Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

judging people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that you're quite judgemental?

I was having a conversation with someone today after watching Wife Swap and the jist was that I wouldn't judge a person because of their accent or what background they've come from but when the fufill all the stereotypical criteria for a certain kind of person (in this instance chavs) it does make me laugh.

Also after the conversation I've found myself feeling quite bad. For a while I volunteered at a community centre and as a result got to meet people quite high up in the council. The community centre itself is bustling with new ideas about making the area a better place to live and blah blah blah. My friend who works there is so so talented. He's practically completely self taught (best kind really) and his brain always seems to be buzzing with ideas.

He comes into work pretty unshaven and wears charity shop gear and elastic bands on his wrist and is uhh pretty eccentric. The cliche student look I guess and I can see people's faces when he meets them. There's this one particular suit from the Council and you can just tell that he is pretty vacuous. He's sitting there in a meeting with my friend who has so many ideas yet is so disorganised he jots them in pencil on a napkin and this Suit is just slowly moving away from him. You can tell the Suit is intimidated.

Ahh I don't know. I'm going off on my point..if I even have one. Basically this suit who is pretty high up in the council and gets paid a ton yet is so dim it's untrue and my friend who is donned in charity shop gear throwing ideas and thoughts everywhere. Sometimes it just seems unfair. Even if he does prefer charity shop gear.

Then you get the youth workers at the centre who have BEEN THERE AND DUN IT ALL therefore can relate to young folk better. I've been to youth programmes..one in particular this Americano type course called 'STEP 4WARD' (I bet every teen out there appreciated the 4 in the word foward..NOT) Anyway the course was run by a woman who wanted to let us all know that she could relate because of her rough childhood. Take away all this pseudo-bonding 'HEY IM DYSLEXIC TOO' bollocks and she was pretty shit at her job.

I've become seriously pessimistic of late and obsessed with the word cliche.

Someone tell me I'm not going through a phase or am a cold hearted human being plz?

Comments

• Options
    what the hell was that??? you should of put it in anyting goes sounds like you wanted to ramble on about some course you did
  • Options
    I am probably extremely judgemental about other people. Thing is though i hate it when people are judgemental of me. I know people look at me and assume i'm thick, have 9 children and live in a council house. Damn them all :D
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote: »
    what the hell was that??? you should of put it in anyting goes sounds like you wanted to ramble on about some course you did

Wow how astute are you??
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    Do you think that you're quite judgemental?

Of course.
  • Options
    I'm quite judgemental.

There's a girl I used to work with who kept on about how pretty she was, and how confident she was and how all the blokes looked at her. I find people like that vile, so I was quite stand offish with her and didn't speak to her unless I had to. One drunken night out she told everybody that she was really insecure, and she said stuff like that to try and justify it to herself. From then on we were good pals, which is a fine example of why you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I still do it though :p

People I know think I'm a bit silly, immature and not massively intelligent. Not really bothered, but everybody judges people so w00t w00t.
  • Options
    Everyone judges people.

People that know me but who aren't close friends of mine, see me as a 'druggy' who doesn't really give a fuck about his future or achieving any happiness in life except for getting high. lol I couldn't give a shit though because I know who I am better than anyone else.
  • Options
    Do you ever feel bad about judging people? I know that it's natural and that everyone does it but...

I don't know.

Say you were a social worker, wouldn't that get in the way of your job? It seems to me that people in our local council smile and say they want to help on the surface but you can imagine when a 'chav' mum has gone away they either think or say neg stuff about em.
  • Options
    I've come to realise that there are millions of unintelligent people, and that I'm not one of them. Maybe that's judgmental but I don't care.

I am a judgmental person - you gotta have standards...

There are definitely some jobs that I simply couldn't do, because I'm judgmental of the people I'd come across. But I'm contented in the career I have chosen to enter and contented with the thought of the people I may meet.

It's human nature to judge.
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote: »
    I'm feeling judgemental about you right now! :p

I reckon I am quite judgemental but I keep it to myself. Everyone judges ... if you don't you are lying!
  • Options
    I don't consider myself to be judgemental really...

People are people, end of.
  • Options
    I've come to realise that there are millions of unintelligent people, and that I'm not one of them. Maybe that's judgmental but I don't care.

