Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kill it, Cook it, Eat it!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    If you feel so strongly about it, then why are you still eating meat?

My thoughts exactly!! :thumb:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    This is precisely why I never buy meat at any of the supermarkets except Waitrose.

When I was doing my degree we went to a farm that produced meat for waitrose and it was one of the nicest farms i had ever visited.

My local butchers is great - they put up all the heard details etc on the board so you know exactly where your meat has come from.

I also get meat occasionally from my friend who has a farm. I was bottle feeding one of the lambs before christmas and it did cross my mind weather it would end up feeding me eventually - mmmmmm mint sauce.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    How can we be treating animals right when we kill them?

Because I'm a hell of a lot higher up the food chain than a cow.
  • Options
    Because I'm a hell of a lot higher up the food chain than a cow.

Hate that attitude....just because you're bigger/stronger/higher up the food chain (who says, anyway??), you can do what you like with them?? Everything deserves to be treated with respect...I happen to be vegetarian, but I don't have a problem with people eating meat if they're honest with themselves and don't pretend an animal doesn't have to die to provide their food....and if animals HAVE to die for this reason, I'd rather they were killed in as humane a way as possible.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Hate that attitude....just because you're bigger/stronger/higher up the food chain (who says, anyway??), you can do what you like with them?? Everything deserves to be treated with respect...I happen to be vegetarian, but I don't have a problem with people eating meat if they're honest with themselves and don't pretend an animal doesn't have to die to provide their food....and if animals HAVE to die for this reason, I'd rather they were killed in as humane a way as possible.

They are treated with respect and they are treated humanely.

The day a cow can slaughter me, butcher me and make me into a stew then I'll concede that I'm not higher up on the food chain then them.
  • Options
    The day a cow can slaughter me, butcher me and make me into a stew then I'll concede that I'm not higher up on the food chain then them.

In my opinion, just because you're able to doesn't mean you should.....but I suppose that's a whole other debate....:chin:
  • Options
    I wouldn't be able to watch that, I watched a horror DVD from Peta which showed how cruelly some animals are treated (which brought on 2 weeks of eating no meat), I'm a VERY fussy meat eater- I only eat chicken, turkey, sausages/bacon/sirloin steak at a push.
  • Options
    Hate that attitude....just because you're bigger/stronger/higher up the food chain (who says, anyway??),

the fact that we are physically able to kill and cook and eat any of these creatures, makes us bigger / stronger/ higher up the food chain.

we are top of the food chain by definition. humans coined the phrase "food chain" after all.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Most of the meat we buy is from locals selling it up the pub and the meat raffle once a week always turns something up.
    Else I buy from the local market or Waitrose who's meat I always think is superb (though you pay for it).

People should be aware of where their meat comes from, else inhumane treatment of these animals can and soes go unoticed. Infact the meat eaters who insure that their meat comes from a decent supply are going to benifit animal treatment far more than vegetarians.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't eat meat as I'm vegetarian but I do like Waitrose and their ready meals use free-range eggs which is good as I feel sorry for the chickens otherwise.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to watch that, I watched a horror DVD from Peta which showed how cruelly some animals are treated (which brought on 2 weeks of eating no meat), I'm a VERY fussy meat eater- I only eat chicken, turkey, sausages/bacon/sirloin steak at a push.

You as bad as me on the eating meat front. I couldnt watch that programme, I dont want to see animals killed thank you very much.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    I'm a VERY fussy meat eater- I only eat chicken, turkey

Are you for real? Chickens and turkeys are treated the worst out of all the animals killed for meat, especially Bernard Matthews' birds. But they're not cute so nobody gives a stuff.

I wouldn't believe anything PETA publish, they're all a bunch of lying cunts who would benefit from 20 years in the slammer.

People who bury their heads in the sand about how the steak gets onto their plate allow inhumane practices to continue. When the only meat they eat is vacuum-wrapped in a supermarket they don't think about the animal it came from, and don't think about how it was treated. Factory packaging hides factory farming, and factory farming is inhumane and unethical.

If you can't bear the thought that the lovely steak came from Daisy then you shouldn't be eating the steak.
  • Options
    Meh.. I don't care how badly butchered they are. (From what I know) We give them a life, food, everything and when its their time we butcher them so we can eat meat, its part of the food chain. It's not going to stop me from eating meat..
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Meh.. I don't care how badly butchered they are. (From what I know) We give them a life, food, everything and when its their time we butcher them so we can eat meat, its part of the food chain. It's not going to stop me from eating meat..

