Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Out for a jog

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not fat - I never have been. I don't gain weight easily, I do eat crap but in moderation. I don't eat a lot but my apetites developing and I snack loads more at uni because the catered food is shoddy standard wise. My diet isn't the issue as much, as I do have more restraint despite some snacking.

I want to start running again. Last time I properly could run for an hour or more...was 2/3 years ago at secondary. I use to love running. I went out a good few months ago and was knackered within 15 minutes or so...my friend insisted on running for over an hour and I had to stop with stitches and tiredness and it threw me completely.

My main aim is to remain toned, in the thighs, bottom and tummy area. Will jogging/running help this? And also, I'd be game for getting an exercise video that makes me sweat to do in my uni room for a warm up or as an aid to keep me toned. Any recommendations? I haven't the confidence to swim often and running is something I could really commit myself to once I felt less of a failure. I can't afford a gym membership, but I do need some recommendations to kick start me.

I feel like it's gonna catch up on me, I'll start to get weight, be less toned...and that in itself terrifies me having lived my life as a stick insect. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Jogging will definitely help you to stay trim and fit. It won't specifically tone any muscle groups, but is an excellent form of exercise while your joints can take it.

How about a Mr Motivator video :p
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as toning a particular part of the body. People who have toned looking stomachs/thighs etc, simply have less overall fat on their bodies. Doing crunches doesn't tone your abs (though it may build them up, and therefore make them more prominant), for example, losing the fat around your stomach does. Actually doing crunches without any cardio can actually make your stomach look bigger, because whilst the fat remains, the muscles under it grow slightly larger and make you appear fatter. Unfortunately, you can't do any exercise to lose the fat from a particular area, your body chooses where the fat is needed most, and that it what will go last.

As for your question, I'm led to believe (and someone else might want to confirm this, because I'm not sure) that running first thing in the morning, before you've eaten anything burns of more fat, because you have no energy (calories) from food yet and your body is forced to use up its reserves (i.e. fat).
  • Options
    I'd say get your walkman out (or your iPod) and get walking to your favourite tunes! Easier than jogging, easier on your knees too! You could do that jog for one song, walk for one song technique that's supposed to burn more cals than just jogging alone and it gives you a chance to build up to full on jgging without getting sticth and having to quit. In fact, I'm gonna put my trainers on now and get away from the 'puter and outta the house. Good thinking, inspiration there malt monk
  • Options
    Jogging, walking, running, cycling. All can be done in your own time without paying.

Also at home, doing housework such as hoovering burns calories. IF you got some time to kill, run up and down the stairs.

If you exercise to some extent 5 times a week for about 30 mins, you will start to notice a difference.
    After a certain point this loss/improvement will decrease after the initial big loss. DO not be put off by this.

Even walking, if its a brisk walk, for 30-40 mins a day is good.

ALso look into doing some flexibility exercises, as this will help with you joint flexibility. B sure to do them properly or you could cause damage though.

Good luck!
  • Options
    according to the machines at my gym fast walking is good for losing fat and running for the heart
  • Options
    Walking is a good idea it's one of my favourite forms of exercise especially if you've got music on.