Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Learning to Drive...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I emailed a driving school about starting up lessons again (previously had 20+ hours of prof tuition) about 3 weeks ago.

I can't bring myself to phone up and book my first lesson and I keep putting it off. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    I got my mum to do it lol. I was a total wreck my first lesson but i'm getting better in each one.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    So, I emailed a driving school about starting up lessons again (previously had 20+ hours of prof tuition) about 3 weeks ago.

I can't bring myself to phone up and book my first lesson and I keep putting it off. Any advice?

Why are you still nervous if you have already had 20+ lessons? I would suggest get someone else to do it.
  • Options
    I just can't stop feeling aprehensive. My last driving instructor was pretty bad and I was a passenger in quite a serious RTA last year. (Which I've only just got permission for physio, and my claim still isn't resolved)

I really need to get my licence, but I'm procrastinating. I'm stuck.
  • Options
    Are you actually ready to start learning again?
  • Options
    Is anyone ever 'ready' to learn to drive? :S
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    hmmm i would advise going with a bigger driving school such as AA or BSM. I prefer the way they teach and feel more confident. Is it just the one driving school you have been with? its definitely worth trying another
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    hmmm i would advise going with a bigger driving school such as AA or BSM. I prefer the way they teach and feel more confident. Is it just the one driving school you have been with? its definitely worth trying another

not good if you're on a budget though
  • Options
    I have had about 30 hrs of lessons over the last 3-4 years on and off. I seem to be doing really well and then stop doing them and by the time I start to learn again I have forgot (not the basics but have forgot certain things)

Ilora - I am still uneasy now in a car and I had a serious accident when I was 14, so 7 years ago now. Just get back into it. I have had a car (y reg) since July and have been paying tax and insurance on it and have still not took any lessons or drove in it so I am going to sell it now. Too much money to be sitting on a driveway! My parents say it is laziness, but I still do feel anxious in a car even as a passenger.

But bite the bullet and do it now. The longer you put it off that harder it is going to get. (I should really listen to my own advice here)
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    I don't want to go with a big firm, as I was with a relatively big firm last time (Clickdrive). Plus, I cannot afford AA or BSM prices.

I've been recommended my mates instructor, who I contacted VIA email and he was happy to take me on. I just can't bring myself to pick up the phone and book a lesson.
  • Options
    Just pick up the phone. I dont really like phones but i had to recently to organise various things with my bank. Its not at all bad once you're talking to someone.
  • Options
    Is there anyone who could take you out driving before your lesson?

I learnt to drive in a private car park round the corner before i took lessons, so all lessons taught me were techniques, maneuvers and stuff. If someone else could take you out for half an hour you might feel better about getting back into a car. Then can't you arrange a lesson over email?

You won't regret it, i don't know what i'd do if i couldn't drive, it's amazing!
  • Options
    I drove my mum's Rav on the beach when we went to wales a couple of weeks ago, and I was fine...

I just don't know what's stopping me pick up the phone. Arrrgfh.
  • Options
    I drove my mum's Rav on the beach when we went to wales a couple of weeks ago, and I was fine...

I just don't know what's stopping me pick up the phone. Arrrgfh.

Weren't you in a head on collision with some women trying to kill herself?

If so I'd be afraid too.
  • Options

don't do it, if you don't have the intention to learn. If you are not calling you don't want to motivate yourself for it, and you clearly do not grant it a lot of value at the moment.

priorities will shift, and (maybe) soon you will call them up, because you want to resume your driving lessons.
  • Options
    To be honest, i was very unmotivated to learn to drive - i grew up in London, which does have a very good public transport system, and i knew i couldn't afford a car then even if i did pass my test. Also, i'm quite a nervous passenger in cars, so i didn't really like the idea of being in control of one.

