Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Idea for a Prize!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well seeing as im off with tonsoliatieseses (how ever you spell it)

I've had alot of free time on my hands and sitting around not doing much.

So i was thinking i wonder if thesite.org should do a prize thing everymonth for the most active user, in each of the Sub forums.

For example

Relationships - JimV

Health - Helen

Net & Tech - Shyboy

Those people would get a prize ect ect

Just an idea?

Comments

• Options
    nah you'll just get people posting crap to boost their post count, seen it happen before.

ETA: like that post a number thread thing that was the stupidest thing since ever.
  • Options
    Was a thought.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Was a thought.

keep thinking.

you should be here discussion, not for prizes :thumb:
  • Options
    we are! this is a

discussion of my thoughts:yes:
  • Options
    Actually we actively don't do any competitions like this, or any real rewards for long term membership because of why thesite is here and the reason the charity exsists.

The idea of the boards, and TheSite as a whole is in the first case to provide immediate help to those in need, no matter if they've only just stumbled upon TheSite.

New users are as welcome, and as respected as everyone else, so we don't have areas just for long term members, sections where people HAVE to say hello before posting elsewhere, or search restricted to only registered users, or any of the other suggestions that have come up over the years.

And ultimately people should post because they want to, not because they want to increase their numbers, something this would probably encourage.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    ETA: like that post a number thread thing that was the stupidest thing since ever.

I was meant to be revising for my university finals when that thread was up and found it really useful as a procrastination aid!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I was meant to be revising for my university finals when that thread was up and found it really useful as a procrastination aid!

explain to meee, what was it all about?
  • Options
    ashlee wrote: »
    explain to meee, what was it all about?

It was just the most pointless ever thread where you had to count. It started with 1, the next poster had to post 2, the next 3 etc. It got up to some pretty high numbers but then Jim deleted it because it was mostly just being used to give people artificially high post counts, a few members had made over a thousand posts in that thread!
  • Options
    wow! Think Jim would mind if we did it again :P
  • Options
    In short..........yes
  • Options
    ah, a forum i used to frequent had a thread like that. it was god awefully stupid, to be honest. all it was was a chance to up your post count so you can look like a "vet" and cool people "n00b". some sort of superiority complex i suppose.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    It was just the most pointless ever thread where you had to count. It started with 1, the next poster had to post 2, the next 3 etc. It got up to some pretty high numbers but then Jim deleted it because it was mostly just being used to give people artificially high post counts, a few members had made over a thousand posts in that thread!

I liked that thread, I only lost a few posts when it got deleted. I remember Gerbil starting a thread he had 10,000 posts and then the posting thread got deleted. :lol:
  • Options
    I liked that thread, I only lost a few posts when it got deleted. I remember Gerbil starting a thread he had 10,000 posts and then the posting thread got deleted. :lol:

honestly tho, what was there to like about it?
  • Options

Blatent post-whoring. And the fact it wound quite a few members up. It was just a thread, if you didnt like you didnt have to go near it.
  • Options
    Blatent post-whoring. And the fact it wound quite a few members up. It was just a thread, if you didnt like you didnt have to go near it.

dont worry, i stayed well away.

maybe i missed something, i just didnt get it.

counting on your fingers and toes would be so much easier and probably much more fun.
  • Options
    i agree... people will just start posting nonsense. however, it would be nice to get a prize :)
  • Options
    do the surveys and stuff, there always plenty of prizes going round!

im in a grumpy mood today
  • Options
    it was kind of similar to the ANTS thread from a few years back

that one did make a few come backs as well
  • Options

Seriously, when it was a choice between that or write my dissertation and revise for my university finals the counting game was very appealing.

When it was first removed I was going to ask Jim if we could keep doing it but make the posts in that thread not count towards post count but then I thought they would think I was really sad.