Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Microwave V HomeMade

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK so obviously the answer is homemade. I bought (and half ate) my FIRST microwave meal last night and never again! It was chicken hotpot. Sounded yummy but was totally :yuck: chewy chicken, hard potatoes just :yuck:

I want to try to make it myself but urm, :nervous: don't know where to start!

(point and laugh, I can't cook!)

Comments

• Options
    Start with a cookbook that's cooking for idiots. Or start helping someone in the kitchen out.
  • Options
    some microwave meals are quite good. Chicken hotpot is rank, homemade or otherwise.
  • Options
    Marks and spencer microwave meals are nice :yum:
  • Options
    oven food and boiled food is ok for me and usually not that hard to cook just takes longer but still easy.

Like yourself tho I am not a fan of microwave food.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Or start helping someone in the kitchen out.

:yes: imo that's a much better way to learn than just getting a recipe book and trying to cook a big dish for yourself from scratch.
  • Options
    It's how I'm teaching my mate to cook, just having her with me, and then telling her to do stuff.
  • Options
    To be honest, the way I learnt to cook was from my food technology lessons/working in a cafe. I had a bit of both - working alongside others and my teacher so we could all help each other out, but in the cafe I was kinda thrown into it, even though it was only basics I did there.

If you were looking for a cookbook that starts you off easily then I'd probably recommend typing "The Student Cookbook" into Amazon. I've got two (different) books with that title, and they're both really good, makes things quite easy but there's some more interesting dishes in there as well as basic things.

Microwave meals can be :yum: though, really useful if you're in a rush one day (I normally have one if I'm going out on a Saturday and didn't finish work til closing). Sounds like the one yu had wasn't overly nice though. :(
  • Options
    If you want to learn to cook, do you have people you can learn from? Do you have mates who cook? I learned a lot of the tricks I now use from my mum and my wife, and I in turn have shown a couple of mates how to cook.

If you don't know anyone you could try a cookery course at college, that sort of thing. Cooking is easy and enjoyable, but if you don't know where to start then it can seem overwhelming.

There's no shame in not knowing how to cook, if nobody has ever shown you how are you meant to learn?

Try getting studenty cookbooks, as they tend to be quite fool-proof, and start with easy things like casseroles. The way you learn is by doing things wrong, so don't be scared to bin stuff that's gone wrong.

There is no such thing as a good ready meal.
  • Options
    Sorry but all microwave meals without exception are complete shit compared to proper food.

You can get the ones which are OK, in relation to the ones which are like cardboard.. but really, its just not the same!

OK if you're stuck in work or late but otherwise:no:
  • Options
    There's no contest!

Don't forget that there are millions of recipes on the internet for everything imaginable.

Also don't forget that sometimes, if something doesn't turn out right, it's because the recipe is duff (yes, even some of them in books) rather than because you've done something wrong.
  • Options
    the only thing i prefer in a ready made meal is macaroni cheese
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Marks and spencer microwave meals are nice :yum:

:yes: but quite expensive
    cook for yourself - cheaper and (provided you can cook) it should taste a damn sight better than any of the ready made stuff you can buy.
    if you are crap at cooking then remember 'practice makes perfect'
  • Options
    Jacket potato made in the microwave is easy and pretty healthy depending on what you put in it. Mmmmm.
  • Options
    Steak & Kidney puddings that can be cooked in the microwave are really nice and so are the beef and chicken curry's, but other than that ready made food does tend to taste like shit.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    the only thing i prefer in a ready made meal is macaroni cheese
    You've clearly never had a good macaroni and cheese.
  • Options
    the only time i ate a lot of ready meals was when im on a diet, as much easier to calorie count when its written on the box, plus sainsburies value readymeals are even lower calorie than the weightwatchers ones, plus actually taste better (by quite a long shot)!

Other than that, tastewise, and nutritionwise, there is no contest.
    Home made every time.
  • Options
    i'm learning from my mum - really enjoying it, i didn't learn anything in food tech and i did it for gcse. We never made proper meals cause there isn't enough time.
  • Options
    I lived without and oven for 6 months once only had a microwave - foudn come great websites for cooking with microwaves including a delicious meatloaf. it can be done - searchthe net
  • Options
    Home made meals are so much better, but I don't have them that often.:(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't generaly eat Microwave meals and I prefer to cook.

Do like the Chigaco Town Pizzas though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Homemade all the way. Cant really cook much though, but I'm a dab hand at chucking stuff in the oven and warming it up. There luckily isnt a microwave at home as we have no luck with them.
  • Options
    The only thing I put in the microwave is my lunch when I'm warming it up at uni
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Do like the Chigaco Town Pizzas though.

Are you talking about the mini ones? They rock!
  • Options
    never tried a frozen hotpot before but tesco do a gorgeous beef filled yorkshire puddin its bloody lovely

as for cookin though i just learnt by watchin other people and gettin a basic cookin book and then carried on from there
  • Options
    those mini pizzas suck, but my brother likes them- maybe it's a b oy thing. Lidl have spinach and ricotta caneloni for £1.29, massive too, about four portions- bargainous and delicious.
  • Options
    I quite like those chicago town mini pizzas too
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I lived without and oven for 6 months once only had a microwave - foudn come great websites for cooking with microwaves including a delicious meatloaf. it can be done - searchthe net

will tell my boyfriend, he just moved into a place without an oven and is living out of the microwave.
  • Options
    I am liking mircowave packs of vegetables that steam themselves in a mircowave (aka "steamers"). I got some on special offer at Waitrose this afternoon :yippe:
  • Options
    The only microwave meal I've ever liked in Tescos Healthy Living Chicken pasta, like SCC said, it's good for counting calories, as I'm on a diet :)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You've clearly never had a good macaroni and cheese.

i have had a few actually but always seem to prefer morrisons micro one...not too cheesy, but enough taste