I think intelligence comes in many forms. Being clever isn't all down to achievments and qualifications. With you, maybe this is judgement but I don't think you're all that clever in people skills and that's just going from how you act online.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    I think intelligence comes in many forms. Being clever isn't all down to achievments and qualifications. With you, maybe this is judgement but I don't think you're all that clever in people skills and that's just going from how you act online.
    I haven't posted in this thread to be judged for it! I'm laying it on the line, as the OP has asked us to. Don't start attacking my values when I'm being honest enough to share them.
  • Options
    Yea I think everyone is precautious and has certain expectations and/or concerns about people, because very often they seem prove true. People usually remember the times they have been right about prejudices and just take their mistakes with an "oh, must've been wrong here." before it vanishes into the deep of the eternal subconsciousness.

I of course have expectations and concernes too about people when I notice the first few things about them, but I usually don't deny anyone's chance to prove himself, if I do not have stalwart evidence that this person is [so and so].

Problem is tho, that I am a person who needs a reason and an explanation for everything, so I pidgeonhole people I cannot entierly grasp from time to time.
  • Options
    I haven't posted in this thread to be judged for it! I'm laying it on the line, as the OP has asked us to. Don't start attacking my values when I'm being honest enough to share them.

Hmm okay.

Matt that's cuz you are scientific!
  • Options
    I find it really important to try and not judge people as much as I can, especially in work-related stuff. Mainly because there are so many people that are able to appear good at their job by spouting bullshit, appearing confident and presenting themselves well, and you've got to get past all that crap to the substance. For example, I find the person at work that makes the best impression is usually the one with the impossibly neat desk who is always 10 minutes early for anything, but I also find that anyone who finds the time to have an impossibly neat desk usually isn't doing enough work to mess it up. I was watching The Apprentice the other day, and I was baffled by how incompetent some of those people were. Are these really the outstanding business people that the UK has to offer?

But yeah, I judge people, like anyone else, but I enjoy trying to prove myself wrong too. Sometimes I do, and sometimes my first impressions were right.
  • Options

That's a sad view to have. I don't know, how do you have friends? Are they the same as you?

I'm not that judgement, I'll talk to anyone and give them respect no matter what their background or image is. But if they start acting like a twat then I won't continue being nice to them.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    That's a sad view to have. I don't know, how do you have friends? Are they the same as you?
    I have friends and no we're not all the same. We vary in intelligence, but that's what makes it interesting. Varying ages also have something to do with it.

I'm not saying I should be a member of MENSA, but I'm just appreciative of my intelligence, especially when I see programmes on telly like 'Marbella Belles'!!!!
  • Options
    What about waiting till March to send a UCAS form of? ;)
  • Options
    I sent it before the deadline. I don't see how that's unintelligent of me.
  • Options
    I normally have a first impression of someone's attitude in the first minute I meet them; from the way they walk and talk, their facial expressions, and how they look at other people, so I have an idea of whether I will get on with them or not. That said, two of my closest friends are people I disliked at first, and only later on did I get closer to them! I reckon only time can tell, and you have to let people's actions speak for themselves before characterising someone as one particular sort of person.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't consider myself to be judgemental really...

People are people, end of.
    Same here.
  • Options
    We all make judgements to some extent. I like to think of myself as quite open-minded as the years have gone on, and in that, I find myself judging people less and just generally having a happier life than I did. This way, I've learned a lot more about myself, and the people I would have otherwise judged. Tis good.
  • Options
    I reckon everybody is judgemental to a certain extent. It's whether or not you act on that judgement that matters. Some people will avoid talking to others because they don't 'look' or 'sound' like someone they'll get on with. Others won't care.

Rachael, I note that you judge the councillors (or the suits) based on their appearance. You're clearly making judgements about them by commenting on what you assume they'll assume!!! Or something like that.

It's human nature, I'm afraid. I feel guilty about it sometimes but as long as you give people a chance, despite what your first impression is, I don't think that it matters.
  • Options
    I make judgements on people within seconds of meeting them, i thought everybody does, im not saying its a good thing or that thier always correct because thier definately not, but despite my initail preconceptions i'd always give someone the chance to prove me right or wrong
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    I normally have a first impression of someone's attitude in the first minute I meet them; from the way they walk and talk, their facial expressions, and how they look at other people, so I have an idea of whether I will get on with them or not. That said, two of my closest friends are people I disliked at first, and only later on did I get closer to them! I reckon only time can tell, and you have to let people's actions speak for themselves before characterising someone as one particular sort of person.

that's actually pretty clever. come to think of it, a few of my friends were people I disliked at first. I wouldn't want to hang around with them, but as we've been together in the same class, worked in the same places etc I realized how valueable they now are.