Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wikipedia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the deal with it? Why do some people hate it so much?

Comments

• Options
    Because anyone can post any old random crap on it?
  • Options
    Yeah. You can post anything you want. Its not so much that that I hate but then the fact that people use it to prove points and even for educational and learning purposes. Especially since all the lazy fuckers then only use it. I first started to hate it when I was doing a project for logic on WWI. I learned that the german currency had reached a low of one TRILLION to the us dollar. Also that the war in fact cost over 6 trillion dollars. Its filled will bullshit that people freely use when educational materials should be. Its not that it exists, its the morons that think they can use it as a sole purpose of research and the jackasses that use it and quote it to prove points or "inform" people when the things they are saying are completly false.

My poli sci teacher said we CANNOT use wikipedia at all for our research paper. I could have done him right there.

I refuse to click any link to it. I can't believe anythign on it. I'd much rather use something reputable.

Really, in my opinion, its the myspace of the dictionary world. Same kind of people using it. The only thing it misses is the over the head photo shots.
  • Options
    Anyone can submit any information they like, and this is rarely (if ever) checked to see whether it is true or not. Alot of the information on there is incorrect.

I could claim that I invented the dishwasher if I so fancied.

... Now that I mention it...
  • Options
    I'm not fussed by it tbh. I use it for my Art History project as it shows real images from the 1880's that I can't find elsewhere... It's handy if you're not sure of a word or something and you need a definition of an era or event that happened.

Other than that.. meh!
  • Options
    Really? I didn't know anyone could upload information, let alone unchecked information. Pff, and I thought it was reliable! :o

Thanks.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »

My poli sci teacher said we CANNOT use wikipedia at all for our research paper. I could have done him right there.

Of course you can't use it for a paper! That's almost as obvious as the infomation on there. Bear in mind most resources on the internet aren't suitable for assignments, but that doesn't mean they're worth nothing

I find wikepedia useful when you know nothing about a subject, it gives a good introduction and links to where to follow up the information given. Like most resources on the internet you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but I have found it useful in the past
  • Options
    All the information on wikipedia should in theory have a source from an academic journal or something similar. I think it's good in that there's a lot of knowledge on there. Some of it isn't accurate, but you take everything with a pinch of salt don't you?

For example, reading about Directx 10, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx_10 seems perfectly legitimate. I think it's when you find a contentious issue, for example Israel, that you find statements that seem to be more an anecdotal accout rather than facts.

"As tensions grew between the Jewish and Arab populations and Arab attacks on Jews increased, and with little apparent support from the British mandate authorities, the Jewish community began to rely on itself for defense."

If you're doing research, and find something on wikipedia, you can click on the reference next to whatever it is to find what academic journal / newspaper / source it came from. Then you would assess whether it was reliable, if it was use the information and use the citation.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it's when you find a contentious issue, for example Israel, that you find statements that seem to be more an anecdotal accout rather than facts.
    Not necessarily. It stated on there only a few months ago that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was Pompey's first goalkeeper, when he wasn't.
  • Options
    Ballix. The shit that gets posted eventually gets checked up, you need citations for your sources. I typed up a bogus thing about a local band and it got took down a couple of weeks later.

May not be totally reliable but it is a good site so fuck ye's!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Ballix. The shit that gets posted eventually gets checked up
    Maybe eventually, but not always very quickly at all, which can leave incorrect information on there for ages. (See my post above ;))

Granted, it's good to look up stuff you know nout about, just not a reliable source for acedemic purposes.
  • Options
    Not necessarily. It stated on there only a few months ago that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was Pompey's first goalkeeper, when he wasn't.

Well people writing stupid things are always doing that, that's why I said you need to take it with a pinch of salt. I think once there was something about an explosion in the number of african elephants to 3 billion or something silly like that.
  • Options
    I think wikipedia is good. Its been really helpful the times i have needed it.

