Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Virgin Media - Anyone using it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now that NTL is Virgin Media has things improved?

I'm considering moving to them for TV and Internet - any recommendations or horror stories?

Comments

• Options
    I've not noticed any difference as yet! NTL were always very good for us!
  • Options
    Not noticed any difference, only got broadband and I've never had any probs. (phone, that's a different fucking matter :mad: )
  • Options
    Got phone and Broadband with NTL now virgin media, only difference i have seen is to the colour of my invoices
  • Options
    I've noticed no different since the change. My internet plays up, but I think thats the box/router rather than the company.
  • Options
    We have phone/internet/tv.

Recerntly the connection to all except the phone has been sporadic. It took them 2 weeks to connect the digital tv.

Despite this i still think they're better than anyone else.
  • Options
    Service still the same old shit as before. I've found that it depends where you live as to how good your service is. When I was with the Derby branch, no problems .... but the Nottingham people are shite. Constant problems. It's bloody annoying. Having said that, it is only the tele. I should really get sky plus but there's no point me taking out a twelve month contract as I won't be here for the whole year.
  • Options
    Well we've been with Telewest aka NTL aka Virgin Media For a good few years.

Had no problems - only afew like broadband not working but im more experienced and know what to do if im not getting my lovely Net

TV The normal problems but nothing "OH MY GOD"

Phone - No problems

They are great but Dads considering changing to Sky because they might work out cheaper! anyone got sky?
  • Options
    Sky is definetly cheaper for TV, we have all the packages and its dirt cheap.

Use NTL(virgin media) for phone and internet because it is much better than BT and adsl
  • Options
    Gavman wrote: »
    Sky is definetly cheaper for TV, we have all the packages and its dirt cheap.

Use NTL(virgin media) for phone and internet because it is much better than BT and adsl

There doing that offer all 3 for £26! and up to 8mb broadband.
  • Options
    Sky broadband is very hit and miss and assuming you get a good service you have live pretty much opposite your local exchange to get near 8meg.

I am using N TL 10meg and despite living in a congested area for NTL I do get very good speeds (Only downside is the poor upload rates)

I am however thinking of getting a BT phone line to get free sky broadband installed on as a back up line
  • Options
    Not noticed any differences now that they're media instead of NTL.
  • Options
    I had Telewest TV/Phone/Net which is now Virgin media. Not noticed anything different. Pretty happy so far in general. Haven't had any problems with the net since I got it in September.

ETA: have Sky TV at home in Ireland, and it's definitely better than the Virgin media TV.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Im with Virgin Media, been with the for 3 years now. Only had one problem when my net was out for a week. Good service really although the customer service could be a little better. There has been no difference since the change but it is still early days yet, they probably have plans for an upgrade somewhere in the near future exceeding 10Mb, can't wait :hyper:
  • Options
    Gavman wrote: »
    Sky broadband is very hit and miss and assuming you get a good service you have live pretty much opposite your local exchange to get near 8meg.

Whats the average speed then?
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Service still the same old shit as before. I've found that it depends where you live as to how good your service is. When I was with the Derby branch, no problems .... but the Nottingham people are shite. Constant problems. It's bloody annoying. Having said that, it is only the tele. I should really get sky plus but there's no point me taking out a twelve month contract as I won't be here for the whole year.

Did you know you can change your settings to connect through a different proxy server ;). There's a guide to it on the internet, cos NTL are a bit patchy in some places.
  • Options
    Does anyone share their Broadband with Virgin Media on more then 1 PC?

Right now we have Plusnet with a wifi ADSL modem sharing the internet throughout the house, not sure how it would work on Cable. Main PC it would connect to has Ethernet port.

Would a simple switch be enough to share the internet or is there something that stops the internet being shared?
  • Options
    Does anyone share their Broadband with Virgin Media on more then 1 PC?

Right now we have Plusnet with a wifi ADSL modem sharing the internet throughout the house, not sure how it would work on Cable. Main PC it would connect to has Ethernet port.

Would a simple switch be enough to share the internet or is there something that stops the internet being shared?
    Well NTL provided us with a cable modem that goes into our switch and we have 8 compuers using a net connection and it works