Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

alocohol drinking age should be lowered

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well then shouldn't Japan have a worse problem than us?

AFAIK it does. http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/66/Living_In_Japan2.html

"I have often seen the aftermath of these company get-togethers. Getting the last train from Tokyo out to the suburbs is something I hate. The train is crowded with businessmen (and oftentimes, women as well) reeking of alcohol, stumbling on their way home. I have seen people pass out, get head butted in a drunken fight, and even had one fall on top of me. The strange thing is, no one gets mad at these drunkards or looks at them in pity. People make room for those who throw up and allow those sleeping in the train stations to lie still until they are able to move again.
    I remember once, late at night, as I was going home I came across a man lying in the middle of the sidewalk. He was well-dressed so I assumed he was not a homeless man trying to take a nap. I assumed something was seriously wrong, that he might need medial care. Using my limited Japanese I asked him if he was okay. No answer. I asked him again. Suddenly, another businessman appeared by my side and said `it`s okay. He`s drunk`, laughed and walked on. Not speaking enough of the language, I moved on and hoped that if the man really did need medical attention, someone would stop and help him. I had learnt my lesson: businessmen (and women) are expected to get so drunk that they cannot even find their way home. And, surprisingly they were not getting drunk with friends, but most often with their coworkers."