And where is the meat eater's responsibility for the welfare of the animal in all that? There is a responsibility, whether you choose to ignore it or not is totally your perogative.
  • Options
    Meh.. I don't care how badly butchered they are.

Well you should, even if just for selfish reasons.

Meat that comes from animals reared properly and killed humanely tastes better than factory-farmed junk. Which is why Bernard Matthews turkey tastes of nothing, but fresh Northumberland turkey from my butcher tastes divine.
  • Options
    If you feel like that, then don't eat meat!! Think it's dishonest to blindly eat meat and try not to think about where it's come from, to be honest....either choose to eat it, fully aware of where your meat comes from and the processes involved, or go veggie....

I always say if you'd be prepared to kill it, then it's Ok to eat it. It annoys me... I know one girl who posts up loads of shit from PETA on myspace and goes on about animal cruelty yet she stuffs her face with Maccys or KFC given the chance. You either turn a blind eye about animal cruelty or you don't... I'm not yet vegan, but looking in to it.

I don't like PETA... As Kermit has said, they're liars and discredit animal rights activism. I also think the 'food chain' idea is bollocks. We may have more grey matter than a cow, but that is besides the point. We are still a species and are as dependent on our own eco system as any animal we see as below us. Every living organism exists because of its environment and the meat industry is destroying the environment around us.

Cow shit and chemicals are getting in to rivers, transport costs and cow farts are getting in to the atmosphere, rainforests are being ploughed to grow soy for livestock or to keep them. We may be "top of the foodchain" in that we can destroy and fuck everything up... But then that doesn't mean we should screw up the planet because we like beefburgers.

I mean eat what you want, but don't pretend that you're an animal lover if you're going to chow down on Bernard Matthews or use Colgate toothpaste. It gets on my tits when people don't want to claim responsibility for things they are a part of, in this case the slaughter and sometimes the horrific torture and treatment of living creatures.
  • Options
    I'd be prepared to kill an animal and eat it if I know how to do it humanely. I love meat. :yum:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'd be prepared to kill an animal and eat it if I know how to do it humanely. I love meat. :yum:

That's cool though... I have a lot of respect for people who hunt for their food as well.

It's the process in which beefburgers are made and factory farming which is repulsive.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    That's cool though... I have a lot of respect for people who hunt for their food as well.

It's the process in which beefburgers are made and factory farming which is repulsive.

Aye know what ya mean, did you see the roadkill chef on BBC3? He was pretty cool like.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

Factory farming is bad, but it depends on what beefburgers you buy as to how morally dubious they are. I buy beefburgers fresh from the butcher, or make my own, and they are pretty sound ethically. Brazilian beef is a bit more dubious ethically because of food miles and deforestation, so watch out with the corned beef.

It makes me laugh how many "animal lovers" still buy IAMS pet food.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Factory farming is bad, but it depends on what beefburgers you buy as to how morally dubious they are. I buy beefburgers fresh from the butcher, or make my own, and they are pretty sound ethically. Brazilian beef is a bit more dubious ethically because of food miles and deforestation, so watch out with the corned beef.

It makes me laugh how many "animal lovers" still buy IAMS pet food.

Yeah me too...

To be honest the animal testing debate... Well it's difficult to know if a product is safe unless it's BUAV approved.
  • Options
    Animal testing is justifiable in certain circumstances (e.g. drug testing) but not for cosmetics and certainly not for fucking dog biscuits.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Aye know what ya mean, did you see the roadkill chef on BBC3? He was pretty cool like.

Heard about him, sounds groovy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Animal testing is justifiable in certain circumstances (e.g. drug testing) but not for cosmetics and certainly not for fucking dog biscuits.

Debatable. I'm a bit dubious about animal testing in the long term, although it has benefitted us with some treatments... I don't think it's the answer and I don't think it is 100% reliable nor do I trust pharmacutical companies at all. But technology is progressing, hopefully we won't always have to use it.
  • Options
    What's the deal with Colgate toothpaste then?

NB, if it is something terrible then I will probably use up the new tube I bought but then switch :p
  • Options
    we all have to pick our battles though, some things I care about, others I ignore.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    we all have to pick our battles though, some things I care about, others I ignore.
    yeah but there's a difference between fighting a battle and not being a part of animal cruelty.
  • Options
    Tell me about the toothpaste Sel!
  • Options
    Tell me about the toothpaste Sel!

You use it to brush your teeth...dirty teeth!
  • Options
    :p