Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where would you give birth?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    homebirth, obviously.
    just wonderful in comparison.
  • Options
  • Options
    What I like about my local 'setup' is that you see the same midwife week in week out at the GPs surgery (unless she's got the day off and then you see one of a small team.) You also get to visit the hospital several times beforehand to do a meet and greet session with all the midwives on the team so you are sure to know one of them when it comes to giving birth.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I am mildly swayed by the Portmans offer of a molton brown goodie bag and a bottle of champagne upon the arrival of the baby.
    Surely you'd rather have the champagne before labour, though? Must be better than an epidural.
  • Options
    I would so much rather have a home birth than having to go to hospital, I know that if I had hours of contractions and pain I would definately prefer to be in the comfort of my own home, preferably with a birthing pool, I just think it would be less stressful and to know that my midwife was there with me and wasn't having to rush around looking after 10 other women at the same time is a lot more appealing to me!

I have also read alot of horror stories about hospital births and although I am not nervous of being in hospital, I do get the impression that women in labour are perhaps not given the appropriate level of support because of limited resources etc and that does make me nervous.

I have also heard many positive things about women who have had homebirths and those who have used birthing pools and it just sounds like such a better and more pleasant experience. I think the most worrying thing about a home birth is obviously if something were to go wrong and then I guess we would have to go to the hospital!
  • Options
    When Hannah was born a few weeks ago

Aw! Congrats :)
    To you too SCC!
  • Options
    I think the most worrying thing about a home birth is obviously if something were to go wrong and then I guess we would have to go to the hospital!

That's the only thing that would stop me from birthing at home. Problem with obstetrics is that when something goes wrong, it can go wrong very quickly - take a prolapsed cord for instance. Even with the healthiest pregnancy, low-risk woman etc, no one can predict what will happen, and in the example I gave, you literally have minutes to get to the foetus out, and even if someone lives 4 minutes from a hospital, that's an extra 4 minutes plus trying to get someone on their hands and knees with a hand up inside them taking the pressure of a cord off the head into a car/ambulance.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I don't think a hospital is necessary the best place to give birth, (take my example below set up by Michel Odent) but I wouldn't choose to birth there based on horror stories, as there is potential for horror stories on both sides. Home birth can be a fantastic, rewarding and happy experience - when everything goes according to plan.

I'd happily give birth in a place like the unit set up at the Pithiviers Hospital in France during the 1970s - you can labour naturally in a comfortable room with a midwife, the woman is in full control, but there's a theatre in the unit just in case it's needed.
  • Options
    It's not something I've given a great deal of thought but I would go for hospital, just in case.

Do home births work out more expensive?
  • Options
    If I get to squeeze one out then definitely hospital for the first baby because I'd just feel safer.
  • Options
    I'd always go with a hospital, purely because I'd be too scared of something going wrong. Also, I wouldn't want the stress and worry of organising it in my own home while I was pregnant - at the hospital they've got everything already :D I do see the appeal of home births though.
  • Options
    Since someone asked...

How much does going private cost? If that was an option, I'd do that. Otherwise probably the hospital.

Also, as I've never been at a birth, how are women treated in hospitals?
  • Options
    When I looked at the Portland, it was a couple of grand for the deposit. A friend of mine looked into getting an independent midwife for a homebirth, but she couldn't afford it as it was about 2k too.
    Also, as I've never been at a birth, how are women treated in hospitals?

As with all birth stories, it varies greatly. I know plenty of people who have had positive experiences with supportive staff etc. And it also depends on the approach she wants to take with pain relief etc. epidurals for instance, increase the likelihood of having interventions like ventouse, episitomy etc. which can also affect her overall experience. But there are stories where for instance, some staff members are very against certain forms of pain relief, and women are refused it, or invasive/painful internal exams etc.

I wouldn't really recommend it if you're trying to get into the mindset of positive birthing, but the Birth Trauma Association has a list of women's stories.

The United States is a little different (watch some of the labour and delivery programmes on Discovery Health, I'm not surprised people want to homebirth after that) and a film maker has just released a film about the process and the criticisms, it's called Pregnant in America, I'd recommend you look at the trailer at least.
  • Options
    I don't know, to be honest.

I know a lot of people (well, three!) who have had very positive home birth experiences recently, so that draws me to that.

But at the same time, I don't know if i'd want to be at a hospital just in case anything were to go wrong.

I think gut-feeling at the moment would be to have a home birth, but obviously i don't really know as i'm not in that situation and if i were i might just change my mind completely.
  • Options
    That is the kety for me. There is some sort of arrogance, particularly found in midwifery I have to say, which suggests that giving birth is straight forward and routine and that a large % of births which took place in hospital "could have" been carried out at home.

Thing is that retrospectively that's an easy argument to make.

