Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People who put the lid down in public toilets

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm just amazed you've found a public toilet with a seat, let alone a lid.

At work I put the lid down, its more hygienic and the lid is there to keep the germs in the toilet not in the air around you. Wash your hands as you leave and everything is fine. It makes me laugh how scared of germs people are, they're not going to kill you, and there are probably as many nasty bacteria on your keyboard as there are on a toilet lid.

You should wear gloves all the time in case a germ touches you!
  • Options
    I don't mind public toilets if they're in somewhere. I can't stand proper public toilets though, because they're always disguisting. I'd always go into McDonalds are something first. At work I just use the disabled toilet because only the other staff and maybe one other person a day use it.
  • Options
    I'm not scared of germs, I'm just a hygenic kind of person. I clean my keyboard regularly too.

As for squatting type toilets, the first time I saw one I thought it was gross, but once you know how to use them without splashing everywhere they are actually quite hygenic. At least you don't have to touch anything.
  • Options
    I don't mind public toilets if they're in somewhere. I can't stand proper public toilets though, because they're always disguisting. I'd always go into McDonalds are something first.

Same. I didn't think most public toilets had lids, or maybe I've just never noticed. I've never walked into a public toilet to see the lid down though, that's for sure.
  • Options
    id never lift it up again id wait til there was a toilet where the lid was already up lol
  • Options
    I don't mind public toilets if they're in somewhere. I can't stand proper public toilets though, because they're always disguisting. I'd always go into McDonalds are something first. At work I just use the disabled toilet because only the other staff and maybe one other person a day use it.

oh I agree there tho... I had an diarrhea emergeny once and ran into a trainway station toilet... well at first I couldn't find the toilet, because it was hiddin behind a pile of shit, and shit dangling from the ceiling (true story) waiting to ambush you, when you take a dump...

I held it back and it nearly got a pants soiling story, but I do not mind workplace or university toilets, they are better maintained then your home toilet!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    I'm not scared of germs, I'm just a hygenic kind of person. I clean my keyboard regularly too.

Fair enough, a few germs never did anyone any harm though. Soap and water will kill most germs, so I don't get the whole must-not-touch thing.

Public loos are great for a splash and dash, but I won't have a poo in one unless its one of those superloo jobbies with an attendant. Eugh. There's germs and then there's germs.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Fair enough, a few germs never did anyone any harm though.

:eek:

M.R.S.A.
    C. Diff.

Do I need to say more?
  • Options
    :eek:

M.R.S.A.
    C. Diff.

Do I need to say more?

I would suggest that the problem wasn't the germs, it is firstly the lack of personal hygiene from people in the hospital, and secondly the reduced immune system of the victims.

Isn't the rise of sterilisation and obsessive cleaning in homes linked to asthma?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    There is someone at my work who puts the lids down in the toilets. It's so gross. I put the lid down at home but never in public/work toilets, as it forces people to touch the germ infested lid.

Do you put the lid down in public loos? I hate public loos...there always seems to be pubes on the seat. Ugh.

I don't touch them at all, I just flick it up with my feet and use bog paper is I HAVE to sit on there which I tend not to.
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me...

Eyeballs, now THEY gross me out!
  • Options
    i muust say ive never caught MRSA or c.diff from a public toilet.
  • Options
    i muust say ive never caught MRSA or c.diff from a public toilet.

I got crabs and a baby from one :(
  • Options
    I soo love my town's loos. resident cleaner. autosensor taps, clean, smell nice, no doors just a double walkway thing, shiney loo award certificates on the walls.
  • Options
    I have to admit though, in my student house, the toilet is right next to another students room (a girl!) so if I'm doing a number two I always run the tap so it covers up the noise :p. I feel bad about all the water I must have wasted :( but then don't feel so bad, because in about a minute more water is lost through leaky pipes. Not the attitude to have, I know (Namaste would probably hang me :p) but gosh.

I like the idea of eco toilets though, half flush for wee and full flush for poo.
  • Options
    i wont even sit on the toliet i hoover above it maybe bcause a priest terriefied the life out of us screaming we would get aids if we sat on a public toliet he said this when he came the primary school i went to. he was also old and stuck in his old fashioned ways. wierd man he was stank of garlic
  • Options
    Hmmm, I would ignore the priest. Sounds like an anti sex 'there are tiny holes in condoms for aids to get through' catholic fundamentalist. You won't get aids from sitting on a toilet seat, I will bet you three lamborghinis and a submarine.