminal statute that is consistent. ( I have yet to see one ).

I will go out on a limb and state that, in my experience, the legal system is all about protecting and serving the lawmakers and nothing to do with "justice".

On with the show . . .