Mrs MoK was classic routine first delivery. Carried well throughout the pregnancy, no symptoms of anything. Right up until baby was in the birth canal. Then she tore. Never seen so much blood in my life and she had to have a transfusion. When Hannah was born a few weeks ago there was no way that I was going to be happy for her to have the baby anywhere but where there was a theatre (especially because she had slightly raised blood pressure in last few weeks) and I'm pleased to say that she agreed.

I think the lesson, also classic normal routine pregnancy, where my sister in law suffered pre-eclampsia in the delivery suite was useful there.

Birth is a life-or-death moment. Always. We should never forget that.

And whats the difference percentage-wise of deaths at a homebirth or deaths at a hospital birth???

Birth CAN be a life or death moment, as can ANYTHING, but in the vast vast majority of cases it isnt, and scaremongering creates fear which creates bad birth experiences in itself.
    Evolution hasnt designed us to die when we give birth. We`re only animals, and it wouldnt do any harm for people to just have a bit more faith in what their bodies can actually do.
  • Options
    And whats the difference percentage-wise of deaths at a homebirth or deaths at a hospital birth???

I would have assumed hosptial births would have higher infant mortality due to the larger number of high risk women giving birth there.

I know that Gottvall et al (2004) looked into perinatal mortality over a 10 year period in Sweden, at a birth centre, and while the results weren't statisitcally significant, from some of the data, they concluded that a birth centre may be less safe for first time mothers and their infants.

Hodnett et al (2005) in Home-like versus conventional institutional settings for birth found that a home-like setting reduced the need for pain relief and other interventions and were more likely to result in a spontaneous vaginal delivery - however, they also reported higher perinatal mortality levels.

I have no problem with people choosing homebirth providing that they're correctly informed of the risks and benefits. What I have a problem with is the way it's somehow deemed to be 'safer' than birthing in a hospital, I've seen this numerous times in pregnancy and birthing communities, yet there's no mention that independent midwives are not insured etc. If by 'safer' they mean 'less risk of intervention' then it should be specified, so there's no room for misinterpretation.

My personal hero Michel Odent has written numerous literature on the importance of a woman being in a relaxing environment, preferably in a dark place with a 'hands-off' midwife so her neocortex can shut out and she can labour as was intended. I don't agree with unneccessary interventions, but similarly, I don't agree that something should be painted as a more favourable option, when the statistics say otherwise, especially when there's no method of predicting how someone's labour will go. If that's the risk then people want to take, that's their choice. There are risks and benefits to wherever a woman will birth - she needs all the information about all places so she can make her mind up, and not a biased version of one over the other.
  • Options
    If i ever get pregnant i will have it in the pub.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    If i ever get pregnant i will have it in the pub.

I do believe we're kindred spirits, mate.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    I do believe we're kindred spirits, mate.

Would seem so, .... good luck world!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I would have assumed hosptial births would have higher infant mortality due to the larger number of high risk women giving birth there.

I would have thought that proper statistics would take that into account.
    Also take into account that most people who give birth in a hospital are low risk.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7505/1416
    Outcomes of planned home births with certified professional midwives: large prospective study in North America

Kenneth C Johnson, senior epidemiologist1, Betty-Anne Daviss, project manager2

1 Surveillance and Risk Assessment Division, Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, PL 6702A, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A OK9, 2 Safe Motherhood/Newborn Initiative, International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Ottawa, Canada

Correspondence to: K C Johnson ken_lcdc_johnson@phac-aspc.gc.ca

Abstract
    Abstract
    Introduction
    Methods
    Results
    Discussion
    References
    Objective To evaluate the safety of home births in North America involving direct entry midwives, in jurisdictions where the practice is not well integrated into the healthcare system.

Design Prospective cohort study.

Setting All home births involving certified professional midwives across the United States (98% of cohort) and Canada, 2000.

Participants All 5418 women expecting to deliver in 2000 supported by midwives with a common certification and who planned to deliver at home when labour began.

Main outcome measures Intrapartum and neonatal mortality, perinatal transfer to hospital care, medical intervention during labour, breast feeding, and maternal satisfaction.

Results 655 (12.1%) women who intended to deliver at home when labour began were transferred to hospital. Medical intervention rates included epidural (4.7%), episiotomy (2.1%), forceps (1.0%), vacuum extraction (0.6%), and caesarean section (3.7%); these rates were substantially lower than for low risk US women having hospital births. The intrapartum and neonatal mortality among women considered at low risk at start of labour, excluding deaths concerning life threatening congenital anomalies, was 1.7 deaths per 1000 planned home births, similar to risks in other studies of low risk home and hospital births in North America. No mothers died. No discrepancies were found for perinatal outcomes independently validated.

Conclusions Planned home birth for low risk women in North America using certified professional midwives was associated with lower rates of medical intervention but similar intrapartum and neonatal mortality to that of low risk hospital births in the United States.