Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Earache

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently had a cough/cold but I'm over that now but yesterday and today my ears have been hurting me alot. Both of them too. If I take painkillers it goes though but it takes like 45 mins for them to kick in and they are killing me. I've never had anything like this before. When I press my ear in it dont hurt as much. They feel dead itchy and thats what hurts I think :/

Any ideas what it could be? Gonna try get into the docs tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    could be your sinuses, sometimes if you get a head cold & get all blocked up inside (even without a bunged up nose) you can get ear ache
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    could be your sinuses, sometimes if you get a head cold & get all blocked up inside (even without a bunged up nose) you can get ear ache
    If it is that try steaming your face over a bowl of boiling water with a towel over your head that might help.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I get it when my sinuses are blocked, its a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    my mums friend had a cold and she got all blocked up and now she has infections in both ears, not nice, hope you feel better :(
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    Thought that but I cant take a sudafed coz they are prone to keeping you awake. Gutted.
  • Options
    Yeah, it will be your sinuses...when I have problems with them my ears always get affected too. I'm the same about pressing them it, it's like a miracle cure but hardly what you want to be doing all night.

Just wanted to sympathise, feel better soon. :)
  • Options
    Sounds like ear infection, however, strange to have ear infection in both ears.

I know when I had ear infection it was 24 hour agony, and painkillers simply do not work.

Do not make the mistake of taking additional doses (especially paracetamol) for this complaint.

I took 2 tabs every 2-3 hours and after the infection went away, i had liver pains for 6 months.

Bad stuff.
  • Options
    babylon wrote:
    Sounds like ear infection, however, strange to have ear infection in both ears.

I know when I had ear infection it was 24 hour agony, and painkillers simply do not work.

Do not make the mistake of taking additional doses (especially paracetamol) for this complaint.

I took 2 tabs every 2-3 hours and after the infection went away, i had liver pains for 6 months.

Bad stuff.
    I know you shouldnt take more but I have done because yesterday and today pain killers worked but tonight they aint doing jack. I hope I havent got an infection :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to get ear infections everytime I had tonsillitis. One time it got so bad my ear drum actually burst. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced. Antibiotics usually clear it up.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well thats the thing, I had started taking anti biotics for a throat infection but stopped because they gave me thrush. :| my mums said to take them again coz they might clear my ears up but I dont want thrush.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I used to get ear infections everytime I had tonsillitis. One time it got so bad my ear drum actually burst. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced. Antibiotics usually clear it up.

i had that, and i was walking around with my head tilted for a while 'cause i was convinced all wax was going to come pouring out of it. i am now the proud owner of a 5inch scar behind my ear where they cut me open to fit me a new one!
  • Options
    i had that, and i was walking around with my head tilted for a while 'cause i was convinced all wax was going to come pouring out of it. i am now the proud owner of a 5inch scar behind my ear where they cut me open to fit me a new one!

I was only little but I remember screaming from the pain. Eventually the pressure was so great that my ear drum burst and all this gunk came pouring out my ear. Once it burst it felt fine, though obviously I couldn't hear out of it. Still it fixed itslef in time and I can hear perfectly out of it now.

It didn't realise they could fit new ones? :eek2:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    thinking about it mine didn't actually burst as such. i had loads of ear infections and operations on it and it wouldn't heal in the end. i ended up with only about 35% of my ear drum left. :eek2:

yes, they use a bit of tissue that they take from somewhere else to create a new ear drum. they call it a myringoplasty and the following is taken from here.. 'There are many ways of doing the operation but the commonest is to take a piece of thin tissue from under the skin covering one of the muscles (temporalis fascia) and putting this underneath the ear drum. The ear is approached from either an incision behind the ear or a small incision that comes from inside the ear canal out to the front of the ear.'
  • Options
    I've got an appointment for 5.30 so I'll let u know the outcome.
  • Options
    yes, they use a bit of tissue that they take from somewhere else to create a new ear drum. they call it a myringoplasty and the following is taken from here.. 'There are many ways of doing the operation but the commonest is to take a piece of thin tissue from under the skin covering one of the muscles (temporalis fascia) and putting this underneath the ear drum. The ear is approached from either an incision behind the ear or a small incision that comes from inside the ear canal out to the front of the ear.'

Didn't know that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    learn something new everyday! :)

afterwards, my ear was a bit swollen and i was so convinced he'd stitched it back on wonky. i asked my friend whether my ears looked wonky and she said yes. :(

they obviously have to cut the nerves so i haven't quite regained full feeling on/around my ear and it's really weird when someone else touches it!

this bit 'After the operation a dressing will be put in the ear canal and sometimes a fresh dressing covering the ear itself. My personal practice is to put in a sponge dressing in the ear canal, which we keep wet with antibiotic drops for a fortnight. If there is a pressure dressing it will usually be removed the day after the operation and there may be some blood stained cotton wool in the outer part of the ear canal. This can be removed and changed as necessary. A blood stained ooze may come out of the ear for several days afterwards but if it becomes yellow or bad smelling one might suspect an infection which although unusual is possible' reminds me of how horrible it was after! :yuck:
  • Options
    Nice. :eek2:

I just had to go for loads of tests to check my hearing. It's something I never want to have again.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    did you have to push the button down when you heard the beeping in your ear? :yeees:

when i was younger i wasn't trusted with that, we had to use a wooden ruler and tap it on a table.

i used to have to have full hearing tests quite a lot. :grump:

but it's okay now i'm not a live-in-member of the ENT department anymore.

eta: the worst pain i've EVER experienced was when the nice doctor man thought my t-tube had become dislodged from my ear drum (they're meant to stay there). so he proceeded to put a long, sharp metal thing in my ear to try and pull it out. only to find it was still attached! the bastard said 'sorry. do you want some paracetomal?' :mad:
  • Options
    did you have to push the button down when you heard the beeping in your ear? :yeees:

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

and have some headphones on along with another weird headset placed at a really ridiculous angle? it's a bit like when you go to the optician and they put those stupid glasses on you.

how did it go lisa?
  • Options
    I hope the OP isn't scared by all of these stories hehe.
  • Options
    and have some headphones on along with another weird headset placed at a really ridiculous angle? it's a bit like when you go to the optician and they put those stupid glasses on you.

how did it go lisa?
    Got an ear and throat infection. So he gave me a prescription for a drug I cant get. Joys. I'm still in loads of pain and eating Ibuprofen and co-proxamol like they are sweets.
  • Options
    ohh sorry to hear that, you have my sympathy! i went through years of countless ear infections..hope you're feeling better soon. x