Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What your sleeping position says about you

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So have a look at the picture and see what that position says about you.

Do you think it's correct or complete bullshit?

Here's what they all mean ...

# The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.

This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

# Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

# The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

# Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

# Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

# Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

Comments

• Options
    I think parts of it are true. My sleeping position is The Foetus, but the description is more like what i used to be like, Im still sensitive and shy, but not tough on the outside anymore, and i dont relax until i know someone really well and then i dont always, but probably out of those descriptions its the most right.
  • Options
    I found it was quite accurate. :blush: I usually sleep in the soldier position but occasionally find myself lying in the foetus position. :)
  • Options
    I'm usually the free fall position, i should say most of it is correct but i'm not too sure what brash means :blush:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its accurate for me! The yearner thingy.
  • Options
    What am I then? I don't have a set sleepign position!
  • Options
    Mine was the foetus position. I think its pretty good.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I am sometimes:

# Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations

And the rest of the time I'm:

# The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.

I always go to sleep in Freefall position... but usually wake up in foetus. I think everyone has a mix of personality trates though... I can fluctuate depending what mood I'm in... and what time of the month it is. :razz: And a lot of people move about and change positions during sleep... So I think it's probably a load of bull.
  • Options
    i'm usually freefall
  • Options
    I could say i'm three of those, definetely at LEAST two. I don't think they are all that accurate.
  • Options
    i go to sleep in the foetus but lately i've been waking up in the starfish :chin:
  • Options
    Hmm, tough one. How I sleep is dictated by what's bearable and has been for so long now can't remember what I used to do, although nothing feels right at the moment. :impissed:
  • Options
    I always fall asleep in the featal one. Meks me feel cozy and safe. I cant fall asleep any other way. If im with the bf then i have to integrate him into it using his shoulder as a pillow :)

I'd like to sleep in the starfish if it didnt make my arms completely numb :mad: but i do sometimes wake up in it.

i guess the personality things are kind of true, but all of the descriptions describe me partly anyway so i dont believe things like this can be true.
  • Options
    I guess I'm somewhere between foetus and yearner.
  • Options
    I don't sleep in any of those positions :confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Neither do I. Mine's like the foetus, except the bottom leg is straight and the top one is sort of bent up over it.

Thats what I do too, but opposite, the top one is stretched out. And sometimes a fetos/log diagnolly across the bed when the man gets up to go to the bathroom.
  • Options
    In winter, I'm "The turtle" :D Take every corner of the sheets and pull them underneath you :D

my really most common sleeping position is on the stomach, a TAD on one side, and with one knee up. Like lying straight on your left side, bending the upper (right) leg at the hip and knee and then roll on your tummy... and yeah, you can imagine.
  • Options
  • Options

This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.
  • Options
    mixture of foetus and yearner.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    sophia wrote:
    Neither do I. Mine's like the foetus, except the bottom leg is straight and the top one is sort of bent up over it.

:yes:

Either that or the Freefaller.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lately I've been waking up lying on my back with my knees in the air... like with my feet flat on the mattress up near my bum. Always slept like that as a kid... never really met anyone else who does that... Not that it comes up in conversation a lot.

Does anyone else move loads in their sleep though? Aparently I'm really annoying to share a bed with cos I kick and hog the duvet etc...

Maybe that means I've got a very changeable personality :chin:
  • Options
    I'm either the Foetus, but with both legs straight, or the Freefaller.

Who the fuck sleeps in the Log position? :lol:
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote:
    I'm either the Foetus, but with both legs straight, or the Freefaller.

Who the fuck sleeps in the Log position? :lol:

It's meant to be the second most common sleeping position! Doesn't look very comfy to me though.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Same here but I'm always tossing and turning so I'm a cross between that, the foetus and the yearner.
  • Options
    I'm # Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Load of crap.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I go to bed I move turn around several times before I fall asleep, so I go through all these positions except "Yearner". Almost always though, the one I fall asleep in is either "Foetus" or "Freefaller".

Two other things: Whenever I'm a "Freefaller" or "Starfish", my hands are under the pillow, instead of next to it. And also, some years back I used to sleep in a position almost like "Foetus", except that my hand touching the bed was under the pillow and the other one was between my thighs (close to the knees).