Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cooking oil instead of petrol?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dads girlfriend is giving me her old car when i pass my driving test because she's getting a new one. Anyway it's an old diesel engine (no catalytic convertor) and i've heard you can run them off cooking oil rather than diesel - is it true?

Comments

• Options
    Only extra virgin olive oil.
  • Options
    "Many vegetable oils have similar fuel properties to Diesel fuel, except for higher viscosity and lower oxidative stability. If these differences can be overcome, vegetable oil may substitute for #2 Diesel fuel, most significantly as engine fuel or home heating oil."

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_vegetable_oil.

I guess it's possible then... Still think it'll damage your engine.

ETA: Apparently not, people have been experimenting for years. I'm sure there's a guide on the net somewhere.
  • Options
    Does that mean you can cook in diesel?
  • Options
    You could make chips as you drive :D
  • Options
    Does that mean you can cook in diesel?

You mean you've never had diesel chips? Divine.
  • Options
    Do't you add a big of sugar and some bicarb of soda? Or is that bullshit? I'd just run it off diesel, it gets good enough fuel economy anyway!

How are you getting a car already and you're two years younger than me :(
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    How are you getting a car already and you're two years younger than me :(

You could buy one.
  • Options
    You could buy one.

Not much point seeing as I don't have a driving licence :p
  • Options
    Well they use vegetable oil as part of biofuel, so there must be some truth in it somewhere.
  • Options
    yeah, and they make burnable methangas out of cowshit. So why just not shovel cow shit in your tank...

If you love you car, you wouldn't pour vegetable oil in it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Not much point seeing as I don't have a driving licence :p

Learn, then!
  • Options
    Learn, then!

Should be starting lessons this week :)
  • Options
    I haven't even started my lessons yet. The only reason i'm getting it is because it's old and she wants a new one. I need to get the money together first before i can start learning - so it'll be a while before i get it.
    My dad says a guy at work does it, and you can also mix it with diesel - so you save some money. I'm not sure though, i don't want to ruin it.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    yeah, and they make burnable methangas out of cowshit. So why just not shovel cow shit in your tank...
    Didn't they do that on Top Gear once.

I wonder if all cars ran on sunflower oil if the country would end up smelling like a greasy spoon or a chippie. Us Brits would have an even better reputation then!!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I haven't even started my lessons yet. The only reason i'm getting it is because it's old and she wants a new one. I need to get the money together first before i can start learning - so it'll be a while before i get it.
    My dad says a guy at work does it, and you can also mix it with diesel - so you save some money. I'm not sure though, i don't want to ruin it.

Isn't that biodiesel? Cars can run on that.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Isn't that biodiesel? Cars can run on that.
    nope, aparrantly he just buys cooking oil and pours it in

isn't biodiesel that environmentally friendly stuff that's even more expensive?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    nope, aparrantly he just buys cooking oil and pours it in

isn't biodiesel that environmentally friendly stuff that's even more expensive?

Yes but biodiesel is effectively vegetable oil, and diesel (amongst other things).
  • Options
    Just buy normal diesel, you skinflint.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/vegoil.htm

;)
    An ordinary diesel engine cannot run on 100% pure vegetable oil without conversion. Veg oil is too thick and gloopy to get through the fuel pump and injectors. Conversion is moderately expensive and is quite a commitment, so we'll leave that to the experts.
    Instead, we'll try to thin down the veg oil so that it works correctly in the engine. There are two ways to do this: mix it with something, or convert it into biodiesel.

Making biodiesel is a fair old job of bucket chemistry. There are easy how-to's on the web but you need a shed and some spare time.

It's far easier to mix the veg oil with something that will make it runnier. And we have just the thing to hand: regular diesel. Just mix your veg oil into your diesel, and you have a working blend. How?

Just bung it in the fuel tank.

Yes, it's that easy. And yes, it feels really weird putting food into your car for the first time! But it works, and works well.

The easiest way to do this is to run your tank almost empty. Then when you pop to the supermarket, fill up with diesel, and then add the veg oil. The drive home mixes it all up nicely.

How much veg oil should you use? Start with a light blend, and increase each time you refill. That way, if you notice your car sputtering, you know you've hit the limit and should use less next time, and you can top up with regular diesel to thin the mixture back down.

A 10% veg oil blend will work for everyone. It meets your personal part of our Kyoto commitment, and there should be no noticeable difference in how your car drives. 27 litres of diesel and one three-litre bottle of veg oil from the supermarket.

At 25% veg oil in 75% diesel, your exhaust stops smelling like a taxi and starts smelling like a doughnut fryer. It's pleasant and a real talking point. You should notice the slight smoothness improvement around now.

33% - one part veg to two parts regular diesel - is the heaviest mix I would recommend for the British winter, unless you've got a frost-free garage. This level of blend still starts even on cold, frosty mornings.

50% is a good running blend for the rest of the year. Half-and-half is where the cost savings really show themselves. And of course, the carbon saving is good enough to offset that second TV.

A note for new car owners: using non-standard fuels probably voids your warranty. This doesn't mean they're bad, just that they're not covered. Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    I've heard that your car will start smelling like a chip-pan fryer if you put enough of it in your tank.

I run petrol, but I probably woulden't use oil even If i had a diesel. Let us know if you decide to try it though :)
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    I've heard that your car will start smelling like a chip-pan fryer if you put enough of it in your tank.

I run petrol, but I probably woulden't use oil even If i had a diesel. Let us know if you decide to try it though :)
    no i dont want my car smelling of a chippie, but i'll probably try putting a little bit in and see how it goes.
  • Options
    I believe it's illegal, actually. Something about circumventing tax.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I believe it's illegal, actually. Something about circumventing tax.

All the more reason to do it then! :D
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote:
    Do't you add a big of sugar

Try putting sugar in your engine, I dare you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What happens?
  • Options
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    What happens?

What happens when you burn sugar? It becomes caramelized, like tar.
    If you stick sugar in your tank you will kill your car.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's not illegal but you have to declare it and pay fuel tax on it to the government, thus negating the cheapness.

I used to work on a golf course and would quite often fill up with the cherry meant for the greens machines. Naughty but I never got caught. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's not illegal but you have to declare it and pay fuel tax on it to the government, thus negating the cheapness.
    This kind of thing doesn't make sense... You bought it, you paid tax for bying it, and that's it. As long as you're not going to use it for a purpose that would be illegal anyway (like setting somebody on fire), what you do with it should be your own business.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Not that I am every planning on doing something like that (firstly my car runs on petrol so this is completely hypothetical) but how does one go about declaring something like that? Do you have a special form to fill in? Who do you get in touch with about it?

I'm curious :)