Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Women's Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Salute to all the women of the world on this, your day. That includes the meber of these boards.

In recognition please stand up and offer a warm round of applause to the following groundbreakers... if you don't know who they are, Google them.

Elizabeth Blackwell
Margaret Thatcher
Indira Gandhi
Marjorie Scardino
Hilda Harding
Marie Curie
Valentina Tereshkova
Rosa Parks
Lady Astor
Katherine Budd
Margaret Grace
Vijaya Pandit
Jane Shaw Stewart
Moira Cameron

... can you name more?

Comments

• Options
    Is there an international man's day? :confused:
  • Options
    Thank you muchly MoK for your greetings... :heart:

I'll just add...

Inés de Suárez

ETA: you'll probs have to google her too :p
  • Options

there is in Trinidad and Tobago :thumb:

for international woman's day (but I guess that was yesterday now);

my mum :)
  • Options
    Who gives a shit? It isn't men that are trying to overturn centuries of female dominated society is it? To still be dealing with it even now no matter how much men whinge about "women's rights, what about mine?"

For that matter
    Elizabeth I MOK?
  • Options
    Emmeline Pankhurst
    Aung San Suu Kyi
    Florence Nightingale
    Mary Wollstonecraft
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Angela Davis
    Ani Difranco
    Etty Hillesum
  • Options

Not that I'm aware of. If you're so bothered (which I doubt you actually are) then pick a day and celebrate it, that's how these things generally start out.

Maya Angelou
    Germaine Greer
    Simone de Beauvoir
    Mo Mowlam
    Mary Astell
    Betty Friedan
    Molly Melching
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Who gives a shit? It isn't men that are trying to overturn centuries of female dominated society is it? To still be dealing with it even now no matter how much men whinge about "women's rights, what about mine?"

For that matter
    Elizabeth I MOK?

First off, I do. Not all men are war-mongering, trigger-happy, let's-kill-everyone kinda guys (Ghandi, MLK). So what on earth are you wittering about? Men aren't trying to deal with female dominated society? If you think that, read some of R.W. Connell's work on masculinity and get back to me.

In modern day society, masculinity is far more in crisis than femininty is. In any event, if you truely support gender equality, maybe you should open your eyes to how both sexes are repressed and suppressed, rather than thinking it's only women who are.
  • Options
    05_10_jadegoody.jpg

;)
  • Options
    In modern day society, masculinity is far more in crisis than femininty is.

Rubbish.

Anyway, like you said yourself in the first part of your post - what is this so-called "masculinity"? I thought all men couldn't be defined as one.

Maybe if men weren't so keen on retaining the idea of "masculinity" they would be able to feel secure and like they played an important role in a society in which women now have a voice. After all, feminists are NOT clawing back ground in the name of so-called "femininity".

There is no doubt that men have needed to redefine their role in society in the past couple of decades. Feminists are aware of this. But to suggest the world we live in is a female dominated society suggests you have a very insular view. Women may be closer to equality than ever before in the UK, certain parts of Europe and the USA but if you are seriously suggesting that [for example] Asian society is dominated by women then you need to wise up.

I think it's really sad that a thread (and day) to celebrate the great achievements of women past and present can't stand alone, without having a matching pair "men's day". I think that says everything we need to say about how the attitude toward women has not improved but mutated, as instead of being subservient they are now basically resented by a lot of men. I think it's a glaring indictment that there can't be a thread on this forum celebrating women without it being hijacked at the second post. Cheers.
  • Options
    Can we please have a thread where it isn't hijacked and turned into a debate regarding gender roles and the construction/oppression of masculinities/femininities, taking away the focus of what International Women's Day is about? It's just a day for goodness sake, to celebrate women around the world, can we not even have that without someone instantly asking if there's the same for the other gender? As has been said, if there isn't, set one up and celebrate!

I don't actually know this woman's name, she was presenting at the RCOG, and she's not well known, nor will she be likely to go down as groundbreaking, but she's working in Afghanistan to train hospital workers, and do work with families to try and lower the appalling maternal mortality ratio out there. (1600 per 100,000 births)
  • Options
    Again? I could've sworn we had one recently.
    Maybe it was international stove, tidying or vagina day.
  • Options
    Aunt Bessie - God bless you for helping those too stupid to mix flour, egg and milk or peel a potato :D
  • Options
    Mother Theresa!
  • Options
    1983!!!
  • Options
    Yer Maw!!!!!!
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I think it's really sad that a thread (and day) to celebrate the great achievements of women past and present can't stand alone, without having a matching pair "men's day".

:thumb:

Through history it has generally men who have been the "first" human to do most things. Not because women aren't as capabale but because of the perveying culture - hell women didn;t get to vote in the UK until the 20the century FFS.

Therefore it is important that we raise the profile of those magnificent women who broke through those glass ceilings and fought against the odds which we stacked against them. One name I gave earlier was the First female CEO of a FTSE100 company. How many do you think that there are today...? What proportion of MPs are female?

