Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TheCOLDEST PLACE IN AMERICA ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    'Tis a catch 22 situation, dagnabbit.

But alas, at the moment I think it's inappropriate.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    But alas, at the moment I think it's inappropriate.

Well when will it be appropriate? I don't think it ever will be because firstly its an offensive joke and secondly, just because its not being reported on the news anymore doesn't mean that people aren't still grieving.
  • Options
    Walking on eggshells? Hardly. 32 people were senselessy murdered less than a week ago, yet you find it ok that someone who's hardly posted on here in months come on, spouts some insensitive BS, and then leaves again? And more so, you find yourself 'laughing your arse off'? Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the opinion that the dead deserve a little bit more respect.

So how long should we wait, a week? a month? At what timeframe does it because more respectful to tell a joke like this?
    I'm all for free speech

Clearly not...
    it really has the feeling of dancing on someone's grave.

No, dancing on the graves would be continue to argue for open gun laws, to argue for reduced mental health services etc these are what really lay behind this massacre.

How about we focus our outrage on the cause of these types of massacres and not the jokes about them. Talk about poor sense of perspective.
  • Options
    So how long should we wait, a week? a month? At what timeframe does it because more respectful to tell a joke like this?

I was juuust about to say this.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    It's still too soon. What's hard to understand? I've laughed at Michael Jackson jokes, the bloke who killed the prostitutes in the space of a month, Steve Irwin and all that but it's been after it's happened where it's not so speculated by the media. It's good manners I reckon to wait a while before all this.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think a couple of weeks (or however long) is the difference between a joke being innapropriate in the extreme and pretty funny. Also, if you told that joke in a few months when it was out of the news then it'd wouldn't be topical and even less funny e.g imagine how pointless it'd be if somebody made the Steve Irwin joke now.

Have to say though, I didn't really see much point in Rolly coming on, posting that then buggering off again whereas if it was mentioned in passing between mates in a pub then it'd have seemed a more appropriate platform.
  • Options
    Although it's entirely subjective, I think common sense would dictate that a week is clearly too soon... Although obviously you disagree. And anyway, a joke like this is always going to be 'disrespectful', but that's not to say it can't be acceptable after a time.
    Clearly not...
    Well, I think every one has their 'tipping point' as far as free speech is concerned. I'm not sure how you can entirely correlate me saying 'I think this is insensitive and shouldn't be joked about right now' is tantamount to me being against free speech. I'm pretty sure that you would denouce BNP policy regardless of the fact it's based on free speech laws.
    No, dancing on the graves would be continue to argue for open gun laws, to argue for reduced mental health services etc these are what really lay behind this massacre.
    Split hairs all you want, but I remain of the opinion that jokes of this type, so soon after the event, smacks of inhumanity and disrespect for life.
    How about we focus our outrage on the cause of these types of massacres and not the jokes about them. Talk about poor sense of perspective.
    Well, to be fair I think you can do both. It's not exactly difficult to do so. To turn it around, how about focussing our outrage on the causes of these types of massacres instead of making jokes about it and applauding those who do so? Talk about a poor sense of perspective.

Like I said, there's not much point in arguing/debating this, cause I know there is no chance anyone will budge on this issue (and that kind of mentality I've noticed is endemic on here). I think it's disrespectful, rude, insensitive, and uncompassionate. Whether you think it's not is entirely up to you, and I respect your choice. All I would ask for is the same for myself and others who share that opinion on here, rather than quips about 'PC gone mad' and 'Jeez, life's too short to be treading on eggshells'.

Definitely the last I'm gonna say about it. :/