Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"other half"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this all began by the idea that no man or woman is whole, and everyone needs one of the other sex to be whole.
    Erm, not necessarily of the other sex. Just to point that out. Sorry.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    Erm, not necessarily of the other sex. Just to point that out. Sorry.
    I was expecting someone to say that...
    In case it wasn't clear (which I think it was) this wasn't my opinion, just what I think began the use of that expression. ;)
  • Options
    I usually say 'fella'. We are in a serious long term relationship so like others have said 'boyfriend' just sounds to young.
  • Options
    I use other half because it isn't as politically correct as "partner"; after this long, boyfriend doesn't seem enough; and, frankly, to be without him would feel like half of me had been torn away.

I'll quibble over the "other half" coming from mythology, because the mythology was built to explain the feeling.
  • Options
    i dont like saying boyfriend cos we've been together so long and as hes 24 he seems a bit old to be someones boyfriend i generally jus refer to him by name, or other half occasionally, most of the time i dont try to define our relationship to others. when hes at work or with mates i get refered to as his "missus" which i dont really mind that much but itd be weird calling him my "mister" i think....
  • Options
    Before I was married I really struggled to use the word fiance as it sounds so poncy... I stuck to boyfriend, other half or partner (i agree this one could give off the wrong signals!)

Now we are married I find husband so easy to say, no idea why - it just fits right...

The one that really gets me is 'Mister'... it does my head in!
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    I hate hate hate people saying "the boy". Maybe I'll just call him thingy.

:yes:

I just tend to say Andy.
  • Options
    I do usually refer to him as 'the boy' (sorry, Glittery!), but I only really do it because he's a few years older than me and it winds him up. I do rather like the other suggestions floating around in this thread of calling him my lover or 'the missus' though. Mwahahaha he won't love me for that. But no, I don't find it annoying or demeaning to be referred to as his other half.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    (sorry, Glittery!)
    Since it's you, I'll forgive you ;)
  • Options
    It doesnt really bother me i get called it sometime but its mostly "my lady" "the misses" or " the wife" i dont really say anythin like that for my bf though i just call him "the boyfriend"
  • Options
    I say 'other half' occassionally but not aloud, noly when writing about him on a forum such as this. Although he is my fiance I would never refer to him as such.

There is a popular wedding site I visit that has a forum and I simply can't join because everything in abbreviated.

H2B - Husband to Be
    B2B - Bride to Be
    OH - Other half
    SO - Significant other

:yuck: :yuck:
  • Options
    I'd say Other Half without a problem. I'd probably use boyfriend too, as I'm still young!
  • Options
    What about better half? I normally used that about my ex (even though she was clearly inferior to me :D)
  • Options
    'Other half' seems to slip off the tongue better than 'better half' :lol:
  • Options
    I say "the boy" and have been known to say "other half," as well. Partly because my bf has an impossible name that nobody gets the first time around anyway! :razz:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I say 'other half' occassionally but not aloud, noly when writing about him on a forum such as this. Although he is my fiance I would never refer to him as such.

There is a popular wedding site I visit that has a forum and I simply can't join because everything in abbreviated.

H2B - Husband to Be
    B2B - Bride to Be
    OH - Other half
    SO - Significant other

:yuck: :yuck:

I know exactly which forum you mean :)

Don't go onto the baby section... it gets worse!
  • Options
    My friends almost always use the term 'joined at the hip' - that irks me no end too. I know how you feel - just tell them to stop it, and just tell them how would they feel if you did it to them. In an annoying way.