Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal Trainer - your experiences?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been considering joining a gym lately but knowing how weak willed I can be when it comes to physical exercise I thought it would be a good idea to look into getting a personal trainer. I thought if I had an appointment to see a personal trainer every week not only would it give me a good reason to stick to going to the gym but give me someone to pace me and challenge me and hopefully help to record my achievements. This is my idea of what a personal trainer might do, but as I have little experience of this kind of stuff I wanted to know what people's experiences were.

So has anyone had a personal trainer, if so what was it like, did it help you achieve what you set out to do? Are there bad points other than expense?

Comments

• Options
    Most gyms will offer you a personal training program anyway and the instructors in my experience are more than happy to help so its probably not worth the extra expense of getting a private one...
  • Options
    I see, thats a good point...but I still think I need the commitment of a personal trainer appointment to ensure I go! I'm so weak!!!
  • Options
    id say go for it...i had one for a while and she was amazing, she did a body profile/assesment, talked to me about what i enjoy and what i am good at and worked with what i wanted to do. She was good in that she even woke me up in the morning to make sure i got there on time (im a lazy cow and sleep till 2pm easily). Personal trainers are also good if you give up easily, because they do this whole pep talk thing which makes you realise exactly what you were trying to achieve in the beginning.

I loved my trainer....unfortunately i had to give up my personal training to get my new car and i havent been to the gym since :(. But i want to start again next month....i would highly advise you to get one.

ETA: Must go to the gym sometime tomorrow!
  • Options
    Thanks Amira, thats exactly what I was hoping someone would say, I have this idealised vision of what a personal trainer should be but wasn't sure if my thoughts were close to reality! Sounds like they are though, which is great :yippe:
  • Options
    well dont expect them all to give you wake up calls :p
  • Options
    yea and the one at my gym would just be worth hiring out to look at is body
  • Options
    yea and the one at my gym would just be worth hiring out to look at is body

:lol:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Most gyms will offer you a personal training program anyway and the instructors in my experience are more than happy to help so its probably not worth the extra expense of getting a private one...

In my experience, personal training programs are rarely if ever free.

They may do you a card with some stuff written on (a quick workout plan) but that *isn't* personal training.

A personal trainer will work you harder than you ever would yourself, and you will get better results. Especially good if you are starting out so you get your perfect form.

Also remember that you're not paying a personal trainer to chat to you or be your buddy. You're paying them to TRAIN you. If you find you spend half the time chatting, I would request a different trainer as you are NOT getting your £££ worth.

One of the best things I heard from my mate (a top class trainer) is that on a high end course he did, the guy leading the course said "With personal training, you've got an hour to do as much damage as you can". Sums it up perfectly to me.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Also remember that you're not paying a personal trainer to chat to you or be your buddy. You're paying them to TRAIN you. If you find you spend half the time chatting, I would request a different trainer as you are NOT getting your £££ worth.

One of the best things I heard from my mate (a top class trainer) is that on a high end course he did, the guy leading the course said "With personal training, you've got an hour to do as much damage as you can". Sums it up perfectly to me.

That's a really good point, I wouldn't have thought of that but you are absolutely right, if I am going to spend money investing in personal training I want someone who is going to be really focused and help me stay focused.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    That's a really good point, I wouldn't have thought of that but you are absolutely right, if I am going to spend money investing in personal training I want someone who is going to be really focused and help me stay focused.

Yeah, it genuinely winds me up when you see trainers either flirting with/general chit-chatting with clients.. Especially when you're paying £35/hour and upwards for their 'attention'. My trainer friend positively FUMES when he sees it. We're pretty good friends but when he was training me last year, we barely spoke a word that wasn't related to attempting to kill me (or at least, that's how it felt! :lol: ). Before and after the session, it was all cool though - yabbering away as usual!