Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Train Crash in Cumbria

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6391633.stm

Anyone live near here?

So spookey I was watching a documentary on train crashes on Discovery just last night...:(

Comments

• Options
    That's spooky.

I hope nobody has died, and it appears that nobody has done so yet. If not its a testament to just how safe Britain's trains now are.
  • Options
    One death has just been reported, it's on BBC scrolling headline but no story yet.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    One confirmed fatality.

Overall a very very lucky escape to say the train was at 100mph.
  • Options
    Congratulations to the BBC for printing pictures of the inside of the carriage after the incident. Cunts.

There were three seriously injured after the incident. I hope one fatality is all we have.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Congratulations to the BBC for printing pictures of the inside of the carriage after the incident.cunts
    correct! we payed them to do that!
  • Options
    Hope no one else dies.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Congratulations to the BBC for printing pictures of the inside of the carriage after the incident. Cunts.

Story
    . Just to show it isn't just the BBC. I would post the ITN website too, but they don't even have the story on there yet. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fucking hell, I was on a Virgin train on that exact line only 2 weekends ago. Makes you think.
  • Options
    The dead is an elderly woman. train crew all amazingly OK.
  • Options
    Thats scary. I get the London-Glasgow virgin train home :eek:
  • Options
    I was disgusted at how soon it was posted on Wikipedia, literally about an hour afterwards.
  • Options
    scares me shitless to get on a train on monday morning.
  • Options
    Why? Apart from the fact it came of the rails, the carriages themselves aren't damaged much and the passengers are ok. Virgin Pendolinos are quite tough apparently! It could have been so much worse - imagine if it was one of those bus train things, it would have just been squished.
  • Options
    Because it came on off the fucking rails, 1 person dead, 5 injured. Yes it could have been much worse I agree but the fact it still happened...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about getting on a train tomorrow, unless you were wanting to travel on that bit of track because I think it's going to be closed for about a week.

Trains don't usually come off the rails you know :)
  • Options
    I suppose we could always reel out the line that rail is by far the safest form of land transport.

You would be run over 4 times or in a car crash 7 times before you'd be in a train accident.
  • Options
    I was disgusted at how soon it was posted on Wikipedia, literally about an hour afterwards.

What this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayrigg_rail_crash

What's the big deal, it seems more informative then most of the news websites.
    Seems pretty well written.
  • Options
    It is imformative I'll give it that.
  • Options
    They've expanded on it since last night. I was just a bit :eek: about how fast it was up there.
  • Options
    I wonder how the French TGV trains would have handled the same crash .. anyone know if the wheel placement is the same? i.e. the wheels are shared between carriages to keep the carriages together in a crash?

trailer.gif
  • Options
    What difference would it have made? < genuine question!
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    scares me shitless to get on a train on monday morning.

Bizarrely enough, it actually makes me less worried about getting on a Virgin train after this. Massive progress has obviously been made in the way trains are built. Considering all the carriges left the track, it's amazing that more people weren't killed or seriously injured. When you compare pictures of previous rail crashes and see how the trains just crumpled and then look at the intact pictures of last nights crash, it shows how much safer they are now.
  • Options
    Bizarrely enough, it actually makes me less worried about getting on a Virgin train after this. Massive progress has obviously been made in the way trains are built. Considering all the carriges left the track, it's amazing that more people weren't killed or seriously injured. When you compare pictures of previous rail crashes and see how the trains just crumpled and then look at the intact pictures of last nights crash, it shows how much safer they are now.

Yes but it has still happened. And because they were so lucky in how many people have not been injured etc what might happen next time? The next time might be the time me or you are on a train. I know I am thinking rediciously (sp?) as I am more likely to die in a car crash or whatever but just makes you stop and think.
  • Options
    What difference would it have made? < genuine question!

Cos if the carriages are attached like in the TGV it helps them stay together in a derailment so they are less likely to flip over, etc like in this picture - which derailed at 150 mph

_779277_eurostar300.jpg
  • Options
    Oh right. I wonder though, because I think the steep embankment played a part in this crash as there was further for it to fall.
  • Options
    Just been the paper shop to get some bread and on the front page of the Preston newspaper it says 12 people are seriously injured. It scares me a little as I get on that train when I go home to Warrington. Still, its amazing not more people were seriously hurt.
  • Options
    Just been the paper shop to get some bread and on the front page of the Preston newspaper it says 12 people are seriously injured. It scares me a little as I get on that train when I go home to Warrington. Still, its amazing not more people were seriously hurt.

Looks like the carriages all stay well in tact, what would have probably caused most injuries are people being thrown about inside of the train and being hit by luggage - never been on a Virgin Train - do they (or any train) have seltbelts (should you want to use them?)

Usually safer to sit backwards on a train so your entire back takes the force of a forward crash.
  • Options
    No, there isn't seatbelts.
  • Options
    I expect that there is a limited requirement for seatbelts on a vehicle with as much momentum and mass as a train.

Frankly I was impressed with how well the train survived this incident. The glass in every carriage looked untouched, the front engine was upside-down or sideways or something but had only a few dents in it. Good thing it was a new style of train - if it were one of the stupid old rickety things they have doing the runs down here all the carriages would have disintegrated and people would have been spread over the fields. As it was, 80% of the people on board walked away.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I expect that there is a limited requirement for seatbelts on a vehicle with as much momentum and mass as a train.

Frankly I was impressed with how well the train survived this incident. The glass in every carriage looked untouched, the front engine was upside-down or sideways or something but had only a few dents in it. Good thing it was a new style of train - if it were one of the stupid old rickety things they have doing the runs down here all the carriages would have disintegrated and people would have been spread over the fields. As it was, 80% of the people on board walked away.

Same here. Any of the older trains and there could have been fire an all sorts.