Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wooow slow cooking looks cool!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recipies

Basically you whack it all in the crockpot/slow cooker and leave it all day. When you get back it's all cooked like a stew. :yum:

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We've got Rayburn (similar to an Aga) and use it to slow cook stuff all the time. It's superb.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ah my grandma had a rayburn it was IMMENSE. You could cook anything you like in any way imaginable at the same time as everything else was cooking, as well as heating the house, drying your socks and using the socks and food that accidentally got burnt as the fuel for the next lot! It was awesome - when I get my own place I'm having one!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    We've got Rayburn (similar to an Aga)

We've got a Rayburn too and yeah they are very good for slow cooking.
    Used to have an Aga but it was ancient (been in the house for years and years, well before we moved it) and it fucked up eventually.
  • Options
    Slow cooking can be great, as long as you remember to turn it on in the morning. You can use really cheap cuts of meat like neck and shin and they come out great.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    We've got a Rayburn too and yeah they are very good for slow cooking.
    Used to have an Aga but it was ancient (been in the house for years and years, well before we moved it) and it fucked up eventually.

:yes:

We used to have a solid fuel Aga too, until the company that was meantg to service it fucked up, left the flue blocked, and almost killed us with carbon monoxide. Put everyone in hospital for the night anyway.

Aga and Rayburns are good but they're horrendously expensive to buy and to fix if something goes wrong .
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    we have a slow cooker. just throw all the ingredients in, go to work and when you come back they are all cooked!
  • Options
    My dad had alot of recipes for the crockpot. Different soups and stews and this most delicious cheesy chip dip. They've got one they've had for ages and a sports team one for when the season is on too.

And the mini ones are awsome, take what you want anywhere.
  • Options
    I've got a whole Betty Crocker book of one pot meals which includes slow cooking. But ze husband will never let me leave the cooker on whilst there is noone in the house because he is such a dad and thinks the house will burn down whilst we are out. So I can only ever make them at the weekend which kind of defeats the point.

However obviously when i move to my palatial country mansion and have an Aga (this is of course only in my dreams) I will be whipping up loads of yummy slow cooked food.

On the other hand I do have an ethical dilema about all the extra energy being used to cook things for hours and hours. I'm even considering not eating stuff like lasagne any more (even thought its my favourite favourite thing) as it uses more energy than just cooking ordinary pasta.
  • Options
    I have a slow cooker but haven't used it for ages. I will drag it out of the cupboard and use it though soon. I don't eat meat apart from chicken but I guess I can do some sort of curry thing in it?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    But ze husband will never let me leave the cooker on whilst there is noone in the house because he is such a dad and thinks the house will burn down whilst we are out. So I can only ever make them at the weekend which kind of defeats the point.
    I know the feeling. My other half is exactly the same. I can't do it at weekends though because I cant resist seeing how it tastes every time I go in to the kitchen!! One day I'm certain I'll make myself ill but I just have no will power.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    On the other hand I do have an ethical dilema about all the extra energy being used to cook things for hours and hours.

Cooking for a long time at a lower temperature is far more energy-efficient than cooking for a short period of time at a higher temperature. Once an oven is up to temperature it pretty much holds it without using much energy- the energy is expended in getting the oven up to temperature.

Slow cooking is better for the environment, and it certainly tastes better.
  • Options
    I've got a Cordon Bleu Slow cooker, With Recipe Manual. Years and years old, Tiz Brilliant.

I love stew, When it's slow cooked! :yum:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Cooking for a long time at a lower temperature is far more energy-efficient than cooking for a short period of time at a higher temperature. Once an oven is up to temperature it pretty much holds it without using much energy- the energy is expended in getting the oven up to temperature.

Slow cooking is better for the environment, and it certainly tastes better.

But eating salad is even better, or something you only use the hob for - if your using gas you have almost instantaneous heat and you would cook pasta for say only 15mins rather than the hours and hours something is in the oven for.

Food is just making me feel guiltier and guiltier these days, there are so many bad things about it aside from the obvious calories but how much energy we use to produce food, food miles, how many chemicals are involved and how the animals are treated - maybe I should become a fruitatarian arrghghghghg. Or just stop thinking about how bad it all is - i'm going to start getting a guilt complex about owning a fridge soon i'm sure!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    We've got Rayburn (similar to an Aga) and use it to slow cook stuff all the time. It's superb.
    agas are ACE!
    :)
  • Options
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds awesome, and I should look into it.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    But eating salad is even better, or something you only use the hob for - if your using gas you have almost instantaneous heat and you would cook pasta for say only 15mins rather than the hours and hours something is in the oven for.

But then you have the food miles attached to eating any product that's out of season (like lettuce and tomatoes).

We've been doing slow cooking for thousands of years, I wouldn't worry about the energy. Slow-cooking locally-sourced meat and vegetables is by far and away the healthiest and most environmentally sound way of living.

You should read Leo Hickman's article in the Guardian.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Unless you have an oven like mine which heats the kitchen about as much as the inside.

Slow cooked chilli is the best, it pisses on any of the crap that's normally called chilli.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    My boyfriend and I made mulled wine in a slow cooker on xmas day...
  • Options
    Must admit, I'm very tempted to pick up a slow cooker... although I'm between that and a rice maker
  • Options
    I really don't see the point of a rice cooker! get a slow cooker.
  • Options
    Get the slow cooker unless you happen to eat a lot fo rice/congee.

Which'd be why we have like 3 of the things cluttering up my house.
  • Options
    Since a Kelomat (a pot to seal to cook with overpressure) makes the food quicker, am I right in the assumption that a slow cooker is about underpressure? I have never heard of this slowcooking, but you guys make it sounds great.

What equipment do you need for it?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I really don't see the point of a rice cooker!

Rice cookers are excellent. We use ours 3 or 4 times a week.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Superdrug have a slow cooker in their sale at the moment for £10, the boyfriend and i are going to get one when we're next in town - i saw it today and forgot to mention it to him till we were on our way home!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Since a Kelomat (a pot to seal to cook with overpressure) makes the food quicker, am I right in the assumption that a slow cooker is about underpressure? I have never heard of this slowcooking, but you guys make it sounds great.

What equipment do you need for it?

No, its nothing to do with pressure, its just, as the name suggests, cooking things really slowly on a low heat. You can do the same job really by having a big pan of chilli or stew on a really low simmer for ages.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Must admit, I'm very tempted to pick up a slow cooker... although I'm between that and a rice maker

Just saw this and thought of you... although it might be too late now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-MP131-Indian-Pack-Cooker/dp/B000G3G1FY/sr=1-8/qid=1170764275/ref=sr_1_8/203-8128517-7460706?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen
  • Options
    Not too late... looks interestingly perfect as well
  • Options
    That looks awesome

Do slow cookers go on the hob or are they seperate? Are they good for meat or vegetarian dishes too?
  • Options
    I have been told that the only problem with a slow cooker is that it really really smells when it cooks... do you guys find this?

Also what happens with stirring? If I cook something on the hob for a long time like spag bol or chilli I always stir it every 15 mins or so even when the heat is turned right down... do things in the slow cooker not get burnt as they sit in the same place for the whole time?
  • Options
    It's the amount of heat - the idea is it cooks slowly so it doesn't need stirring - and yes Kangoo, the idea is they sit seperate, which is why I'm attracted to one for my mini-flat.

Not sure about smell? Do you mean they smell of food and you'd rather they didn't or that there is a particular smell?