I had a load of lessons (about 10) when i was 17, went on holiday then just didn't ring my instructor and book any more, then i started learning again when i was 19 but hated my instructor - he was the original slimy git. In the end, when i was 20, mum said to me that if i wanted to drive, i had to do it NOW and she would pay for a load of lessons for me. I did it quite quickly, in about 8 weeks, passed my test second time and i wouldn't be without my car. It really helped that i a) had a really good instructor who i got on with fantastically and b) i had something to work towards, in that my mum had said when i was in london i could use her car - plus, living in Norwich is a bit crap without a car cos the public transport up here is shockingly bad.

So yeah. You need to find something to motivate you, and find an instructor you get on with well, it helps so much.

I was going to say something else to go with that, but my brain has melted :(

ETA: Oh yeah, and i don't know anyone who didn't hate learning to drive. It sucks, it's really crap and time consuming and can be a bit dispiriting... but it's so different once you've stopped learning and start driving for yourself. I used to hate my driving lessons (not anything about them, just having driving lessons) and now i'm perfectly happy to drive all over the place.
  • Options
    I'll agree with you on learning being a right pain I gave up for three months during my lessons because I stalled the car 3 times at a busy junction and pissed everyone behind me off :\

At the end of the day though see it as a challenge to overcome and take it one step at a time. Once you have your licence and your confidence in the car grows you won't regret it.

Be honest with your instructor about how you feel and make sure you get on well with them, just change if you feel things aren't working.

Good luck with whatever you decide anyways :)
  • Options
    I pretty much hate driving, when I was learning to drive I felt so nervous and although I wasn't a bad driver, I just felt like I had no right to be on the roads...weird I know! When I passed my test I was really pleased but I have found that it is taking me a lot to get confident and brave enough to go out driving. I get quite worked up about it but I know that the more I practice the better it will get. It is hard work learning to drive and even if you decide driving isn't for you at least you will have a license and never have to go through all that again! Just pick up the phone and call, write down some prompting notes of things you want/need to ask if you are really nervous.
  • Options
    Is anyone ever 'ready' to learn to drive? :S

Yes, definately!

If you're not really motivated to do it and you aren't desperate to be behind the wheel for the freedom / fun etc then perhaps you aren't ready. If you can get a lift to places of public transport isn't a bother in your area then maybe you aren't ready? I dunno, just that fact that you're putting it off would suggest that in some small way you might not be ready.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    I get quite worked up about it but I know that the more I practice the better it will get.

This is so true. I really enjoyed my lessons and passed first time! When I was allowed on the road myself I felt really nervous. If I had to drive somewhere I'd never been before I would panic. It took a couple of years before I was truely at ease. I've been driving for 6 years now and I really enjoy it!
  • Options
    Once you have learnt and have passed and got your own car and stuff then you will have a level of freedom previously not available to you.

If that's not inspirational, don't bother learning. Noone's forcing you to.
  • Options
    I hate using the phone and faced the same problem when booking up my first lesson. Just take a deep breathe and do it. It's like 2mins of your time and you will feel so much better afterwards. I'd just give the first lesson a try. It's good if this instructor was actually reccomended to you by a friend, they will probably be very nice and if you're still apprehensive I'd let them in on why. I'm sure that they will be very understanding. Good luck.
  • Options
    I keep putting off booking my 1st lesson too I have nothing standing in my way really as my dad has offered to pay like he did for my bro.
  • Options
    Am i the only one who looked forward to my driving lessons?!

I was in a car accident too, which makes me a very nervous passenger. In fact most of the time i refuse to go in other peoples cars, so my incentive was that if i learn to drive myself i can have independance without having to be a victim of other peoples driving.

I passed my test first time after about 12 lessons and havent looked back since. Practice and experience are the most important parts of driving and i feel completely safe with my driving (its just some other people on the roads that make me fear for my own safety :banghead: )
  • Options
    I used to look forward to my driving lessons. I was fucking desperate to pass my test though.

I think Illora has phone phobia and driving anxiety. You might feel better after the first lesson? See if you can get someone to book it for you.