Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Petition the Prime Minister to Remove all speed humps from UK roads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Speed humps create needless pain and suffering, particularly to people with certain medical conditions.In addition they delay emergency services, damage vehicles, create more noise and air pollution and have no proven impact on road casualty figures.

so if anyof you feel the same could u sign using the link below:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Nohumps/

Comments

• Options
    Done.

Pointless hateful things.
  • Options
    thanks dude, i hate the things
  • Options
    Which is why they changed them from stretching right across the road to only sitting in the middle of a lane...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Which is why they changed them from stretching right across the road to only sitting in the middle of a lane...

That's true. You can bridge those quite easily in most cars, but doesn't that make them rather pointless?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    That's true. You can bridge those quite easily in most cars, but doesn't that make them rather pointless?

Nah cos so many people slow down anyway - dead slow usually - much to my annoyance.

I've happily signed petitions about speed cameras but I don't see the point in complaining about speed humps.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

the ones you can fit between your wheels are wrose for your car, the garage i get my work done in was telling me how they have car that have been damaged becase the wheels are being pushed apart from each other, if you have to drive over them every day then it courses problems,
  • Options
    whats the problem? (well, apart from emergency services?)

they do stop people driving down 20 zones from doing 30-40 mph. which a lot of people would blatently do if possible.

in an unhumped 30 zone at lot of people go 35-45 on the regs.

most people on the roads at night double a lot a speed limits.

edit; fair enough, a lot of people dont know how to drive over them properly, (speeding up and braking instead of a constant speed etc..).
  • Options
    its not only people that dont know how to drive over them, some cars jsut sit lower then others.
  • Options
    And?

I can't get my car through spaces that you could cycle through but I'm not whining about it...

Speed humps are there for a good reason, they are effective (like it or not) and so I can't see what the complaint is.
  • Options
    maybe we should all just drive big 4x4s then MoK?
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    whats the problem? (well, apart from emergency services?)
    That's not enough?
    they do stop people driving down 20 zones from doing 30-40 mph. which a lot of people would blatently do if possible.
    No they don't. The idiots still drive over 30 between the bumps and slam the brakes on just before they reach them, and everyone else gets their car wrecked.

The way I see it, those chicanes that narrow the road to a single lane do exactly the same job without damaging your car. I even support speed cameras ahead of speed bumps, and that's saying a lot since I think speed cameras are generally bullshit. On main streets I find that traffic lights at most junctions are just as effective at preventing people driving too fast, since very few people jump red lights. I just think there are far more car friendly solutions available, and a resent paying road tax towards something that's gonna ruin my car.
  • Options
    you really dont need a 4x4 to get over a speed bump :p
  • Options

What the fuck? Where do you live? Silverstone?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    maybe we should all just drive big 4x4s then MoK?

You've got some fucking huge speed bumps round your way then...

Most cars will go over without any problems.
  • Options
    You've got some fucking huge speed bumps round your way then...

Most cars will go over without any problems.

You do seem to get the odd huge one that you're not expecting, so you go over it at the same speed as the rest. I think it's more the difference in angle than the actual size, so you can get two on the same road where one's smooth sailing, and the other one you have to get your back realigned afterwards.
  • Options
    Which is a good thing because then you must slow down. Still don't need a 4x4.
  • Options
    theres a lot over in boardstairs that even if i go over at 10mph i can still here my front bumper being scraped
  • Options
    How much would it cost to remove all the speed humps in Britain though? I am assuming they would also have to be replaced with other traffic calming measures, so I suppose that would create extra cost. I think it's a very valid point but I am concerned about where the money would come from to fund such changes.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    How much would it cost to remove all the speed humps in Britain though? I am assuming they would also have to be replaced with other traffic calming measures, so I suppose that would create extra cost. I think it's a very valid point but I am concerned about where the money would come from to fund such changes.

the exceive amount of road tax we pay? or maybe out of the tax we get on fuel? or maybe we could stop paying all these bums that spit out 10kids just not to work?
  • Options
    maybe we could stop paying all these bums that spit out 10kids just not to work?

You make me laugh. So ignorant. It's sad.

Maybe we should just stick to getting these candyass drivers to use their brake pedal once in a while.
  • Options
    theres a lot over in boardstairs that even if i go over at 10mph i can still here my front bumper being scraped

Corsa with skirting by any chance?

