Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mottos

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Rachael wrote: »
    Hahahaha you are like me.

My friend was saying that he always give the same advice to other friends. If you've done it before or gone through it..then you can do it before. He used the example of friends being nervous about job interviews so I said 'what would you say to a friend who had breastcancer again? Ohhh you've gone through it luv you can do it again?' Apparently I have a dark sense of humour
    Haha yeah, that's exactly what I mean. You can't use something as a general rule unless it applies to everything. If it doesn't, you have to define exceptions. :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachael wrote: »
    Hahahaha you are like me.

My friend was saying that he always give the same advice to other friends. If you've done it before or gone through it..then you can do it before. He used the example of friends being nervous about job interviews so I said 'what would you say to a friend who had breastcancer again? Ohhh you've gone through it luv you can do it again?' Apparently I have a dark sense of humour

I was about going off on a tanget on what about if you have Diphteria and the muscle cramps in your mouth make you smile all the time (it's a joke in an austrian movie where Alfred Dorfer want to convince Joseph Hader who has cancer, that there are muuuuuch worse conditions that cancer like diphteria, and that he should imagine a island where half the people are in the backbend and the other half would smile uncontrollably because of the muscle spasms), anyway, just went on an tangent in the middle of an tangent, and how you wouldn't like to look back to when you had diphteria and yadda yadda words words...

i decided not to, because I felt bad for my initial comment already :p
  • Options
    The one in my sig is a good one.

And:

"People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if their is light from within" Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Love is like peeing your pants.

Everyone can see it, but only you feel the true warmth.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's always better than than a kick in the cunt.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    "trust and fear not" hertfordshire motto
  • Options
    Can't win, don't try
  • Options
    he who dares!
  • Options
    Well i dont have a creative mind and cant be arsed to find one .. so erm ... yeh.
  • Options
    Haha yeah, that's exactly what I mean. You can't use something as a general rule unless it applies to everything.

It is really, really, REALLY bad that reading that made me think of the first formulation of Kant's categorical imperative :(.

My Philosophy teacher would be so proud :(.
  • Options
    When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate. When in charge, ponder.

To estimate the time it takes to do a task: estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by 2, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit.
    Thus we allocate 2 days for a one hour task.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    It is really, really, REALLY bad that reading that made me think of the first formulation of Kant's categorical imperative :(.

My Philosophy teacher would be so proud :(.
    Once I printed business cards that had my name and "Mulder's mentor, philosopher wannabe" under it. :D
  • Options
    One up the bum, no harm done.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    "God, grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
    Selected from text written by Reinhold Neibuhr - 1926
    :yes: I like this one too.

The one in my sig (at the risk of sending briggi into fits :razz:):
    "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"

Another one I had before by Alberto Hurtado sj (A recently canonised Chilean priest):
    "Charity begins where justice ends" (my rough translation).

This one ^^ is about social justice. He said this phrase in his sermons to the rich aristocracy, to urge them to be fair to the working class first (ie, give them real opportunities, pay them dignifying wages, etc.), and only when justice has been achieved one can afford to start doing charity.

And "Alea jacta est" by Julius Ceasar, (sorry to be a total snob and post it in Latin but I use it in Spanish and don't know the translation into English :o) . I think it was something like 'the die has been thrown'. I always say it after I've begun doing something risky but exciting :D.