Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Neighbourhood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what's it like where you live?

The last place I lived in was quiet, neighbours kept to themselves and didn't really see anyone out and about much, unless they were gardening or washing their cars.

Now I live on a semi council-estate and it's mad... Just today 3 chavs went passed pushing a full set of furniture (in the rain)... sofa and chairs... No idea where they were going with it, or why.
Then there's the icecream van that goes around in the dark, in winter in all-weathers... :confused: (maybe they took the idea from shameless and are dealing drugs, I dunno).

There's always bizzar things happening and bizzar people walking around. Like the gnome people who live across the road (there's 3 of them, and they all look like gnomes, and they walk to and from the bus-stop all day often carrying heavy objects).

And then just occasionally two couples walk passed together in full hiking gear... Now I know it's not that far from the peak district where I live... but do you really need walking boots and poles to strole through a housing estate?

If I have a really boring day, I know I can just watch out the window and something amusing or strange will happen.
Is it at all interesting where you live?

Comments

• Options
    I live on quite a nice estate its nice and quiet too but its dead boring nothing ever happens everyone just keeps themselves to themselves
  • Options
    Council estate in a village outside the main town. It's alright, young one's get up to mischief of course but there's no violent robberies or houses burning down or anything.
  • Options
    My area is pretty quite, not much happens round here. Live right opposite the local secondary school, but I'm out at work all day so it doesnt effect me that much.
  • Options
    Council estate as well. This area had a pretty bad rep but its alright really. Only time anything really kicks off is if someone new trys to 'steal turf' so to speak.
  • Options
    My neighbourhood is quiet. I live about 5 minute walk from a council estate which isn't that bad, but it does have it's moments, e.g. cats being shot at from air guns, cars burnt etc. But that is rare.
  • Options
    No i live on a massive estate of new builds and it's pretty boring.

There was a paedophile that lived a few doors down but he moved after i kept heckling him from my windows. Not sure that was the proper reason he went but i'd like to think i played my part!

Theres an ugly family across the road, bloke that only ever has young men visiting his house, an old bloke who everyone knows, scouses who annoy everyone, and the family with the girl that i hate and who when i get the chance am gonna severely beat.

I'm the anti social one. I drive my car down the road at midnight with the music on tres loud. Can't stand a lot of my neighbours.
  • Options
    Small island, simular to craggy island on father ted ;)

na, very quiet neighbourhood but on a busy road (the only one on the island I might add)
  • Options
    I have lived in some real shit holes and some nice places.

When i was uni, i lived in the most burglered street in the UK (According to the News of the World). That place was an eye opener. full of strange people :):yes:

In London i lived in a nice area, only the tube ran 5 meters away from my back door, and i couldnt get to sleep until the trains stopped for the night, and my CD would jump in the player from the train vibrations :banghead:

Now im living back at my parents, and its boring as fuck. Nothing ever happens here. I could walk around now and not see a single person. Its shit, i spent most of the day looking at the fields over the road. Nice area though shame its a mission into the city. :thumb:
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »

I'm the anti social one. I drive my car down the road at midnight with the music on tres loud. Can't stand a lot of my neighbours.

:yes: thought as much :D

:thumb:
  • Options
    I live in a wee village about 20 mins from the centre of Glasgow, it's really quiet and the type of place where everyone knows everyone.

We've been here nearly 3 years now and Im only just starting to feel like I kinda belong here now rather than being a newbie. Thanks to Archie though I am on first name terms with most of the doggies in the village ;)
  • Options
    My town everyone knows everyone and everyones business, not always a good thing. I feel safe in my town, yes it is a bit boring but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
  • Options
  • Options
    in an old mining/market town. It's got a bad rep but it's not as bad as people think. I live on the edge so it's quite quiet here. It wasn't a few years ago when we had a trouble family living here and a few others that have been and gone.
    It's mostly old people here, but there are alot of people that don't work. There's one massive family opposite that seem to do nothing but sit outside with the kids smoking all day.
  • Options
    I live in a suburban town full of white people. Where I actually live is a Close, hate two of my neighbours. They're the kind of people who as soon as you set foot out the door they stare at you disapprovingly. One of the set of neighbours my family had a dispute with and basically they were complete wankers to us. They decided to ignore me at my own dad's funeral. The other neighbour lives next door to them and they gossip and bitch to eachother. I seriously would not care if they snuffed it tomorrow.
  • Options
    I live about two miles away from Braintree town centre. It's alright, I suppose. Other than chavs setting fireworks off down the path to Great Notley (big big estate about a mile away) from mid-October til mid-January and frightening the living fuck out of my dogs. It's mostly new buildings round here, so there are a lot of young families, middle aged couples, stuff like that.
  • Options
    back home i live on a fairly busy road in a decent area (for my town ;)) - but you only have to walk a few mins down the road to be in a dodgy area. it's quite leafy (only because trees line the road!) but also only 10-15 minute walk from the town centre. eta: and the road is predominantly taken up by elderly people.

at uni i again live on a busy road, near the top of a long bitch of a hill. :grump: it's not as studenty as some areas around here, as it's more up hill. there are some really big gorgeous houses and quite a few guest houses. the house i live in is massive but not quite gorgeous. oh and i live near a bail hostel. :p
  • Options
    At uni I live around lots and lots of uni students. Its noisy and busy. I'm constantly being woken up by drunken students outside, running up the stairs, etc. Also, all of my neighbours are bad for playing loud music whatever the hour to the extent that my desk shakes.

Its in the centre of Preston though. Most students want to live where I do. Its a very popular place to live. Its right nextdoor to the University campus, the shops, a pub and the student union. Its also a 5 minute walk from town. I love it here.

