Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fancy dress - religion theme

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've got one of these this weekend. fancy dress things are such a pain in the ass. anyone got any good/funny ideas what i could go as?

Comments

• Options
    satan :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm waiting for Rubberskin to suggest going as Adam :p
  • Options
    a rabbi
  • Options
    Somehow go as L. Ron Rubbard. Perhaps staple a copy of his book to your forehead. Or Xenu. Both of these have the added bonus of people asking you what the fuck you're supposed to be dressed as then looking at you like you're weird when you tell them.

Alternatively, Vishnu/Ganesha, Ra, Anubis, Thor, Poseidon, or one of the Titans such as Atlas. Or a voodoo priest.

Or uh, whatever.
  • Options
    I considered dressing as Jesus for a Christmas Party once. Go as Jesus. Or the four horsemen of the apocolypse. All at once.
  • Options
    What's the betting 800 people at the party will go as Jesus.

If there's Muslims going, dress as the prophet Muhammed. Comedy will ensue.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Or Xenu.

Like this? :razz:

South_Park_Xenu.jpg

Alternatively, could go as Tom Cruise, perhaps with a top-gun look.
  • Options
    Father Jack
    Buddha
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Like this? :razz:

South_Park_Xenu.jpg

YES!

Or this: http://historyofscientology.ytmnd.com/

Man I love Scientologists. Those guys are fucking crazy.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Father Jack

YES YES AND WITH YOUR FLAWLESS IRISH TONES YOU'LL BE FLAWLESS!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    A vicar?
  • Options
    A vicar?

just like jesus, that's something loadsa people will turn up in. it's like the easiest no-thought no-effort costume ever!
  • Options
    The Pope :thumb:

See if you can borrow one of those electric shopping carts and a white bed sheet and thats it sorted :D
  • Options
    just like jesus, that's something loadsa people will turn up in. it's like the easiest no-thought no-effort costume ever!

Ha, fair enough :p
  • Options
    i told you, a rabbi....its pretty easy too
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    The Pope :thumb:

See if you can borrow one of those electric shopping carts and a white bed sheet and thats it sorted :D

the guy who's hosting the party is going as the pope.

in fact the party has been dubbed 'popefest'.

and Dinted, yes i'm listening to all suggestions. rabbi would be quite easy. black suit, round hat, twirly black hair extensions?
  • Options
    the guy who's hosting the party is going as the pope.

in fact the party has been dubbed 'popefest'.

and Dinted, yes i'm listening to all suggestions. rabbi would be quite easy. black suit, round hat, twirly black hair extensions?
    exactly. none of this spending money on costumes lark.

more money for beer. hurrah
  • Options
    Are you an old man cos then you could go as God
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    If there's Muslims going, dress as the prophet Muhammed. Comedy will ensue.

Aw, fucking genius. Do that. Prepare to be punched in the face though.

If you can get two of every animal, you could go as Noah.

Or Brian off The Life Of Brian

Or The Exorcist

Or a Monk - like Paul Bettany in The Da Vinci Code

Or Thor

Or Zeus
  • Options
    fATHER TED
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Father Jack
    Buddha

Ha, Father Jack would be class. Plus you get to do lots of random shouting which is never a bad thing.

But to add my tuppence-worth...

I've been to two fancy dress parties with religious themes (there should be more, there is so much material to cover!), though they didn't have a lot of cultural/religious diversity as I think most people had fallen straight out of the bible.

The first time I went as "all things bright and beautiful" and basically just wore all white (black would work) and had pictures and objects pinned all over me to symbolise the bright and beautiful - I went for the "intelligent" interpretation of "bright" and had pictures of Einstein, an exam with a big red 'A' on it, a big rubber brain etc attached... though bright in the sense of lightbulbs etc would work, too! For beautiful I had pictures of various beautiful famous people, flowers in my hair and hanging off me etc. It was... interesting, if a bit confusing for people. But I like obscurity in fancy dress, so it worked for me :thumb:

The second time I went as Joan of Arc, which I guess you wouldn't want to do! Worked well, though.

The other costumes I can remember are:

Pontius Pilate - with waterbowl prop (which sadly turned into a punchbowl rather too quickly) and Roman official-type garb.
    St George - with dead "dragon" draped over his shoulder. You could easily do St Patrick by dressing all in green, throttling a snake or two (erm...) and having a shamrock to hand to do some trinity-based preaching. A few empty cans of Guinness hanging 'round your neck wouldn't go amiss... tie in with the modern image of him as well ;)
    The Good Samaritan - had a sandwich board-type thing with Samaritans charity posters front and back, and a makeshift halo to make him "good".
    Moses - such a complex character the bloke in question had a blood-stained knife, tablets with the ten commandments, a bible with only Genisis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy in AND a massive walking stick. I don't know how you feel about pyrotechnics... a burning bush might be overkill I suppose! He didn't bother with that particular detail...
    John the Baptist replete with head on a plate.
    The Virgin Mary.
    The Holy Ghost - in a white bedsheet with bible in hand
    The Feeding of the Five Thousand. Self-explanitory, really, though we kept finding random loaves and fishes 'round the house for weeks afterwards :razz:
    There were loads of nuns, monks, priests, one cardinal a few popes and an angel Gabriel. I can only remember one Jesus, strangely enough, but he had gone the whole hog... covered in blood, crown of thorns, pretendy sword sticking out of his side, cardboard crucifix on his back... at least 'til he wanted to sit down.

My lazy as hell boyfriend at the time of the second party went as Judas. Looped a little bag of silver 'round his wrist and walked around with a sneaky/guilty look on his face the whole time - it wasn't much of a character stretch, I tell thee :lol:

Aw I wish I was going to a religious-themed fancy dress party now, have fun! :D
  • Options
    What about a Hare Krishna, with orange robes and sandals?

Or a woman in a Burqha (might be a bit hot though and no-one will recognise you).

I'd say go as an Orthadox Jew, the top hats and curly side burns are pretty cool.
  • Options
    a white bedsheet with holes cut in it....the holy ghost
  • Options
    Some excellent ideas!

Briggi, sounds like a hell of a party. Not sure if my friends will go to the same efforts considering after about 2 hours they'll all be fucked and costumes ruined! One of my mates is going as Pontius Pilate, basically dressed as a pilot wearing boxing gloves!

I like the Noah idea. Could get lots of little plastic animals and bring them round with me, and have an umbrella.

I'd love to do the prophet mohammed. I'm almost sure there'd be no muslims there to offend, but I still don't like those odds, because it could go horribly wrong if there was.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    YES YES AND WITH YOUR FLAWLESS IRISH TONES YOU'LL BE FLAWLESS!!!!!!!!!

Father Jack!! :hyper:
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    a white bedsheet with holes cut in it....the holy ghost

lol! original :p
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

dont be facetious :p
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

Like you wouldn't have said it if you got there first. :p
  • Options
    Briggi, I liked the one about 'the feeding of the 5 thousand' so decided to use it, especially after I saw two rubber orange fish in the costume shop - i had actually been in there to get stick on scars to go as a leper!

got 5 small loaves from tesco, and a purple biblical looking pashmina from a charity shop. gonna string it all together later on and hope it comes off.

of my mates so far i've heard about: the pope, the lamb of God, Mother Theresa, a Glasgow Rangers bigot (religion themed I suppose). other people are keeping it a secret so i'm hoping for some good stuff.
  • Options
    How did it go, then? Did you - and your loaves and fishes - have fun? :D