That's a low bumper, and yes, I know Broadstairs well...
  • Options
    Corsa with skirting by any chance?

That's a low bumper, and yes, I know Broadstairs well...

Prelude actually
  • Options
    With skirting?
  • Options
    With skirting?

nope,
  • Options
    Interesting. Like this?

2000%20Honda%20Prelude%20VTi-R.jpg

Cos I drive on of these and I seem to manage okay...

%5Cuploads%5CHonda%20Accord.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah one of them, and i get no end of problems with speed bumps, there is no end of diffrents with the ride hight of the prelude and the Accord
  • Options
    Originally Posted by drumbeat

What the fuck? Where do you live? Silverstone?
    no. but i do most of my driving after 9pm and i know that apart from the lorries on a-roads the majority of road users from then until 4am are lads under 25s. but as we are talking about around urban areas, pretty much all are lads under 25. (i should know, i am one.)

and i also know, that when possible, without traffic lights/speed bumps, many of these cars will do up to double the limit. 30-40 in a 20. 45-60 in a 30. especially after midnight.

and dont asume im making generalisations. this is pretty true.

also...yeah i know there are the occasional 'big' unexpected bump, but surely you cant expect every single bump to be dug up and replaced with chicanes.

chicanes arnt bad either, but it doesnt exactly stop someone going through at 70mph at 3am, does it?

use your head
  • Options
    i do agree that there are some sets of bumps that are badly designed/built. they are sometimes just too sharp. there are others that are pointless and are almost non existant.

but the majority do the job, by getting the average speed of traffic down.

and these people who speed up to 30 and slam the brakes on....thats thier problem. it wears their brakes, tyres, suspension, wastes their petrol, etc etc....
    i dont see how it effects following drivers unless they are doing the same themselves. if you keep a constant speed there wont be a problem.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by drumbeat
    No they don't. The idiots still drive over 30 between the bumps and slam the brakes on just before they reach them, and everyone else gets their car wrecked.
    what the hell do you mean 'no they don't'?
    in that example their average speed is obviously chopped right down from 30. they only reach 30 for a fraction of the second and then slam to reach 15-20.
  • Options
    no. but i do most of my driving after 9pm and i know that apart from the lorries on a-roads the majority of road users from then until 4am are lads under 25s. but as we are talking about around urban areas, pretty much all are lads under 25. (i should know, i am one.)

and i also know, that when possible, without traffic lights/speed bumps, many of these cars will do up to double the limit. 30-40 in a 20. 45-60 in a 30. especially after midnight.

and dont asume im making generalisations. this is pretty true.
    That's funny, because I just drove to Tesco at 4 in the morning, and I didn't see anyone that was obviously going over the speed limit (certainly no more than about 5mph). And I was driving on roads that are pretty wide and open, yet the limit was still 30. And of course you're making generalisations and assumptions about people's driving habits. What else would you call it?
    also...yeah i know there are the occasional 'big' unexpected bump, but surely you cant expect every single bump to be dug up and replaced with chicanes.
    No, but you can at least make sure that any new developments take this form, rather than building more speed bumps. As always, you ask for a lot, and hopefully you at least end up with a compromise in the middle somewhere.
    chicanes arnt bad either, but it doesnt exactly stop someone going through at 70mph at 3am, does it?

use your head
    No it doesn't. But we should have police out to catch such gross violations of the speed limit. The chicanes would be there to slow people down at the most important times, which is when children and other pedestrians are likely to be crossing the road. If someone wants to go 70mph, do you really think they're gonna do it through a residential area, or instead go to bigger roads which would never even be considered for speed bumps anyway? Personally, I don't know of many roads with speed bumps that are a long enough straight line to even get to 70mph. Speed bumps are there to slow down the people who go 35-40, not boy racers going up to 100. And it is possible to make those chicanes so that you have to be going a reasonable speed just to get round them. There's one outside a school near me that I'm pretty sure a formula 1 car would struggle to do over 30 around. Basically, you need the type that make you drive in an S shape, rather than the ones that just block access on one side of the road, leaving the other side open.

And you still haven't answered the question. Do you not believe that the inconvenience caused to the emergency services is a good enough reason to replace speed bumps with something else?