Back home I live on a mixed council/bought homes estate. Its nice and quiet. You wouldn't actually think it was a council estate as most of the houses are bought. The village is filled with mostly oldies. We have a lovely old woman who lives nextdoor to us who buys us lots of chocolates at christmas and theres an old woman down the road who always makes pumpkins for us at halloween. Haha. We also have a old woman who lives on the other side of us but we haven't seen her leave the house in the whole 3 years we have lived there.

There are a few twats there but you get that everywhere you go.

Its a lovely place to live though. Its about 1 mile from Delamere forest, 2 miles from another which has a massive lake. We have a few village shops, a post office and a pub too. Wahey!
  • Options
    We also have a old woman who lives on the other side of us but we haven't seen her leave the house in the whole 3 years we have lived there.

how do you know she's still alive? :nervous:
  • Options
    i live on a very rough estate, we are community first status (dont no if they have that in England), basically it means we get shit loads of money plowed into the area to make it liveable.

Crime is a daily occurance here, we regually have murders and gang fights, amogst other petty crimes.

the street i live on ist that bad, everyone pretty much keeps themselves 2 themselves. but always gossip about others.

Overal an interesting place to live!
  • Options
    i live in a working class area in north belfast.. its got some of the craziest people you'll ever come across and some very anti-social behaviour!

its also an extremely republican area and has some of the worst rioting in ireland at times .. despite that its a very close community cuz of the amount of stuff thats happened, even though its large enough

its still home tho and i feel safer there than most other places, you also develop a good street sense that you wouldn't do many places!
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    how do you know she's still alive? :nervous:

Haha. We don't.

We've seen people doing her gardening though. She must pay them or something?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure none of our neighbors actually live at the houses. Most of them I've seen very rarely or never except for the annoying guy across the street who plays with all his big boy toys at all hours and weather. I think he makes his girlfriend walk to his house too, I've never seen her drive but always walking. Weird couple. I hope they never breed. I'm quite sure he doesn't work either, where he gets all the money, who knows. Occassionally you'll see a person out walking a dog. I've only seen a coupld kids a copule times and they are nice and quiet.

The people behind us are older and very nice, say hi and stuff when we go out and grill. They have lovely flowers.

Everything is really quiet and its nice.

Though, you could probably get robed or murdered very loudly but everybody would be minding their own busisness and wouldn't care or even be around to save you.
  • Options
    The area I live justnow is lovely, shops nearby, good links into the city, the flat is great and my flatmates are spot on.

Last area was a total shitehole where a young kid got murdered about 20 yards from my front door.

Place before that was in the middle of the multi-cultural Glasgow. I got jumped a couple of times walking home drunk (possibly because I was white) and another kid got bundled into a car, tortured and murdered, again about 20/30 yards from my front door. Loads of good takeways nearby though, and the flat was cool.

Place before that was right in the middle of Dundee city centre, next to Maccy D's. Made it a bit too easy to spend money on pubs and going out. I was living there when Pete Doherty got done for drinking in the street at the bottom of my block of flats :thumb:

Erm aye, sorry for the life story.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know what to say about my area... It's in Athens, sure, but far from the centre so it feels more like a town. Lots of trees pretty much everywhere, coming out of the pavewalks, and there's a beach at the south end.
    Things seem generally fine, you very rarely see anyone that could be classed as "strange" or that looks dodgy, but I've heard that many people have had their houses broken into.
    I don't know what else to say really.
  • Options
    The road I live on is rough as in some ways. When my boss lived up here she had 2 cars nicked and one torched. Safe. I live in a little new build flat complex thing behind massive security gates though which is pretty good, and theres 30 flats. We have our own little community thing going on, and its really nice although I piss the old bag on the corner off by coming home at all hours of the morning. Sorry love, my social life is important :thumb:
  • Options
    compared to some of the other places I have lived, where I am now isn't so bad. Except for THE most annoying twat who lives about five doors down from me who just sits in his stupid car playing shit r'n'b songs at one in the morning then decides to drive up and down the road rev his engine. at weekendds im never in anyway but in the week it really annoys me. And my next door neighbour was obsessed with me and my sister for a bit which was slightly creepy. But when i threw a massive party when my mum was on holiday about two years ago my other neighbours were really nice about it and said they wouldnt say anything if a few of my mates helped them build a shed.
  • Options
    I love where I live its a nice mixture of well everything - all sorts of different cultures, mixed housing for example there are council houses on the road behind my house - yet the normal terraced houses on the road still cost about £500K to buy.

Its got good transport links bus tube and train and airports within a 30 min drive, plus the park and the heath and its easy for me to drive to the country, my parents and in laws and bluewater for shopping.

Its also really quiet as well - like I can see a really big road from my bedroom window (it used to be a motorway but got downgraded) and yet I can't hear anything at all - i often lie in bed thinking just how quiet it is. There also isn't really any trouble either - except for the local kids who tag everything insight.

The only downside is that my backgarden is tiny and I would really like a bigger one and a slightly bigger house - but i will never be able to afford to move within the same area. Plus parking in the town centre is a nightmare at the weekend - hence why I always go to bluewater to do shopping - which is kind of crap....
  • Options
    I piss on the old bag on the corner when coming home at all hours of the morning.
    Um, can't you wait until you go in the toilet, since you've come that far?

:p
  • Options
    Um, can't you wait until you go in the toilet, since you've come that far?

:p

I knew there was something wrong with that sentence. :lol:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I knew there was something wrong with that sentence. :lol:
    What changing a few little words can do, huh? :D