Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recognising disablism

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Putting someone in a wheelchair into Big Brother just because they're disabled smacks of tokenism.

Absolutely!

I'd sooner never see a wheelchair user in the BB house than see one simply because of some misguided notion that in the world of "entertainment" (loosest sense) everyone needs to be fairly represented and accounted for, and all must be PC.

Does anyone actually have any figures relating to the amount of disabled applicants for BB, then? I thought maybe there would be very few, anyway, either because they have more sense than to make themselves and their disability fair game for every ignoramus in the country... or because they didn't want to be "token" a la South Park.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    i disagree

e.g. jade goody....not exactly a sex pot is she? nor was kinga, george halloway, nick, nadia, elizabeth, bubble....etc

Not sure about half who you're on about... But there have been celebrity Big Brothers, I mean more about the ones who are on it normally... And maybe you don't find them attractive, but they're hardly unattractive. Of all the times I've seen it, there's never been a big person on their either.

(And for the record, Nadia was pretty)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    there's never been a big person on their either.

alison?

and only one of those i mentioned were celebs...the rest were "normal" people

:)
  • Options
    Which is why everybody who enters the Big Brother house happens to be somewhat attractive? :chin:

Jack Dee
    Claire Sweeney
    Keith Duffy
    Anthea Turner
    Vanessa Feltz
    Chris Eubank
    Mark Owen
    Les Dennis
    Melinda Messenger
    Sue Perkins
    Anne Diamond
    Goldie
    Bez
    Kenzie
    Brigitte Nielsen
    Jeremy Edwards
    Caprice
    Lisa I'Anson
    John McCririck
    Germaine Greer
    Chantelle Houghton
    Michael Barrymore
    Maggot
    Samuel Preston
    Pete Burns
    Traci Bingham
    Dennis Rodman
    George Galloway
    Rula Lenska
    Faria Alam
    Jodie Marsh
    Jermaine Jackson
    Danielle Lloyd
    Ken Russell
    Jo O'Meara
    Leo Sayer
    Shilpa Shetty
    Carole Malone
    Donny Tourette
    Ian "H" Watkins
    Cleo Rocos
    Dirk Benedict
    Jade Goody
    Jack Tweed
    Jackiey Budden

There's about 4 lookers among them. I would mention the normal contestants too, but no-one will remember who they are. But whenever I see the line up, personally I usually consider only a couple of them to be really attractive.
  • Options
    Jack Dee
    Claire Sweeney
    Keith Duffy
    Anthea Turner
    Vanessa Feltz
    Chris Eubank
    Mark Owen
    Les Dennis
    Melinda Messenger
    Sue Perkins
    Anne Diamond
    Goldie
    Bez
    Kenzie
    Brigitte Nielsen
    Jeremy Edwards
    Caprice
    Lisa I'Anson
    John McCririck
    Germaine Greer
    Chantelle Houghton
    Michael Barrymore
    Maggot
    Samuel Preston
    Pete Burns
    Traci Bingham
    Dennis Rodman
    George Galloway
    Rula Lenska
    Faria Alam
    Jodie Marsh
    Jermaine Jackson
    Danielle Lloyd
    Ken Russell
    Jo O'Meara
    Leo Sayer
    Shilpa Shetty
    Carole Malone
    Donny Tourette
    Ian "H" Watkins
    Cleo Rocos
    Dirk Benedict
    Jade Goody
    Jack Tweed
    Jackiey Budden

There's about 4 lookers among them. I would mention the normal contestants too, but no-one will remember who they are. But whenever I see the line up, personally I usually consider only a couple of them to be really attractive.

So you fancy a few of them? And the others are "ugly"?

Different strokes for different folks... Personally from what I've seen there has never been an obese person on Big Brother (by which I mean a size 20+), or somebody with huge ears and seriously wierd teeth.

I've never seen an unattractive person on there.
  • Options
    I would say that to state that Big Brother has never had "disabled" housemates is using a very narrow minded definition of disability.

Not all disability is physical or visible. When they included housemates with mental health problems they got really critised for it yet many mental health problems can be considered a disability.

Also, Jackiey had a hand that was severely damaged which could be considered a disability as well.
  • Options
    Is Tourette's not considered a disability these days?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I would say that to state that Big Brother has never had "disabled" housemates is using a very narrow minded definition of disability.

Not all disability is physical or visible. When they included housemates with mental health problems they got really critised for it yet many mental health problems can be considered a disability.

Also, Jackiey had a hand that was severely damaged which could be considered a disability as well.

I remember a few years ago I looked at the application form for Big Brother and it said how you weren't allowed on if you had a history of mental illness... This seems to have changed.

The questio is, are they exploiting mental illness or hidden disabilities (e.g. Pete) for fun, or putting a positive message accross?
  • Options
    Personally from what I've seen there has never been an obese person on Big Brother (by which I mean a size 20.

again.....alison
  • Options
    I remember a few years ago I looked at the application form for Big Brother and it said how you weren't allowed on if you had a history of mental illness... This seems to have changed.

The questio is, are they exploiting mental illness or hidden disabilities (e.g. Pete) for fun, or putting a positive message accross?

I remember back in the day when they screened the contestants loads I was still at school and was secretly disaapointed by the fact I thought I'd never get in the BB house as I wouldn't pass their pyschological testing.

There was a thesite rant on the issue of exploting mental illness at the time of BB7 which is worth a read.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    again.....alison

Got a pic?
  • Options
    So you fancy a few of them? And the others are "ugly"?
    Don't put words in my mouth. I think that the list has a huge variety of different looking people. But I also think that you haven't come up with a single reason to back up your theory that all of the contestents are picked based mainly on looks.
  • Options
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I remember back in the day when they screened the contestants loads I was still at school and was secretly disaapointed by the fact I thought I'd never get in the BB house as I wouldn't pass their pyschological testing.

There was a thesite rant on the issue of exploting mental illness at the time of BB7 which is worth a read.

I guess with mental illness, it's alot to do with whether you'd be able to cope with the stuff you may end up doing?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I guess with mental illness, it's alot to do with whether you'd be able to cope with the stuff you may end up doing?

Yeah if someone had a violent mental health history or if being in confinement was likely to put someone into a full blown nervous breakdown it would probably come back to bite them in the ass.
  • Options