Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mid 20s and still living at home?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Moving out this summer - I'll be 22 and just graduated. Pretty normal I feel.

Just count your blessings - in Italy, the normal age for men to move out is 35 and even then it's more often than not within 1km of the family home (so mama can do the washing once a week - something I can bear testiment following my time in Italia :D)
  • Options
    I think it can be difficult for some people to leave home, for various reasons. I don't think adults living with their parents is a problem per se, it very much depends on the kind of relationship they have with their parents. I have known people who were aged 25 plus, still living with their parents, but the parents recognised that they were adults, allowed them to grow up and didn't do everything for them, so no problem.

Me, I left home at 17.
  • Options
    I'd moved out by yet, if I had time to work part time. I'm working at a very hard degree and just had to pass up an opportunity to move out.

My own flat, 40m², rooms 3.60 meters high, so you can build galleries and enlarge the living area. few, but nice neighbours great public access. nice view (first story), calm area for 150€ a month (~100quid) and my father said he'd support me with 100€ a month. (Of course I'd get the child support money too), but I'm short of cash and I don't see much disadvantages living at home.

The friends of mine who do live on their own, are half depressed and are trying to escape their alone-time as much as possible.

hmm, i dunno.
  • Options
    100 a month! that's bloody cheap!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    100 a month! that's bloody cheap!

i know. It's a real occasion. It's even really good for austrian measures.

I am actually still thinking about it, maybe turn studying down one or two notches and start working, but I am unsure.

Like I said, all my mates who live on their own, try to escape their flats, and I have the feeling they virtually moan instead of being bright when it's driving-back-home time.
  • Options
    well, I would stay at home personally- where else are you gonna get help to make those delicious looking cakes?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    well, I would stay at home personally- where else are you gonna get help to make those delicious looking cakes?

I do them myself :p

Living at home has many advantages and I am on good terms with my fam... with my whole fam, we attend pretty much every birthday and I have like 24 cousins.

I know I am doing zilch for living here, just cooking here and there, walking the dog and helping my dad occasionally with grunt work.
    Moreover don't we pay rent, because we own that flat (large penthouse) and my oldies would get nothing out of my empty room.

I just like being somewhere where it's lively (because of other people) and not deadsilent...

disadvantage would be bringing home random chicks, but well... that hasn't happened yet :p
  • Options
    I'm 26 and back living at home after having moved out and bought my own house. I still have the house, I just can't afford to live in it on my own since I split with my ex. I know quite a few people who find themselves suddenly single (especially when they're a bit older, and all their mates already have places, so no chance of a flatshare), and have no option but to rent a complete shithole, or go home.

I have always had a really relaxed relationship with my parents though, so it works for us. They've always trusted me to do whatever I want, and I've never given them a reason not to. I do value my independence, but I get enough of it here, and I'm not about to bankrupt myself in search of more.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with it, theres no point funding all those buy to let investors and it gives my mum extra income ^
  • Options
    Depends what you mean by left home. I'm not sure I ever actually had a date when I could say I left

I went to University and came back in the holidays, then spent a short whilst at my parents before going to Sandhurst. But for several years after I had my bank address et al as my parent's house, would go back when on leave etc.

Even now my parent still have my room as bedroom and its still got some of my stuff there (some books, board games, old tennis racquet etc). I didn't move, so much as drift away...
  • Options
    I moved out of home when I was 21/22. I have been away from home since and I have to say once you move out of the parents home, you can't go back!! I can last about a week/week and a half at my parents now!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Maybe you're getting more European.

Many of my mates in Spain still lived with their parents by the time they were 30. They way they see it, who'd want to walk away from cheap rent and good food and care from mum? :D

Seriously though, property is very expensive in Spain in relation to what people earn down there, and there has always been a mentality of letting your children live with you for as long as they need (within reason- after 30 questions might begin to get asked).

It's not necessarily European, it's very very Spanish. I remember discussing this in Spanish lessons, and how it's different from at least Denmark.
  • Options
    i dont know why people live at home untill there lik 30 i dont get it as soon as im likw 18 im mmoving out and getting my own life my own house so i can then blast out dimmu borgir and not get a good cloating around the head yeh i know it'll be hard living on my own ill be lonley awell ill get over it
  • Options
    I live in London where I study, I never wanna move back home.
  • Options
    i dont know why people live at home untill there lik 30 i dont get it as soon as im likw 18 im mmoving out and getting my own life my own house so i can then blast out dimmu borgir and not get a good cloating around the head yeh i know it'll be hard living on my own ill be lonley awell ill get over it

ever heard of punctuation?
  • Options

Lets proceed and talk about it when you are 18 then.

or if you are able to fill out a document for buying your own house in correct orthography.
  • Options
    I'm cohabiting, but I wouldn';t be able to afford it if I were single, so i'd defintely consider moving back in with my rents.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    With the prices of houses and general living in the UK, who is supprised?