Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fuck - 2 weeks to move out!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My live-in landlord told me earlier tonight that he's moving out, and renting the flat out to other people.

Which is alright, but I've only paid my rent to the 29th of this month, and after that he says I've to move out.

I don't like the guy, and I was thinking of moving out anyway. But it says on my contract that he's got to give me two months notice, but he says that there's also a bit in my contract about respecting other people in the flat, and that he could have kicked me out on the spot a few tiomes when I've come home drunk or brought somebody back to the flat and made too much noise.

I don't know what to do, I'm really scared because I don't have money to pay a deposit till I get paid on the 25th. I'm fucking proper upset now because I'm not well I've been off work and I've now to find a flat in the next two weeks or I'll end up sleeping in a car park again :(

He only told me about it today, but there's two viewings already arranged for next week. Why are people just fucking horrible sometimes, seriously?

Keep searching for a flatshare rather than pissing about on here might help a bit more.

But yeah, he can't really do this can he?

Comments

• Options
    I'd imagine that if it says 2 months notice in your contract then he has to give you two months. As for your past misdemeanours i'd like to see hime prove them. As for what to do, no idea sorry, but there's plenty of peeps here who know about housing law etc
  • Options
    I'm afraid I can't tell you if he can Bri - but you can ask Shleter a question directly through askTheSite - be worth putting in as much detail into the question as you can (including details of the type of contract)

You can ask a question through here - http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite/askaquestion
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    you've had the useful advice, os I'll just chip in with- bloody landlords!
  • Options
    Great stuff guys - cheers :thumb:

Calmed down a bit now and I've been on to pretty much every flatshare advert in Glasgow, and I'll keep it up until I get it sorted.

Had a look at my contract just there - says that the it's a contract for six months (which ended in October last year) and during that time he's to give me two months notice if he wants me to leave for any reason. After that it says the contract is open (I didn't sign anything when the six months expired), but nothing about notice periods after the six month period - when I mentioned I might be moving out a couple of weeks ago he said I'd need to give two months notice, so I'd imagine that means he's liable to give notice too?

I just don't like not feeling secure and knowing I'll have a roof over my head - I'm a bit of a nightmare when it comes to looking for a crib as some people will testify to ;)
  • Options
    If your contract has expired I'd expect it means all bets are off, so he can kick you out whenever he likes. I suspect him telling you you need to give two months is just bullshit so he's got a steady flow on income.

Hope everything goes ok anyway!