Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why Is Steve Mclaren England Manager

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Without going through all the points I pretty much agree with Kermit about Sven!!

I agree with Addict about SWP, I've always said it about him though, he seems to just stumble through all the time, when hes gets passed a man its usually by a lucky bobble of his shin. Saying that though the poor lad hasn't played much at all and when your not playing it can't be easy to come into an England side, but he only has himself to blame for joining Chelsea.

Crouch was very hard done by in this game, I like him as a player but he isn't a front man, hes a man for the hole, he does need someone in front of him on the last line of defence. Remember him and Owen combining? we looked good!! He shouldn't play with Rooney, it should be one or the other in my eyes and obviously when Rooneys fit is gotta be the Roon. God knows why we didn't start with Crouch and Defoe??? Although Dyer did ok in parts, like i've said Crouch isn't a last line of defence front man.

Right then.... Full team, no Injuries lets see how everyones starting 11 differs..... mine is basic 4-4-2 (keep it simple)

GK - Robbo
    RB - G.Neville (Micah Richards for the future but think Nevilles probably playing some of the best football of his career at the moment cos I haven't always being a fan)
    CB - Woodgate (if he stays fit)
    CB - Terry or Ferdinand?? Its a toughy with both having different qualities
    LB - Ashley Cole
    RM - Aaron Lennon
    CM - Owen Hargreaves
    CM - Gerrard
    LM - Joe Cole
    CF - Rooney
    CF - Owen
  • Options
    Dyer isn't a striker and trying to play him as one is ridiculous. Crouch is a target man but he's shite when a) you play him up top alone and b) you just hoof it to him for 90 minutes. Lampard is a waste of space in an England shirt, and has been for over two years now. It's no wonder SWP was so shite, coming from reserves football, but it serves him right for moving to Chelsea.
  • Options

Right then.... Full team, no Injuries lets see how everyones starting 11 differs..... mine is basic 4-4-2 (keep it simple)

GK - Robbo
    RB - G.Neville (Micah Richards for the future but think Nevilles probably playing some of the best football of his career at the moment cos I haven't always being a fan)
    CB - Woodgate (if he stays fit)
    CB - Terry or Ferdinand?? Its a toughy with both having different qualities
    LB - Ashley Cole
    RM - Aaron Lennon
    CM - Owen Hargreaves
    CM - Gerrard
    LM - Joe Cole
    CF - Rooney
    CF - Owen

I think you've got midfield and strikers spot on. I'd stick with Terry and Ferdinand at centre back though. I don't think McClaren would ever drop his captain and Ferdinand is the best defender England have IMO. Woodgate impresses most of the time, but I've also seen him have shockers. He was at fault for the goal the other night as well.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the goalkeeper, either. I don't see him dropping Robinson but I don't think he's that good; it was nice to see Foster have a run-out and do well, though. It's a shame that he's unlikely to get a first-team chance at his own club for a while, though.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    I think you've got midfield and strikers spot on. I'd stick with Terry and Ferdinand at centre back though. I don't think McClaren would ever drop his captain and Ferdinand is the best defender England have IMO. Woodgate impresses most of the time, but I've also seen him have shockers. He was at fault for the goal the other night as well.
    Dis-agree totally about Ferdinand, he isn't a patch on Woodgate. Woodgate when fit is definately the better defender out of the two, without a shadow of a doubt IMO. He's got better ability, is just as quick, reads the game better and doesn't suffer the lacks of concentration that Ferdinand does. I doubt he'll drop Terry but the pace of Woodgate and Ferdinand together means we don't have to drop off so deep which I think is much better!
  • Options
    Ferdinand's like the David James of defenders. Just when you're convinced that he's the best in the world, he has a cock up that ruins it.

I'd agree with that team, but with Carrick instead of Hargreaves depending on the opposition. And I reckon that Lennon will be keeping the seat warm for Walcott long term (I see Joe Cole and Aaron Lennon in more attacking roles without a rigid position, like Ronaldo and Giggs for Man Utd). If he carries on improving, Bentley would also be an option in that role at some point. Owen is obviously still first choice striker, but I also reckon Johnson and Bent should be given a chance to take that title off him. With Dean Ashton or Peter Crouch on the bench for a bit of variety.
  • Options
    I reckon England should just realise the fact that they're nowhere near as good as they or their fans think. No point having the best players in the world if they can't play together.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I reckon England should just realise the fact that they're nowhere near as good as they or their fans think. No point having the best players in the world if they can't play together.

No-one with half a brain thinks that England are a good team, but we have some of the best players in the world to choose from, so we feel a bit cheated when we don't perform like one of the best teams in the world. That can only be down to the staff that's managing them (that's all of the backroom staff, the FA and everyone else involved, not just the manager).
  • Options
    Ferdinand's like the David James of defenders. Just when you're convinced that he's the best in the world, he has a cock up that ruins it.

