Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dictator Chavez?

The 'populist' leader of Venezuela, now can rule be decree for the next 18 months, is this their version of the Enabling Act of early Nazi Germany?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6315819.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also bought loads of new weapons with his oil revenue. Probably scared of a coup.
  • Options
    Seems like his just trying to do whats best for Venezuela
  • Options
    Dictator? Not quite.

This is actually the third time Chavez has received such authorization during his presidency and Chavez is the fifth Venezuelan president to take advantage of this power, which both the 1961 and the 1999 constitutions permit.

The majority of legislators discussed in depth how they trusted Chavez to pass laws that would increase democracy in Venezuela and the need to act rapidly because this is what the Venezuelan people are expecting.

'We in the National Assembly do not vacillate in giving the president the enabling law to legislate. The laws that Hugo Chavez will decree are laws destined to satisfy the immense majority of Venezuelans.'

When asked by international media if this decree signified a movement towards aggressive dictatorship, Venezuela's Vice-President, Jorge Rodriguez, posed a question of his own..."What kind of a dictatorship is this?" The enabling law "only serves to sow democracy and peace."

The last time Chavez was granted an enabling law was in the year 2000.

Did the shit hit the fan then?
    So why then now?
  • Options
    *Patiently awaits Aladdin's hagiographical defence of Chavez*
  • Options
    Well Dis if I were you I would simply be using that honoured trick of saying it's not of my business to comment on other countries' internal affairs. :D

This is a worrying move. However Chavez appears to count with the support of the immense majority of his people.

The man is by no means a saint but it is still disgusting that a certain nation keeps ceaselessly trying to overthrow him by any means necessary, no matter how illegal or dirty.

Seeing as they have tried numerous times to impose regime change in Venezuela it is possible he has genuine concerns of yet another US-sponsored coup d' etat. Then again he might just be becoming more power-hungry as time passes and starting to see himself as some kind of emperor.

In either case he's still far more preferable than the odious regime a few thousand miles to the north.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In either case he's still far more preferable than the odious regime a few thousand miles to the north.

What's wrong with Canada? They're all hippies and goths! :D
  • Options
    This is a worrying move. However Chavez appears to count with the support of the immense majority of his people.

Indeed, but many regiemes have been popular with the majority by punishing the minority.

With the oil prices the way they are its boom time for the country, I just hope the money gets put to good use, and the economy isnt managed too tightly from the centre.
  • Options

Why?

The US is one of the most free countries on earth, more so than Venezuela I would hazard.

if it was Venezuela that was the superpower and the US the relatively small country I dread to think what woe that a man like chavez would impose on the world.....
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What's wrong with Canada? They're all hippies and goths! :D

and that's why we got to nuke'em!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    Why?

The US is one of the most free countries on earth, more so than Venezuela I would hazard.
    I don't think the average US citizen is any freer than the average Venezuelan... hell, at least the latter are not banned from visiting certain countries or import their products under penalty of imprisoment.

But there is a lot more to a regime than whether it is a democracy isn't it? The US government might not be odious to some of its citizens, but sure as hell it is to no fewer than several billion people around the world for various reasons ranging from warmongering and unwarranted attacks to political interference to pollution. Not since the darkest days of WWII there has been a regime that has generated so much hatred and despair.
    if it was Venezuela that was the superpower and the US the relatively small country I dread to think what woe that a man like chavez would impose on the world.....
    I wouldn't want to see Chavez with too much power either. I don't think he'd be worse than your average Republican US President though... certainly not worse than the chimp.
  • Options
    The US is one of the most free countries on earth,

Only if you have money.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Only if you have money.

Yeah, cos the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights only apply to the rich. :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah, cos the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights only apply to the rich. :confused: :rolleyes:

Come on Dis, you're not that thick.
  • Options

They do if you have to fight your cause in the courts.
  • Options
    Only if you have money.

yeah, yeah, yeah: Positive and negative freedoms and all that but seeing as the US has more rich people than anywhere else they probably have more positive freedoms than anywhere else as well......
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    They do if you have to fight your cause in the courts.

Ever heard of public defenders? Or the ACLU?
  • Options

Maybe you are forgetting , as George W Bush so correctly points out, "that`s just a goddamn piece of paper" ?
  • Options
    yeah, yeah, yeah: Positive and negative freedoms and all that but seeing as the US has more rich people than anywhere else they probably have more positive freedoms than anywhere else as well......

No, I wasn't even thinking about +ve Vs -ve freedoms. I was thinking about the response to Hurricane Katrina actually.
  • Options
    Ever heard of public defenders? Or the ACLU?

Come on dis, you're not that thick.

Or maybe you are? :confused:
  • Options
    I was thinking about the response to Hurricane Katrina actually.

What about it?
  • Options
    Ever heard of public defenders?

Have you been defended by a public defender? Would you want to be? Justice is most certainly for those who can afford it in the US, and will be here soon too.
  • Options
    What about it?

Do you really need it spelling out to you? That the response to the poor inhabitants of New Orleans was very different to the rich?
  • Options
    Have you been defended by a public defender? Would you want to be? Justice is most certainly for those who can afford it in the US, and will be here soon too.

Already is.
  • Options

I can't say that I've ever needed to be defended by a public defender. Although, I do know one in Chicago. She went to a good law school and if I was in trouble in Illinois I'd be happy calling her. If you're saying that public defenders are crap and that because it pays less than working for a law firm it only attracts useless people you're talking bollocks. Admittedly it varies between different states - anyway it's the untrue idea that justice is 'only for those who can afford it' that I oppose.
  • Options
    Yes, well, you are rather out of touch with reality.
  • Options
    Do you really need it spelling out to you? That the response to the poor inhabitants of New Orleans was very different to the rich?

Poor communication between the state and federal government and downright incompetence are slightly more accurate explanations.
  • Options
    Poor communication between the state and federal government and downright incompetence are slightly more accurate explanations.

As I said, you are rather out of touch with reality.

Watch the Spike Lee film about it.

*awaits the predictable slagging off of Spike Lee* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I can't say that I've ever needed to be defended by a public defender. Although, I do know one in Chicago. She went to a good law school and if I was in trouble in Illinois I'd be happy calling her. If you're saying that public defenders are crap and that because it pays less than working for a law firm it only attracts useless people you're talking bollocks. Admittedly it varies between different states - anyway it's the untrue idea that justice is 'only for those who can afford it' that I oppose.

Of course, there are diamonds in the rough, but in large part the conditions they have to work under and the pay means that public defenders are largely only those who cant get jobs elsewhere.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

The rich are still a minority.

The US punishes the majority of poorer people by making them pay what the rich don't. It is completley unfair - but, I suppose, that's how capitalism works. Reward those who are a sucess, or had sucessful parents, regardless of morals... and punish those who tried and failed, or were just so low down they had no choice but to join the army.

Anyway, back on topic NOW!

Chavez isn't the first to do this, nor is it the first time. He does so with popular support only for 18 months - and who cares if he takes dictatorial power? He'd be a popular South American dictator for a change - not one instated by the USA of the Fascist kind!

He is a good leader, and takes actions that benefit people, with thier suport. He is doing a very good job.

I hope he does well, and the US don't kill/overthrow/murder/attack him.
  • Options
    Viva "Chavezstro!!" Long may he resist the "jackboot" from the north!:thumb: