Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Extortionate mum

2»

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    and dont forget, his mother isnt obliged to do anything for him - not even let him live there at all. Hes a grown up, not a child.
    Of course she isn't. But what sort of mum screws their son out of every damn penny they have!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    and dont forget, his mother isnt obliged to do anything for him - not even let him live there at all. Hes a grown up, not a child.
    Of course she's not oblijed, but it would make her nice if she treated them more like her children than a bunch of strangers who happen to live there. That's what a parent is, not "They're my kids as long as they're not adults, and after that they're just like John from next door; I'll only help them as long just as I have to".
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote: »
    He's already said above that his loan has been 'suspended' so he clearly doesn't. Hes already mentioned he's paying her out of savings.

And I thought he mentioned elsewhere that he'd actually been paid it, and I seem to remember earlier in the year that he was bragging about how much he had got in grants, some of which will be because he has been assessed as his family not being able to support him financially so expecting him to contribute some of that towards rent at home when he would have been paying it as rent at uni is not unreasonable. IF I've remebered what he said about loans/grants etc right.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And I thought he mentioned elsewhere that he'd actually been paid it, and I seem to remember earlier in the year that he was bragging about how much he had got in grants, some of which will be because he has been assessed as his family not being able to support him financially so expecting him to contribute some of that towards rent at home when he would have been paying it as rent at uni is not unreasonable. IF I've remebered what he said about loans/grants etc right.
    Yeah but its split across three seperate payments. I would assume as he quit before the 3rd installment we wont have recieved it.
  • Options

Just to clear it up a bit;

I received the full loan and maintenence grant. I received this for the first two terms, then nothing afterwards.

I also received a university bursary and scholarship, which was paid into my account the third term. However, I believe this to be a mistake and isn't 'my' money to spend as such. Which is why in the thread about student loans, I've said I was paid when I shouldn't have been.

I'm still a full time registered student and as such, can't receive income support. Technically, I'm on a leave of absence for this term only.

The way income is measured for the grant is the household income. After my dad died that dropped to effectively nil. My mum has never picked up a job afterwards. As she suffers with depression, my brother has been paying the mortgage, bills, and a bit of spending money on top. I'm not sure of the exact figure, but something decent.

Before those begin accusing me of conning the system or whatever, bear in mind that the loans company were made aware and told us that this income does not count as it is a gift or something.

I am looking for a job. I was hesitating to start off with as I suffer with anxiety, and I needed that thread to give me a bit of a kick up the backside.

My mum is well within her rights to kick me out, but I'm back at uni next year, have only missed one term because I decided to change course, but my mum (and others) see me as a drop out. The reason she loves my sis is that she was a tearaway for years, mum got her a private education (£15k per term) and she got expelled. For the first time in her life she's doing something.

I worked hard and got into one of the most prestigious uni's in the country and as soon as I get back she just sees me as a cash cow and doesn't have any respect for what I've achieved. But, I'm not sure if she ever will.

It's a shame that coming back to my own home ruins other people's plans, you would think you'd always be welcomed back by your own family.
  • Options
    I feel bad for you and I know what it feels like. I also dropped out of uni in my first year and was made to feel a bit of a loser, but I went back and worked hard and proved them all wrong. You're not a loser because you change your mind.

There's not much point you finding somewhere to live just for a few months when you'll be back at uni in a few months.

Have you thought about working away for the summer? I seem to remember you were looking for work? You could get a job that provides accommodation, such as PGL which runs activity holidays for kids.

Just seems like you could do with getting away from your family and making the most of the summer.
  • Options
    I don't think you're a drop out. The way I see it is that you feel you made a mistake but it was far too late for you to do anything about it apart from drop out.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I don't think you're a drop out. The way I see it is that you feel you made a mistake but it was far too late for you to do anything about it apart from drop out.

I mean, don't forget I'm still a registered student, just that the admissions tutor for the course I'm changing to said it was probably too late in the year for me to switch to the course now (around Febuary I approached them). But said she'd be happy for me to start in September. So at the end of the term I went home and in reality I'm only home for an extra 8/9 weeks than I would have been anyway.