Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PFA Awards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ronaldo has done the double and the PFA team of the year includes 8 United players. :shocking:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6582201.stm
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd)

and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham)

:thumb:

Obviously I can't disagree with anything there ;)
  • Options
    Can't argue with Berbatov and Drogba up front, they have both been brilliant this season. Bit surprised so many United players are in the team of the year.
  • Options
    And Nakumura wins the Scottish award. Quelle suprise.
  • Options
    Well done Ronaldo :thumb:

I wonder what that ihateronaldo website that lickalotapuss is a member of thinks of this? :lol:

That team of the year should have Essien instead of Gerrard IMO. Gerrard has had a below par season, whereas Essien has been one of Chelsea's stand out players whether he's played centre midfield, centre defence or right back.
  • Options
    Yeah thats a fair comment, but Gerrard always seems to sneek in one way or another. Maybe his status in the game plays a big part in his inclusion, who knows.
  • Options
    Shouldn't Cech be in there instead of Van Der Sar?

Talk about blantant favouritism...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

You mean your obvious favouritism for anybody other than Man Utd, in particular Liverpool that we've seen so often in this forum?

I support my own team, Leicester City, so from the neutral's point of view, I agree Van Der Sar has been particularly outstanding this year, until the last few games where he's made afew errors. And Cech was out for a good chunk of the season, so I think Van Der Sar edges it this year.

8 Man Utd players was maybe a little much, but I think Ronaldo has been the best player in the world this year, so no complaints there...
  • Options

Blatant favouritism? How cynical and misinformed. They don't just pull the names out of a hat you know. It's voted for by the rest of the players in the league. That team consists of the players who the rest of the league believed were the best in their specific positions.

Also, you do know Cech's been out for a huge portion of the season and VDS has been almost flawless this season?
  • Options
    Well done to Ronaldo. He has truly been a cut above the rest.

I suppose the votes were cast a few weeks ago because I too was surprised at Van De Saar getting there in view of his performances recently.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well done to Ronaldo. He has truly been a cut above the rest.

I suppose the votes were cast a few weeks ago because I too was surprised at Van De Saar getting there in view of his performances recently.

Well that's true, but you could still count on 2 fingers the amount of mistakes he's made this season.

No other keeper can boast that, not even Cech.

VDS also usually has more to do than someone like Cech because Chelsea's defensive style means the opposition don't get many opportunities, whereas United always leave themselves open by attacking.
  • Options
    The things that annoys me about these teams of the year are the fact to get in one you have to play for one of the big 5 clubs. For me Ben Foster has been the bext keeper this season, if it wasnt for him then Watford would of been down long before now.

Surely there has been a better left back this year than Evra?
  • Options
    film_buff wrote: »
    Surely there has been a better left back this year than Evra?

Who?

Evra has been a revelation at left-back this season. He kept Heinze out of the team when he was fit, and Heinze is one of the best around.

The players vote for who they think is best in that position during the season. Not just who was best under the circumstances for their club.
  • Options
    David James should have been in the keepers position.
  • Options
    Perhaps Cech or James instead of Van Der Sar.

For what it's worth, here's my team of the year.

Cech

Neville : Vidic : Terry : Shorey

Ronaldo : Scholes : Gerrard : Giggs

Drogba : Doyle

Subs: James (even though he is a Skate), Evra, Carragher, Lennon, Fabregas, Berbatov

Personally, I think Reading have been the success story of the season. Having only been promoted this season and now realistically looking at Europe is a fantastic acheivement. I'd be really surprised if Coppell doesn't get manager of the year given all he's acheived without the millions available to the top clubs. That said, it'll probably go to Ferguson or Mourinho but Coppell has earnt it more than either of those two.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Blatant favouritism? How cynical and misinformed. They don't just pull the names out of a hat you know. It's voted for by the rest of the players in the league. That team consists of the players who the rest of the league believed were the best in their specific positions.

So where's Lampard then? And Essien? And what on earth has Scholes done this season?

And yeah, I know that Cech has been out for quite alot of the season - but when he's not been injured, he's done well.
    I'd be really surprised if Coppell doesn't get manager of the year given all he's acheived without the millions available to the top clubs.

Ditto.
    The things that annoys me about these teams of the year are the fact to get in one you have to play for one of the big 5 clubs.

Which is why I said it was favouritism.

That ebing said, I do agree with Berbatov being included.
  • Options
    The things that annoys me about these teams of the year are the fact to get in one you have to play for one of the big 5 clubs.

Don't you think that may be the reason they are a big 5 club? Because they have awesome players? Most of the time, the reason a team isn't a 'big' club is because the players aren't that great or have been sold to someone else.
    For me Ben Foster has been the bext keeper this season, if it wasnt for him then Watford would of been down long before now.

Don't agree remotely. He's ok but David James' epic clean sheet or Cech's continued acrobatics and general awesome keeping skills surely make them better players than Foster (who was beaten from about 70 yards by Paul Robinson).
  • Options
    So where's Lampard then? And Essien? And what on earth has Scholes done this season?

