Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sky Broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got it?

We were always planning to get the Sky, "see speak surf" deal, as it seems quite good value for money.

My brother is telling me the internet is shit, although he doesnt have it himself, just from word of mouth.

Sharing a flat with 4 uni lads, likely to be playing poker, dowloading music etc. will it be ok?

Comments

• Options
    for a start your speed is dependant on how close you are to the local exchange.. you can get up to 16 meg but most people get between 5 - 10

as for them being crap.. its an excellent service if it sets up properly initally, but it can be a pain if you have problems on the line or with the order .. or with your email

i personally wouldnt really recommend it
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »
    Anyone got it?

We were always planning to get the Sky, "see speak surf" deal, as it seems quite good value for money.

My brother is telling me the internet is shit, although he doesnt have it himself, just from word of mouth.

Sharing a flat with 4 uni lads, likely to be playing poker, dowloading music etc. will it be ok?

We're 5 students, and ours is usually fine. No worse from what I have at home.
  • Options
    Anyone got it?

I been on it like 5 days now - working well so far

Paying £10 per month for their top package - which is £5 a month less then what I was on before. If you've already shelling out for Sky TV then it seem excellent. They said I should be getting like the full speed as I'm close to the telephone exchange but getting 13 mb/s which is fine with me.

Also you got to remember people that are having bad experience are like 7 times more likely to complain then those who have a good service.

If you're happy with Sky Broadband then you're not very likely to be seeking out Sky Broadband related forums, etc to post how happy you are, but if it's not working for you - you're way more likely to be looking.
  • Options
    Wow someone posted about sky bb.

Okay i have it and its not the best.

for me it blocks me from running a dedicated games server for Half Life 2.

and their support service ain't the best because the broadband service is fairly new.

For example i want a new router because i believe mine to be faulty (long long story)

I spent 15 mins on the phone to some lady who had to "troubleshoot" the problem i was so angry because all i wanted was a bloody new router!

It's alright if you do the basic things i'm rather close to my exchange so i get good speeds.

I would Recommend Virgin media internet. It might be pricey, but you get what they say with no blocks.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I would Recommend Virgin media internet. It might be pricey, but you get what they say with no blocks.

Good man :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Good man :thumb:

Considering i've just switched from them i'm not the best man at the moment ;)
  • Options
    Anyone got it?

Oh BTW if you get someone to recommend you to Sky then you both get £30 worth of M&S Vouchers - so get a friend to recommend you to sky and treat yourself - if not I'll be happy to recommend ya .. :)
  • Options
    I'm thinking of joining them. Hopefully I'll get a good speed since the exchange is right across the street from my new flat :D
  • Options
    Oh BTW if you get someone to recommend you to Sky then you both get £30 worth of M&S Vouchers - so get a friend to recommend you to sky and treat yourself - if not I'll be happy to recommend ya .. :)

aah nice one, a weeks worth of luxary food for me.

ive ruled out virgin media as the TV package is shit, no sky one + no sky sports news.

Im used to internet in uni halls, so it cant get anyworse than that.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    its an excellent service if it sets up properly initally, but it can be a pain if you have problems on the line or with the order .. or with your email

That can be said about pretty much every provider though. Everyone has stories about shoddy after service.
  • Options
    Ants wrote: »
    That can be said about pretty much every provider though. Everyone has stories about shoddy after service.

a lot of the processes they have set up for raising issues to higher technical departments etc arent really up to scratch to say the least.. the whole support system is a bit shit because its so new and because of the amount of people signing up
    I spent 15 mins on the phone to some lady who had to "troubleshoot" the problem i was so angry because all i wanted was a bloody new router!

you cant really expect to ring up and demand new equipment, a company isnt going to want to send you a replacement product if they aren't certain its faulty.. and you'd be surpised at the amount of people who think they've got a broken router but its actually a problem at their end .. ALOT of people are seriously dim when it comes to things like that
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    you cant really expect to ring up and demand new equipment, a company isnt going to want to send you a replacement product if they aren't certain its faulty.. and you'd be surpised at the amount of people who think they've got a broken router but its actually a problem at their end .. ALOT of people are seriously dim when it comes to things like that

well after spending 55 mins on the phone to an 0870 number and finding out its nothing there end and nothing to do with my computers, and ever since using there box had problems pretty much points me in the director of the box.
  • Options
    and? pretty irrelevant..
  • Options
    aah nice one, a weeks worth of luxary food for me.

ive ruled out virgin media as the TV package is shit, no sky one + no sky sports news.

Im used to internet in uni halls, so it cant get anyworse than that.

Yeah it was the food I was thinking about too on what to spent £30 on at M&S .. :)
  • Options
    I recently switched to them, wouldn't recommend it though. Took around 2 weeks to get the router, it didn't work at first, so another 5 days till they sent a new one out and now the internet disconnects every evening and I have to unplug the router and plug it back in...why can't they just let you use your own router!?

:banghead:
  • Options
    iNcognito wrote: »
    I recently switched to them, wouldn't recommend it though. - now the internet disconnects every evening and I have to unplug the router and plug it back in...why can't they just let you use your own router!?

Oh my god! I get the same thing expect i do it three times a day!!

Anyone else think sky aint that good now?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »

Anyone else think sky aint that good now?

:yes:
  • Options
    iNcognito wrote: »
    I recently switched to them, wouldn't recommend it though. Took around 2 weeks to get the router, it didn't work at first, so another 5 days till they sent a new one out and now the internet disconnects every evening and I have to unplug the router and plug it back in...why can't they just let you use your own router!?

1. You can reboot without unplugging - just go to 192.168.0.1

2. You can manually increase the minimum db level so it's less likely to disconnect in the first place

3. you can download a free program which monitors your web connection and automatically reboots for you if you lose the connection
  • Options
    1. You can reboot without unplugging - just go to 192.168.0.1

That does not always work
    2. You can manually increase the minimum db level so it's less likely to disconnect in the first place

Would'nt have a clue how to and sky haven't said so...
    3. you can download a free program which monitors your web connection and automatically reboots for you if you lose the connection

Might aswell try it