Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kill it, Cook it, Eat it!

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/

Anybody who eats meat should make an effort to watch this.
Tonight was the story of how beef ends up on your plate, tomorrow it'll be lamb.

I thought the whole process in tonights program was very well done.
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »

I thought the whole process in tonights program was very well done.

ha ha nice one. Very well done :D I prefer mine meduim rare though

:thumb:
  • Options
    will have to find that on tinternet a few days after I suppose :chin:
    not having a tv and all.
  • Options
    so true
  • Options
    BBC 3 tonight. Worth watching.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What time? I might check it out
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    What time? I might check it out

In five mate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm putting it on right now...
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of watching this.

Didn't see the last night's show.

I'm seriously considering not eating meat again. Well, I'm not gonna be able to eat it until I forget about seeing this program. I feel sick.
  • Options
    I'm watching. I think it's vital to know where food comes from, otherwise, if we plea ignorance, then the animals could be treated in whichever fashion, and it isn't always good. Even if a person chooses to eat meat (which I do) it doesn't mean we want them to be raised, treated or slaughtered in an inhumane fashion.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I'm watching. I think it's vital to know where food comes from, otherwise, if we plea ignorance, then the animals could be treated in whichever fashion, and it isn't always good. Even if a person chooses to eat meat (which I do) it doesn't mean we want them to be raised, treated or slaughtered in an inhumane fashion.

:thumb:

I've been quite impressed with the whole process in both programs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Me too, and it shows what a skill butchery is (my step-grandfather was a butcher). If I had the time, I'd always get my meat from a butcher. I think this programme is going to make me kick myself up the arse and make the effort.
  • Options
    The problem is though that small independent butchers are disappearing in favour of the supermarket chains - my nearest is a good 20 minute drive.

Saying that, I would recommend people making the most of their local farmers markets - the prices may be slightly higher but you get what you pay for!
  • Options
    I wasn't too impressed with the meat in my farmers market. Luckily there is a family run butchers close to where I live so I'll give them a shot (20 min drive?! :( ). I used to live around the corner from a butchers, and I loved the relationship set up from that. They'd always check that the meat I wanted was ok with me, if I wanted chicken breasts they'd show me the bird and take them straight off the bird, they'd ask me what I was cooking and recommend things. :yum:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I wasn't too impressed with the meat in my farmers market.

Was it a London market? They tend to be quite big and I'm not quite sure as to the quality. We used to do markets every weekend throughout Kent, Surrey and Sussex (family business used to be smoked salmon) and they were much much smaller - as you say though, it is more to do the with the relationship between you and the butcher and knowing you can trust their quality.

I might try and make the effort to get to the butchers and stock up for the freezer - would make the trip worthwhile :)
  • Options
    Yeah, Clapham South. The veg there is really good and cheap, but the meat was very expensive for what it was, and while I'm sure a lot of foodies feel oh-so-clever by eating something organic/sundried in the sahara wind ;) I'm not prepared to pay £5 for a small fish pie where I can buy the ingredients elsewhere and make it from scratch for a fraction of the price. Marylebone farmers market was a little better, but I found the butchers cheaper and the quality of meat was like no other.
  • Options
    This is precisely why I never buy meat at any of the supermarkets except Waitrose.
  • Options
    The butchers don't do the killing anymore, though- since BSE and foot and mouth the law has changed and only registered abbatoirs can kill. So rather than the farmers killing their lambs on their land, they have to cart them 50 miles in a truck to let someone else kill them. A tribute to humane killing!

I get all my meat from the butcher's, and it tastes about 100 times better because of it. I always go to the same butcher in the Grainger Market and he knows who we are and what we want.

Budda, Waitrose aren't that good. The best supermarket in this country is the Dales and Lakes supermarket Booth's :yum:
  • Options
    That's a bit of a long drive for Budda from London though :p
  • Options
    Good program, definately something to watch if you do eat meat. Quite a few of those people, that guy was apparantly a big meat eater, couldn't actually eat the lamb after they watched it being slaughtered.
    It made me feel sick when I saw the stomach being cut out, but as soon as I saw the meat being cooked it made me feel hungry again! :yum::lol:
    Glad I watched it though, true the sheep are being slaughtered but it must take alot of skill to actually know how to do it properly and at least it wasn't cruel.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Budda, Waitrose aren't that good. The best supermarket in this country is the Dales and Lakes supermarket Booth's :yum:

They are a bit over the odds, and I dont do my weekly shop there, but they are decent to their farm suppliers (shock horror!) and they do insist on decent conditions for the animals.
  • Options
    "kill it, cook it, eat it"

Just the title makes me want to turn veggie, never mind watching or going on the link.

I do eat meat (fussy meat eater, not red meat) but I just try not to think that the animal has been killed for me to eat it. If I thought about that whilst eating the meat well I wouldn't eat it!
    Why should some poor animal be killed just for me to have something tasty in my mouth?
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    Why should some poor animal be killed just for me to have something tasty in my mouth?

That poor animal wouldnt be alive at all if you werent going to eat it. If we treat animals right I see no reason not to eat them.
  • Options
    It's ok to eat animals, because we are better than them :yes:

(Not really.)
  • Options
    It's ok to eat animals, because we are better than them :yes:

We are not better than the stoat, they can do a Dance of Death!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    That poor animal wouldnt be alive at all if you werent going to eat it. If we treat animals right I see no reason not to eat them.

How can we be treating animals right when we kill them?
  • Options
    I do eat meat (fussy meat eater, not red meat) but I just try not to think that the animal has been killed for me to eat it.

But don't you see the paradox in that? If you close your eyes to how the animal is killed, (because yes, an animal has to die) then the people who raise the animals/kill them etc can treat them however they want, because they know that the person tucking into whatever has been reclaimed is pleading ignorance. If you watched the progamme, the butchers were telling people of signs to look for in the meat that shows it's fresh and the animal was stunned properly (no burst capillaries in the tissue) etc.

I'd rather know that an animal has been treated well, including up until the point of death, because as Kermit said, quality meat tastes so much better. The chicken I had in Italy that was raised and slaughtered on my uncle's farm was the best I had ever tasted (I plucked it too).

Well, you can ensure that the transportation was as easy for them as possible, making sure they are stunned properly, having experienced, skilled workers in the process.
  • Options
    I watched a goat being slaughtered, gutted and skinned once. It seemed to be the highlight of the day for the group of kids watching it.
  • Options
    It's a great programme. I've always thought that shouldn't eat meat unless you could kill it yourself.
  • Options

If you feel like that, then don't eat meat!! Think it's dishonest to blindly eat meat and try not to think about where it's come from, to be honest....either choose to eat it, fully aware of where your meat comes from and the processes involved, or go veggie....
  • Options

If you feel so strongly about it, then why are you still eating meat?