Lampard?

You are kidding right? He's been distinctly ordinary this season, hense his being dropped from the England team for that last game and getting the arse because the truth hurt him. He's never been half the player Gerrard is anyway. He might bang a few goals in, but he doesn't have the all round influence and leadership of a Gerrard. Playing Gerrard out of position for England to accomodate him is ridiculous...
  • Options
    No I'm not.
  • Options
    No I'm not.

mmmm hmmm okay :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No I'm not.

um, so you think lampard should be in the top 11 but not scholes....what league have you been watching all season?
  • Options
    So what's Scholes done then?
  • Options
    Should've been james or freidel instead of van der sar imo, and fabrigas or essien instead of gerrard (just).
  • Options
    um, so you think lampard should be in the top 11 but not scholes....what league have you been watching all season?

Tell me about it.

Like I said earlier, Man Utd hater. One of those people who will pretend they love any team just so they can put the team they don't like down all the time. I've noticed it alot.

I think Man Utd deserve all the plaudits this year because they've played with flair and style. They've done it the hard way. Chelsea were fantastic the last 2 seasons and kept doing what they had to do to win, but I think it's good for English football to see a team that play this way win stuff, especially with quite a few British players in there and especially since all of our home international teams seem to be clueless right now.
  • Options
    So what's Scholes done then?

He's returned and it's clear he was the missing piece of the Man Utd attacking jigsaw. Always creating, his movement is fantastic, has a great footballing brain and scores goals. I've heard more than a few England fans saying they wish he wasn't retired...
  • Options
    He's returned and it's clear he was the missing piece of the Man Utd attacking jigsaw. Always creating, his movement is fantastic, has a great footballing brain and scores goals. I've heard more than a few England fans saying they wish he wasn't retired...

yep he doesn't get in the box as much as he used to, but he still holds the ball very well, short range passing is excellent and he can ping the ball across the park as well as beckham ever did....plus he scores a few crackers each season, why do you think sven and mcclaren try to get him out of retirement? he's miles better than lampard.
  • Options
    Don't you think that may be the reason they are a big 5 club? Because they have awesome players? Most of the time, the reason a team isn't a 'big' club is because the players aren't that great or have been sold to someone else.

Just because they are awesome players doesnt mean that they are the best performers every season. It does seem that some players seem to get picked because of who they are. Take Gerrard, he has been good but has he really been better than say Essien or even Sidwell. Same with Evra has he really been that much better than Shorey or Matty Taylor.

I take your point about Foster but still I dont think Van der Saar has had a better season than someone like David James.

Also whoever said that Scholes hasnt done anything this season must not have watch any games all season. Scholes has been the under recognised player of the season. At Man Utd Ronaldo and Rooney get all the plaudits while Scholes just does his job ever week.
  • Options
    Just because they are awesome players doesnt mean that they are the best performers every season. It does seem that some players seem to get picked because of who they are. Take Gerrard, he has been good but has he really been better than say Essien or even Sidwell. Same with Evra has he really been that much better than Shorey or Matty Taylor.

I put Shorey in my team because I think he's been outstanding this season. Doyle is also in my team.

Essien has been a bit of a spectator this season much like Lampard. I think Gerrard has had a great season. That and I could never put a Skate in my first team.
  • Options
    TBH I expected Scholes to get Player of the Year.

What's he done? :lol: Yeah, he's done nothing. Personally I would take the professionals opinion on that, you know those who play against him to be a little more informed that anyone here.
  • Options
    It all seems fair enough. Van Der Sar's form has been dodgy recently but the vote was a couple of weeks back wasnt it. Ronaldo can do some amazing things with a ball too. Dont think i could replicate it for my 6 aside team. ;)
  • Options

:lol:

You either live in last season or you're just being anti Man United. :chin:

Paul Scholes has been the best midfielder in the country this year. He's twice the player Lampard will ever be and would walk back into the England team if he could be bothered. Lampard epitomises overrated - hollywood passes, deflected goals and penalties. That's Lampard. He hasn't got anything on Scholes. I would say Paul Scholes is the best playmaking midfielder in the country and one of the best in Europe. Not that he needs to prove anything to the likes of you or I, seeing as it's his fellow-professionals who vote for the awards. Seeing as they're the ones who play against him week in week out, I think they're pretty well placed to judge.

As for Essien, well I think he deserves a place in the team ahead of Gerrard. In fairness to Gerrard though, he's done a good job despite Rafa playing him out of position, and in some Liverpool games he wins the match single-handedly.

Van Der Sar and Gerrard are the only really clear bones of contention in my eyes. The keeper one is tricky because people will always say oh James or Foster have been better, simply because they've had more to do and more shots to save. Oh, and Cech has made mistakes this season when fit. In fact he made one only last week against Wesh Ham. He'd also made a couple early in the season before his injury (against Middlesborough I think?). Chelsea's defence didn't start the season well at all and that was when they were all fit!