The answers will tell you precisely why we should glosry in the achievements of women throughout history, show our sisers that it possible to get where you want to go...
  • Options
    Harriot Tubman anyone?
  • Options
    Vicki Pollard. :thumb:

Constance Markievicz-The first ever woman MP (she didn't take her seat though,) probably as important to the Irish is a Pankhurst is to you lot.
  • Options
    Rosa Luxemburg
    Emma Goldman
  • Options
    I have to say I've never heard of this before...
  • Options
    I made a thread about it last year I believe - pretty sure it wasn't sidetracked at the first possible chance.

If you're doubting its longevity or legitimacy then rest assured it's been celebrated for decades. I think it celebrates its centenary next year :)

MOK I totally agree, I think it's ridiculous that there is a notion that not only have women scaled the heights and attained equality... but somehow now they have superceded men and are dominant. The idea that men are now subject to treatment on any remote par with women throughout the ages is categorical bullshit.
  • Options
    Rubbish.

Anyway, like you said yourself in the first part of your post - what is this so-called "masculinity"? I thought all men couldn't be defined as one.
    There isn't one 'masculinity', just like there's not one 'femininity'. You're twisting my words, when it was implied in my earlier post that there are different ways of being masculine.
    Maybe if men weren't so keen on retaining the idea of "masculinity" they would be able to feel secure and like they played an important role in a society in which women now have a voice. After all, feminists are NOT clawing back ground in the name of so-called "femininity".
    And what makes you think that it's all men who are trying to do this? This is a very narrow view of the world of men, something which, again, I tried to highlight in my earlier post. In any event, women are implicated in this concept as well (hegemonic masculinity). It's not good, but it exists. And while feminists might not be clawing back ground in the name of (so-called? not sure why it's 'so-called' when it clearly exists) femininity, it's women they're representing, and attempting to change secular views of what being a women is. Femininity is an important aspect of feminism, and when I use the term I don't mean hairspray and lip-gloss.
    There is no doubt that men have needed to redefine their role in society in the past couple of decades. Feminists are aware of this. But to suggest the world we live in is a female dominated society suggests you have a very insular view.
    This is fair enough, and I didn't really think my comment through (I was on my way out the door when I wrote it). Apologies for this. What I meant to say was that men have to contend in arenas where females clearly dominate. You only have to look at the relative lack of rights in child-custody hearings, time off for new fathers, to see one area where men are clearly at a loss. And yes, I accept that women have to face this in many other places as well, but both men and women have to work to fix these issue, rather than 'feminists' attempting to claw back their ground. Men can be at fault, but that doesn't mean that they are incapable of helping rectify the situation.
    Women may be closer to equality than ever before in the UK, certain parts of Europe and the USA but if you are seriously suggesting that [for example] Asian society is dominated by women then you need to wise up.
    Of course not, and I think it's appaling that women are treated in this way in areas of the world. But again, further my point above, men have a role to play in developing better gender relations. To vilify, criminalise, and in general degrade men as being complicit in this gender order only serves to further isolate men from being part of the solution, and cements their role as part of the problem.
    I think it's really sad that a thread (and day) to celebrate the great achievements of women past and present can't stand alone, without having a matching pair "men's day". I think that says everything we need to say about how the attitude toward women has not improved but mutated, as instead of being subservient they are now basically resented by a lot of men. I think it's a glaring indictment that there can't be a thread on this forum celebrating women without it being hijacked at the second post. Cheers.
    I salute the fact a women's day exists, but I think the rest of your post in bunkum. Of course men's attidues to women have mutated, and I don't think it's in the direction of resentment. This is pure speculation. International women's day is testament to women who rose up against hardship to improve the world. My asking if there was a men's day was only to highlight the fact even though women are celebrated throughout the world, maybe men who have changed the world, rose up against oppression, hardship, difficult times, and injustice, would be afforded the same opportunity.

If you're for gender equality, then there shouldn't be a international women's (or man's) day, there should be an international person of achievment day (or something). Maintaining these gender distinctions (masculinity/femininity) only serve to further divide men and women. We should really be looking at ways and methods to bridge this gap, and men and women play an important role in this. My intention wasn't to degrade, ridicule or otherwise look negatively on women, but at the same time it wasn't to raise the importance of men's issues.
    Can we please have a thread where it isn't hijacked and turned into a debate regarding gender roles and the construction/oppression of masculinities/femininities, taking away the focus of what International Women's Day is about? It's just a day for goodness sake, to celebrate women around the world, can we not even have that without someone instantly asking if there's the same for the other gender? As has been said, if there isn't, set one up and celebrate!
    It wasn't my intention to do so. My query was a genuine question, rather than an attempt at stirring up a hornet's nest.
    I think it's ridiculous that there is a notion that not only have women scaled the heights and attained equality... but somehow now they have superceded men and are dominant. The idea that men are now subject to treatment on any remote par with women throughout the ages is categorical bullshit.
    I've already addressed this earlier, but you seem so vehement about your position I wonder whether you'll even read what I've written.

