Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Avril Lavigne

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone know who the boy is in the new Girlfriend video?
He's gorgeous.

Anyway, is she a sell out? Didn't she used to fightagainst being classed as making music like this, and now she's off doing it herself.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The tunes is alright, always quite liked Avril, never knew she was married. Don't think I'd want her as my girlfriend, she seems really boring.
  • Options
    Nah shes not a sell out, what is there to sell out to really?
    I think shes just keeping with the times by making less teen-angsty songs, same as everybody who wants to keep afloat else would.
  • Options
    Shes gotten hot all of a sudden. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah she's now on the same road as Britney and Christina. It won't be long until she's running around on stage in a G-String and stockings and singing songs about her ass...
  • Options
    Klever wrote: »
    Anyway, is she a sell out? Didn't she used to fightagainst being classed as making music like this, and now she's off doing it herself.

There was nothing to sell out. She's always made cheesy, commercial, low grade pop.
  • Options
    Instead of singing songs about stealing people's boyfriends in the past Avril would have been completely on the girl's side. The video is pretty gross, I saw nothing but her bullying the 'geeky' girl (note: glasses and conservative clothing) and stealing her boyfriend off her who by the way seemed like a loser.

Grr.
  • Options
    Anybody over the age of 12 who worries about acts selling out need to take a look at themselves.

Most popular music these days is packaged for a certain audience, and that goes for Snore Patrol and the Arctic Monkeys too. Nobody cares whether people liked a band before they got big or not, except the same sort of people who fight about who liked Power Rangers first i.e 10 year olds.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Anybody over the age of 12 who worries about acts selling out need to take a look at themselves.

Most popular music these days is packaged for a certain audience, and that goes for Snore Patrol and the Arctic Monkeys too. Nobody cares whether people liked a band before they got big or not, except the same sort of people who fight about who liked Power Rangers first i.e 10 year olds.

For some people it's not about the lame bragging rights that come from knowing a band before they hit it big. Alot of the time the bands do actually suck later on.

Note: A band's new stuff sucking when they hit the mainstream doesn't mean they sold out.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    For some people it's not about the lame bragging rights that come from knowing a band before they hit it big. Alot of the time the bands do actually suck later on.

Note: A band's new stuff sucking when they hit the mainstream doesn't mean they sold out.

Aye true, but it's funny when a band puts one album out (Arctic Monkeys) and you still get people saying they liked them before they got big and how they wish they weren't as big as they are, even though they've had one album out so it's impossible for their music to have got worse or changed in any way.

As for Avril, her gimmick/selling point is to make people think she's alternative and anti-mainstream - same for Pish like Sum 41 and Limp Bizkit were. The only people who bought into that were acne ridden skateboarders about four years ago.
  • Options
    how they wish they weren't as big as they are,

I hate that. I also hate when you ask someone if they like a band and they answer "Yeah, but I prefered their older stuff" even though you can tell they don't have a clue who you're talking about
  • Options
    I liked Avril's past albums 'Let Go' and 'Under my Skin'. I bought them knowing what they were. Pop for the masses. But then I thought it was good pop.

What I found funny was not her getting more and more popular. (Which I personally dont get..you want your favourite band or whatever to do well right?) but the complete change of message this new song of hers seemed to bring. Contradicted everything she sang about before.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    What I found funny was not her getting more and more popular. (Which I personally dont get..you want your favourite band or whatever to do well right?).

I think some people get a bit annoyed when their favourite bands gets recognised, cause they want to be seen as being alternative and a bit different by liking this band, but once they're in the mainstream then their status is gone and they get mighty annoyed.

As Kiezo said, if the music starts seriously sucking then there's maybe a point, otherwise (i.e if they've had one album out) then it's just to make themsleves try and look cool.
    Contradicted everything she sang about before.

It's just what she's been fed from her record company, her music didn't really have much meaning in the first place. No real rhyme or reason to it, other than if it happens to be a decent tune that'll sell then give it to her. The majority of her fans are too thick to notice the difference that you did though :razz:
  • Options
    I feel special :hyper: but yeah...I realise that it's the record company and everyone else's doing but it doesn't seem like good PR to have such a drastic change. When I saw the vid I thought it was tongue in cheek..especially the 'rapping' bit. Ohh dear.
  • Options

That's what I mean about her being 'a sell out'. Now she's happy to sing about stealing boyfriends as if she's proud about it.

Nelly Furtado has gone the same way, she's a cop out who's gone where the money is. I used to like her music but I think she's awful now, and now she fits into the mainstream her album starts selling better and she wins awards. (I'm totally waiting for a flaming on my music choice here)
  • Options
    I think some people get a bit annoyed when their favourite bands gets recognised, cause they want to be seen as being alternative and a bit different by liking this band, but once they're in the mainstream then their status is gone and they get mighty annoyed.

I agree with this. Wee scene-sters always seem to get annoyed when a band they like *shock horror* makes it big.

Sometimes though, when music has gone big it can put you off. I'm not talking favourite band here because you'd be stupid to stop liking your favourite band if they made it big, but I'll use the personal example of Franz Ferdinand. When I first heard them I quite liked some of their songs and had them on my iPod. Then they became really big, and you couldn't get away from their songs, whether it was on the radio, in a shop or even the songs sky will play to advertise some shite TV programme or something! The music soon loses its appeal and you don't choose to listen to it by your own free choice anymore because you've been bombarded by it for weeks.
  • Options
    She is ssoooooo metal....
  • Options
    She is ssoooooo metal....

Did you mean mental?
  • Options

Everything she sang? I'd be surprised it Avril put 5% of effort into any of her albulms despite all the claims to the contrary.

She gets told what to sing, she gets told how to dress and she gets told how to act.

Whether it's an angsty teenager or pop princess she'll do whatever she's told. She's not a sell out cos she had nothing to sell in the first place. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    She's not a sell out cos she had nothing to sell in the first place. :thumb:

Agreed.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    She's not a sell out cos she had nothing to sell in the first place. :thumb:

True. Metallica sold out. Kiss sold out. Def Leppard sold out. However, manufactured pop/punk/crap has no principles to sell out in the first place. They exist to make money through music not for the love of music or the desire to contribute anything culturally to the world.
  • Options
    i like her song, it's cool to dance to on a night out!

i saw her on tv the other week and she was so moody! think it was on t4.
  • Options
    depressed from singing rubbish all the time.
  • Options
    i like her song, it's cool to dance to on a night out!

They played it at a bar I was at last week to wind everyone up 'cause they knew people would freak out. After the initial laughter/rage they soon changed it.
  • Options
    haha, what kind of a club was it? although I think I have a vague idea, it being you and all :p