Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

saying "I love you"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
p

Comments

• Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    How soon?

What if someone says it to you and you don't really feel in love with them (yet)?

How many people have you said it to?

I have said it to *thinks* 5 guys. But I only meant it with 2, who were long term relationshps.The others I was just caught up in a moment.

I dont think there is a required amount of time. If they say it on the second date then of course I would be wary but it's all subjective. If someone said it to me and I didn't feel that way (yet) then I would be flattered but I wouldn't say it back unless I meant it. Recently took the big step and luckily he felt the same way. It's a very scary thing to do.
  • Options
    I say it as and when I feel it. Although I am naughty and have said it to people before because they've said it to me and I didn't know what to do :(.

I have said it and meant it to two people, three if you count the time I thought I was in love but actually wasn't. I have said it to a total of...erm...6 people. I think. Maybe more, I don't know. Definitely 6 though.
  • Options
    I've said it to 1 man yet I've had 4 men say it to me :chin:
    The first time I said it I was drunk and I blurted it out in front of everyone in a chinese takeaway :lol:

If you don't feel the same then you shouldn't say it back. You should just say "well I don't feel like I'm there yet but I do have strong feelings for you" or something.
  • Options
    I've a really horrible habit of blurting it out during casual sex, which I really need to stop.

I've said it to four or so people properly, thought I've meant it at the time but it was probably just puppy love or something.
  • Options
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    How many people have you said it to?
    One, and I meant it, still do.

A guy said it to me once and I didnt know what to say so I opted to say "awwww". Not the best thing to say really.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    One, and I meant it, still do.

A guy said it to me once and I didnt know what to say so I opted to say "awwww". Not the best thing to say really.

Hahahahha :D
  • Options
    I've said it to 2 people and have had 4 people say it to me (3 were in a serious relationship with me - the other one was just obsessed with me).

I never said it in my first proper relationship even though he said it to me. I was terrified of saying it. I don't know if he actually meant it though looking back at how our relationship ended up. I think he said it to get me into bed after we had been together for a good few months :grump:

For me to say "I love you" is a really big deal. I always mean it too. I think its really unfair for people to say "I love you" when they don't actually mean it, whatever the circumstances.

I never say it first either, I'm silly like that. I'm always afraid the other person won't feel the same way and I'll scare them off.

I don't think theres a definate time to say whether you love someone or not. You should just say it when you feel the time is right.
  • Options
    I've said it once, to my current boyfriend. We were about 3 months into the relationship, both really slaughtered at my 16th birthday party.... slaughtered enough that he thought because I'd passed out that I was dying.

I'm pretty sure we would have said it for the first time (soberly) not long after though, if we hadn't gained our confidence from about 6 litres of Strongbow each :yuck: (I still can't drink it)

I think it's all depending on how open a person you are, though I'd never say it if I didn't mean it. My first boyfriend said it to me about a week before he broke up with me (so obviously THAT was a load of crap!) and I'm glad I didn't say it back.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ive never said it to anyone. Ive only been in 2 long term relationships, my last was 3 years and my current has been 6 months so far.
  • Options
    i have said it to girls in the sense of, loving them but not being in Love with them at all a few times.

But i have said it to one girl where i was in love with them and meant it that way.

There is no time limit, it is just how you feel, sometimes one will fall in love and the other won't or will take longer to realise it.
  • Options
    I've said it twice. Really, truly meant it both times... I'd never say it if I didn't.

I had a Dutch beau last year who used to say "I love you" all the time in his native speak -- thinking I wouldn't know what it meant. I think I largely ignored it/pretended I didn't hear him, or said thanks :blush:
  • Options
    ive said it to 3 people (apart from family) - all my long term relationships.

My boyfriend now said it to me before i said it to him, but i told him i wasnt going to say it till i was sure.
  • Options
    i've said it to one person. lots of times. bless me :)
  • Options
    i've said it twice. after growign up a little more i realized that i didnt mean it the first time. i thought i did at the time, but i was young and had no idea what it really was. which is kinda OK cause she didnt say it back lol. the other time went much better with her feeling the same way and we spent many happy years together!
  • Options
    I'm a freak and i actually can't say it to anyone. Possibly due to the amount of physically repulsive blokes that have said it to me, puts me right off.

You should just say it when it feels right.
  • Options
    I've said it to one person many times and meant it everytime.
  • Options
    I've said it to 2 people, have had 1 person say it back... after a year and a half, still waiting for the second person to say it back :p
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I've said it to one person many times and meant it everytime.

Same.
  • Options
    ive said it to one girl and meant it.. i havent said it to my current gf and wont until i do.. i think its really wrong for someone to say it if they dont mean it
  • Options
    Ive only ever said it to my current boyfriend even though he isnt the longest relationship ive ever had i knew right from the start that i could fall in love with him and then after a couple of months he told me he loved me then a few weeks after i told him i loved him but i waited until i was sure before i told him i didnt just say it to him because he said it to me
  • Options
    Just to my current girlfriend. I think it took me about 6 months. After initially being very happy she decided she was pissed off at me for taking so long to say it. You fickle creatures!
  • Options
    My boyfriend now said it to me before i said it to him, but i told him i wasnt going to say it till i was sure.

Same here... luckily I found the right time to say it back to him and we are getting married next Saturday :D
  • Options
    i've never said it to anyone (in a boyfriend/girlfriend sense i mean). and i haven't had it said to me either! but i have only had one proper relationship. :p

i don't think i'm really a quick to fall in love kinda person. with my ex we'd been going out a few weeks and i thought i did but something he said to me about one of his exes made me wake up and realise i didn't (not in a nasty way!) - it was just all sorts of feelings going around in my head and i was really happy etc. :)
  • Options
    I've said it to 4 guys. Meant it each time. I think the first 3 are absolute nob heads now. I think its wrong to say it and not mean it. My current boyfriend said it after 2 months but it was well worth waiting for cos I had to be sure myself.
  • Options
    I've never said it. A couple of boyfriends have said it to me but I don't know how serious they were really.
  • Options
    With my first girlfriend I couldn't control myself and blurted it out without meaning it after 2 weeks. Needless to say, that ended shortly afterwards.

With my current girlfriend I held off until she said it, which was at around 8 months. This impressed me even more since I was her first boyfriend. That was two years ago and I don't think she nor I meant it when we said it back then, but I certainly mean it when I tell her now.

So she's the only person I've been with, said it to and really felt and meant it.