Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni too easy for me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
(not a wind up)

Im under no illusions that the course is not going to get harder in the second and third year. I am anything but a geek, but i cant understand why im doing so well. I got poor grades at A level, but scraped into Leeds Met, got lower than the required CCC for my course.

I only have 7 hours of seminars, and do about 2 hours additional work on average per week, the rest of the time im out partying. I just feel my degree will be completly worthless, if someone like me (who always struggled at A levels) can be getting 75-80% in essays with such little effort.

I repeat, complacency, and self admiration is anything but the theme of this post:thumb: Just wanted to know anyones opinion on the possibilties of changing my course or even my beloved university (leeds met).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Like you've already said the 2nd and 3rd year are going to be a lot more challenging. Last year I did all my assignments in no more than 2 nights before they were due in and the only independant study I did was to find references for my assignments. I was getting no less than 70%. I failed the 1st assignment this year though so it's definatly knocked me down a peg or two.
  • Options
    What kind of grades are you getting and how much background reading are you doing? Can you talk to people in the 2nd/3rd year of your course and find out if it gets any harder?

If it's really boring you then talk to your tutor and see what the options are.
  • Options
    welcome to university. find me one university that isn't like that in the 1st year, and i'll be impressed.
  • Options
    Mine!
  • Options
    I passed a first year english module with an exam on a book I hadn't even read the first page of before I got into the exam... some courses just have easy first years.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    welcome to university. find me one university that isn't like that in the 1st year, and i'll be impressed.

:yes:

Tbh, I think getting a degree is more dependant on hard work, not on brainpower anyway. I got shit A levels, but am getting alright grades (now I get learner support). The first year is easy though.
  • Options
    I think most courses are structured in a way so that the first year attempts to put everyone on a level playing field rather than test them too much, preparing them for the second year. Which is why the majority of first years do not go towards your final grade :)

so think yourself lucky and try not to get to complacent, 'cos I'm sure it'll get harder next year and you dont want too much of a shock!
  • Options
    what course do you do?

1st year was a doddle for me. We were able to get exemptions for the June exams by getting over 60% in our January exams. I ended up having only one exam in June of first year. First year's even more lax in scotland though because every course is 4 years.
  • Options
    1st year is always a doddle. As has been said, it's there to put everyone on an even level before the 2nd year. I'm doing a degree that in the 1st year I was 1 of only 5 people who hadn't done the course at A-Level, I still found it a doddle and rarely turned up, coursework was done day before etc etc and I came out with a 1st from the 1st year. 2nd year was a different matter though and although I got a 2:2 I was lucky with how badly I did in some modules. Saying that though. i'm now finding the final year a doddle, although I think a lot of that is to do with my year out and having been working and doing most of my module topics there.

As long as you're still interested in the course that you're doing I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Options
    It gets harder!! The first year will be a piece of piss, only worry if you struggle through the first year.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    what course do you do?

First year's even more lax in scotland though because every course is 4 years.

I know someone doing Geology at Edinburgh and the first year is fucking solid.

I was aware that it will get harder for next year, in fact in a years time i'll proberly be back here with me tail between my legs complaining how hard my course is and wanting to quit!
  • Options
    Use this year to make sure you know things inside out, write each and every essay like it's one that counts towards your degree, get in as much background reading and research as possible thus giving you a really good basis for next year.
  • Options
    God, do I just do a hard course or something? I'm in my first year and it's certainly not easy. I've just about passed all my exams, but I didn't do it with flying colours on all of them by any means.

Everyone told me not to work in the first year because it's so easy, but it's anything but.

I didn't realise i was so in the minority.
  • Options
    It depends what course you do, some they ease you in, some they don't. My first year was easy compared with the 2nd and 3rd years where they really piled it on! Enjoy it while it lasts!!
  • Options
    You should come and do my course. I'm doing a multidisciplinary degree (Computing for medical and health sciences) and I am currently a first year. I have had 9 pieces of cwork to do in semester 1 and 16 pieces to do this semester. This semester I have about 5 that are also summative. I sat 6 exams the semester just gone and I also have 6 exams to sit this semester, one if which is in 4 weeks time.

The amount of work is unreal compared to other stories Ive heard really, I'm anticipating having no social life next year.
  • Options
    my first year was relatively hard too...

there are a LOT of doss courses out there, I think you can gain more self respect getting through by challenging yourself though.
  • Options
    I found my first year at UCL rather tough.
  • Options
    My first year was hell, I had so much work it was hard to believe they were being serious.

Different unis, different courses.
  • Options
    Yeah im at leeds uni doin microbiology, first year wasn't hard but it wasn't easy either. had an in course exam every week. just enjoy it while it lasts definately x