Anyway, on to other things:

Betty Naomi Frieden
    Elizabeth Arden
    J K Rowling
    Coco Chanel
    Rosa Parks (said already, but worth mentioning again)
    Betty Ford
    Coretta Scott King
    Mary Wollstonecraft
  • Options
    I made a thread about it last year I believe - pretty sure it wasn't sidetracked at the first possible chance.

If you're doubting its longevity or legitimacy then rest assured it's been celebrated for decades. I think it celebrates its centenary next year :)

Hmm? No, I just meant I haven't heard of it before :p.
    MOK I totally agree, I think it's ridiculous that there is a notion that not only have women scaled the heights and attained equality... but somehow now they have superceded men and are dominant. The idea that men are now subject to treatment on any remote par with women throughout the ages is categorical bullshit.

We shouldn't sidetrack the thread though ;)

As for the women who we are celebrating, is it all great women, or is it particularly women who have triumphed in the face of male adversity (i.e. gaining the right to vote), or is just like 'we love women' day? Sorry :blush: I'm showing my naiveness all too clearly once again.
  • Options
    The point still stands that whether or not there is a men's day is completely irrelevant to the fact that there's a women's day. I think if you genuinely queried whether there was an international men's day then a quick google search would've been better than a glib comment/question which you must have known would antagonise. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

I personally think men who have broken ground and risen up against opression and changed their worlds are pretty well-celebrated. Though of course achievement and striving for them can always be celebrated more. I'm not twisting your words at all, I was just clarifying whether you thought masculinity was something that needed to be preserved or an outdated concept that can't be applied across the board and is thus fairly redundant. I understand your point now, but it wasn't at all clear.

Of course men have to be involved in any resolution of the issues that still exist in terms of gender roles etc. I haven't said otherwise. Being a feminist isn't limited to females, at all. That much is clear from reading this thread alone. Of course I'm vehement about my position, it's rubbish to imply that men are now the second sex, but I think I understand what you are saying.

Shyboy - it's a celebration of all women, though obviously it's also an opportunity for women to celebrate women past and present they feel have had influence and made the world of women what it is today :)

It's also supposed to open up a forum for debate and discussion about issues for women all over the world, in different cultures and religions. The UN has recently set a "theme" for the day, this year it was "Ending Impunity for Violence against Women and Girls". Basically to shine a spotlight on the lesser known and discussed issues affecting women.
  • Options
    Excuse me?

If you're not interested and find it all so "blah" then there's no obligation to post. Everything doesn't have to be of interest to you, thank fuck.
  • Options
    What about hermaphrodite pygmy day! God, I could spend all day naming their great achievements! :D
  • Options
    Marilyn Monroe, I reckon.

And Queen Victoria I.
    Catherine 'the great' of Russia - possibly the first woman to be known as 'the great'?
    Boudicca

I'll add as they come into my head :)
  • Options
    The point still stands that whether or not there is a men's day is completely irrelevant to the fact that there's a women's day. I think if you genuinely queried whether there was an international men's day then a quick google search would've been better than a glib comment/question which you must have known would antagonise. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

I personally think men who have broken ground and risen up against opression and changed their worlds are pretty well-celebrated. Though of course achievement and striving for them can always be celebrated more. I'm not twisting your words at all, I was just clarifying whether you thought masculinity was something that needed to be preserved or an outdated concept that can't be applied across the board and is thus fairly redundant. I understand your point now, but it wasn't at all clear.

Of course men have to be involved in any resolution of the issues that still exist in terms of gender roles etc. I haven't said otherwise. Being a feminist isn't limited to females, at all. That much is clear from reading this thread alone. Of course I'm vehement about my position, it's rubbish to imply that men are now the second sex, but I think I understand what you are saying.

Shyboy - it's a celebration of all women, though obviously it's also an opportunity for women to celebrate women past and present they feel have had influence and made the world of women what it is today :)

It's also supposed to open up a forum for debate and discussion about issues for women all over the world, in different cultures and religions. The UN has recently set a "theme" for the day, this year it was "Ending Impunity for Violence against Women and Girls". Basically to shine a spotlight on the lesser known and discussed issues affecting women.
    Glad to see we're getting on the same page. For what it's worth, I identify more with feminism than with 'masculinism'. Gender and gender-equality is always a thorny issue, but I think that in order to bridge these gaps we have to look at inclusive ways of bringing both sides into the solutions. See my post in politics and debate for my position on 'masculinity'.

And there is an international men's day, but 'support is limited'. Honestly, I didn't think it would antagonise, and I just couldn't be bother searching on google (sad, I know).
  • Options
    And you added so much to it... Glad you joined in, thanks.
  • Options
    Marie Curie.