Bit harsh. I can't think of one time Ferdinand has fucked up this season. Remind me if I'm wrong though. He's been more or less imperious all season. In recent years, the only time Ferdinand has looked in any way shakey to me is when he had no midfield in front of him last season, or when he was partnered by some donkey like Silvestre. Defence is all about partnerships and if you put Vidic beside him, he's almost the perfect defence leader.
  • Options
    Bit harsh. I can't think of one time Ferdinand has fucked up this season. Remind me if I'm wrong though. He's been more or less imperious all season. In recent years, the only time Ferdinand has looked in any way shakey to me is when he had no midfield in front of him last season, or when he was partnered by some donkey like Silvestre. Defence is all about partnerships and if you put Vidic beside him, he's almost the perfect defence leader.

Only Vidic is a better defender and will replace Ferdinand soon enough as the leader of the defence, no?
  • Options
    We're talking about England though here mate, I think you shoud get picked for England on your performances for your club but IMO if you keep performing for England even if your club form dips then you should remain in the side and vice versa.
    People having a go at Robbo cos hes known for the odd cock-up, only 1 I can remember in an England shirt is the bobble over his foot which IMO wasn't his fault!! Since then Robbo has being vilified by the press, IMHO Ferdinand has being let off lightly over the last few years with regards to his England performances, his lack of concentration has being seen quite a few times, although I'll struggle at this time in the morning to name specifics!!
    Same with Lampard, his club form is magnificent but this IMO shouldn't keep him in the England team when he's not performing in it!!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote: »
    Only Vidic is a better defender and will replace Ferdinand soon enough as the leader of the defence, no?

As far as I can see Ferdinand controls the D-line and is the most vocal. He's the brains and Vidic is the brawn. Ferdinand will probably be United captain within a few years.
    We're talking about England though here mate, I think you shoud get picked for England on your performances for your club but IMO if you keep performing for England even if your club form dips then you should remain in the side and vice versa.

OK, I see your point, but even on current form for England Ferdinand is streets ahead of anyone. If you were going to accomodate Woodgate on the basis of form, Terry would have to give way IMO. And yes, Lampard should definitely be dropped because his international form isn't good enough. I don't think it's any coincidence that England haven't won since Hargreaves broke his leg.
  • Options
    I don't think it's any coincidence that England haven't won since Hargreaves broke his leg.
    Fucking typical of England though. Every now and again, a new player comes along who performs brilliantly individually, and suddenly they get injured and we can't win without them. All because in recent times, England have relied entirely on individual performances to win games, be it Rooney, Joe Cole, Lampard with a great strike, Aaron Lennon. Maybe if we had a good team, that played well together, we'd have no problem performing with a couple of players out. You don't see Man Utd struggling to perform if Rooney or Ronaldo happen to be out, or Liverpool failing to perform without Gerrard. England fail to perform with these players and almost entirely rely on individuals having a great game in my opinion.
  • Options
    OK, I see your point, but even on current form for England Ferdinand is streets ahead of anyone. If you were going to accomodate Woodgate on the basis of form, Terry would have to give way IMO. And yes, Lampard should definitely be dropped because his international form isn't good enough. I don't think it's any coincidence that England haven't won since Hargreaves broke his leg.
    Current form I could maybe agree but like I said earlier I think Ferdinand has had a pretty easy ride with the press, when there has being opportunity for him to be vilified (which is what the English press is best at)!! But yes I also agree about Woody instead of Terry which I think my first post stated but like said earlier "would he drop his captain??". Ferdy and Woody together would be immense for England and that pace at the back would make the way we play a lot better IMO!!
  • Options
    People having a go at Robbo cos hes known for the odd cock-up, only 1 I can remember in an England shirt is the bobble over his foot which IMO wasn't his fault!! Since then Robbo has being vilified by the press, IMHO Ferdinand has being let off lightly over the last few years with regards to his England performances, his lack of concentration has being seen quite a few times, although I'll struggle at this time in the morning to name specifics!!
    Same with Lampard, his club form is magnificent but this IMO shouldn't keep him in the England team when he's not performing in it!!

Robinson isn't that good. He doesn't command his penalty area, he rarely comes out and catches crosses or claims the ball.

England's biggest problem I have found has been a lack of confidence when playing against a big name team, particularly if they go 1-0 up when they seem to defend far too deep, i.e. they can't actually hold on to the ball instead hoofing it up the field only for it to come back to their box within a minute. When was the last time you ever saw Arsenal play that way when a goal ahead? (Well ok maybe in the CL final last year against Barcelona when down to 10-men).
  • Options
    Robinson isn't that good. He doesn't command his penalty area, he rarely comes out and catches crosses or claims the ball.

Indeed he's not, but who else do we have?
  • Options
    Liverpool failing to perform without Gerrard.

You sure about that?

Robinson is alright but he's nowt special. There isn't anyone else with the top-flight experience, although Man Utd's Foster is a good keeper, I can't see him getting the first team experience because of van der Sar.
  • Options
    Neither can fergie, which is why he's sent him out on loan for two seasons.