Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gay Sheep

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Even my best mate who's gay, hates queens!

I think most gay people hate queens !
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I think most gay people hate queens !
    I just wonder who was the first ever queen and how did it all start?!
  • Options
    Surely the main issue is that your Christian Union is a bigot club? They harbour offensively-archaic views which really aren’t acceptable in a modern, thinking society. The fact that they’re not sensitive about their institutionalised ignorance seems by-the-by to me.
    It's a 2-way thing. I happen to agree with you; I don't think that being gay (or, to be really pedantic, acting on it) is sinful.

However, some people do manage to believe that being gay is a sin and still act in a loving way towards gay people. I think that was Fiend's point.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I can't tell with everyone, but I can with most. Dunno how. Gaydar I think its called...even though I'm straight!
    I would say I am normally about 80% right, although I have a friend, one of the most beautiful and sweetest people you could ever meet and I originally thought that she was with another male friend of mine. Turns out she's as bent as a butcher's hook, but pretty girly.

In general I think a lot of gay men tend to be more "feminine", although you do get the "bears". Normally you can tell by their voice, but again the people who are most open with it play on it quite a bit.

The short hair "dyke" look is a tell tale sign in women, although I know women with short hair who are straight. I think if you talk music with somebody, you can sometimes tell their orientation, but that's a big fat stereotype... There are straight women who listen to Ani Difranco, Melissa Etheridge and Missy Higgins! A lot of gay women can be femme, but slightly tomboyish. Saying that, them gays come in all shapes and sizes. ;)

Bloody gays!
    Surely the main issue is that your Christian Union is a bigot club? They harbour offensively-archaic views which really aren’t acceptable in a modern, thinking society. The fact that they’re not sensitive about their institutionalised ignorance seems by-the-by to me.
    I think it depends, I've met gay and bisexual Christians (copped off with one or two) and some Christian denominations do accept homosexuality.

Christians come in all shapes and sizes, just like them gay types.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    It's a 2-way thing. I happen to agree with you; I don't think that being gay (or, to be really pedantic, acting on it) is sinful.

However, some people do manage to believe that being gay is a sin and still act in a loving way towards gay people. I think that was Fiend's point.

Any rational person knows that sin is nothing more than a complete nonsense; a concept based on antiquated social stigmas and superstitions, turned into religious doctrine by the greatest works of fiction ever written.

The thought that someone’s sexual preference can earn them a one-way ticket to the ridiculous and arbitrary locations of heaven and hell, is at best amusing, and at worst deeply offensive.

I don’t generally have problems with religion, but when its obvious bigotry spills over into the lives of thinking people, casting aspersions on non-members who have decided the cessation of critical and rational thought isn’t the way to go, then it becomes an issue.

Even working within the fairly-tale world of sin, for homosexuality to be a sin it would need to be a choice, and anyone that thinks homosexuality is a choice, is clearly deluded. I also don’t buy the bollocks that being gay is fine in theory, as long as you don’t put it into practice either. That’s just pulling a thin veil over bigoted and non-thinking views.
  • Options
    Christians come in all shapes and sizes, just like them gay types.
    True, that. My church is predominantly LGBT, for example. CptCoatHanger, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the religion thing!