Just learn to take everything you read with a pinch of salt (even more so if you read the daily mail)

:thumb:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Because anyone can post any old random crap on it?

Wikipedia - Make up your own facts :D

the odd shit you put into there will be deleted soon tho. I really like wikipedia and it helped me numerous times for any kind of uni assignment, not to speak of helping me to kill so much time...

look into an article, and tab-open 10 links out of that article that you have interest in, and keep reading.. I call it "knowledge surfing" (©),
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well people writing stupid things are always doing that, that's why I said you need to take it with a pinch of salt.

Oh of course! Just making a point that there are some incorrect 'facts' on there.
  • Options
    Maybe eventually, but not always very quickly at all, which can leave incorrect information on there for ages. (See my post above ;))

Granted, it's good to look up stuff you know nout about, just not a reliable source for acedemic purposes.

Depends on what ya leave on it though. If you type shit about something important then it's gonna be down the next day, make up a random article about a local band then it'll take longer.

There was an invesatigation done a while back and wikipedia is as pretty reliable as any encyclopedia.
  • Options
    I'm just pissed I can't use it in any of my assignments. :(
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Of course you can't use it for a paper! That's almost as obvious as the infomation on there. Bear in mind most resources on the internet aren't suitable for assignments, but that doesn't mean they're worth nothing

I find wikepedia useful when you know nothing about a subject, it gives a good introduction and links to where to follow up the information given. Like most resources on the internet you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but I have found it useful in the past

Thing is you can. If a bibliography is not needed, who is to know if you used it or not. ALot of teachers dont' mind if you use it and alot of students do.
  • Options
    I'm just pissed I can't use it in any of my assignments. :(

Why would you want to use it? Any info it gives is just background sort of stuff. Books from the library are what ya want. :thumb:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think the only thing I have looked on wiki for (intentionally) was info on previous seasons of American Idol :lol:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I think wikipedia is good. Its been really helpful the times i have needed it.

Just learn to take everything you read with a pinch of salt (even more so if you read the daily mail)

:thumb:

Same.

The only thing is, if you see something that you know and can prove is incorrect, then alter it - that's how it works.

But you can find anything on there - and as long as you don't need every tiny detail to be 110% accurate, it's worthwhile checking there.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Why would you want to use it?

Cos I'm a lazy arse and would rather sit infront of the computer with a beer :razz:
  • Options
    But there are many educational and academic websites you could just as easily go to with a delicious beer.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    But there are many educational and academic websites you could just as easily go to with a delicious beer.

Oh indeed. Wikipedia is just usually the first link that search engines bring up :razz:
  • Options
    Wikipedia is great for looking up obscure things, not so great for info on Paris Hilton etc.

It's also good to point you in the direction of other topics and related things that you may not have thought of on your own if you are doing research.
  • Options
    it's not that bad. it's a very good starting point for most research. so long as you remember that it can be inaccurate, it's a very useful resource.
  • Options
    It's also hands down a much better developed website from a search / infrastructure point of view. Most academic websites tend to be disgracefully difficult to search and are poorly presented. Wikipedia is a good starting point - does lead to many academic sites, and is updated and checked infinitely more regularly than any academic site - which can often take months, if not years to check their old content.

Even upping TheSite.org page, I think changes were corrected within minutes of the page going live, and changes we made were checked within minutes again the last time we edited it.
  • Options
    We got banned from referencing it, because it wasn't a reliable enough source.

One of our supervisors then did go onto point out that it is of course entirely reasonable to reference the stuff wiki references.

I find it to be a handy summary and a good starting point as it often has good links to other 'reliable' sites.
  • Options
    I don't hate it, but my classics teacher spazzed at people who used it for our assignment
  • Options
    I put myself under notable people for my hometown. It was taken down after a few days.
  • Options
    The best thing about wikipedia is the game where you update information about a celebrity adding in their date of death...10 points if you can get a newspaper to report about it..:D