Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it best to stay away?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I met this guy before christmas. Had an amazing chat with him, got on really well, interested in the same things, and then there was the added extra click; you know when you've met someone who's really on your level?

He mentioned then and there that he has a girlfriend of 4 years and although my heart dropped a little, I respected that there was no way I was getting in there. Didn't flirt or try anything on.

Bumped into him on NYE and had another long ,wonderful chat. He'd done some coke and several times said something along the lines of "I know this'll probably sound like the drugs talking but I'm really, really glad I met up with you tonight". His girlfriend was away on holiday with friends and so we spent a lot of the evening together. The next day I got a text asking me out for a drink. I declined, thinking it was best to let a little distance get between us so I wasn't treading on his girlfriend's toes. But I just bumped into him now and agreed to go for a drink tonight. He also mentioned he and his girlfriend broke up just before new year's and he doesn't know where the relationship is going to go (they've split and got back together several times).

Am I being really vain in assuming he feels similarly to me about the way we get on? Or is this drink tonight risky? I don't want to end up feeling more strongly about him or confusing him about how he feels....

Comments

• Options
    It seems more than a little convenient that he's just broken up with her as he meets you, if I were you I'd suspect that I'm a bit on the side not a new relationship.
  • Options
    Or he could be asking you out on the rebound.

However its not entirely inconcievable that meeting you before christmas lead him to reassess the relationship he was in which lead to the breakup and he has genuinely broken up with her etc etc. But then again it strange that he didn't mention that on NYE.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand at first but I would do some more diggin tonight before you agree to a second date.
  • Options
    I would deffinatly tread carefully here and wait until a split up is definate.
  • Options
    As wyetry says, it could well be that meeting you made him finally decide to end a dying relationship. Just because they'd been together doesn't mean that its a good relationship.

It does seem a bit convenient, but at the same time he told you that he had a gf- if he was trying to get into your knickers and nothing more he'd have simply not mentioned her.
  • Options
    Yeah agree with Wyetry and Froggy.

He's on the rebound and wants some loving. That's not to say that he's not a nice guy and all that and that perhaps later something might develop but if he's being truthful, then cool it for a bit.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

It does seem a bit convenient, but at the same time he told you that he had a gf- if he was trying to get into your knickers and nothing more he'd have simply not mentioned her.

Yeah I completely trust him on that front - its not that I think he's going to use me because he's absolutely not that type. He hasn't made a move or anything and he said to me today that it was her who ended it and he still loves her. Which is why I think maybe I'm being a bit arrogant thinking there might be something more to this drink.... but then again my judgement of men is often fatally flawed...
  • Options
    You could well be a rebound.

That said, if you go into it not expecting too much, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    It seems more than a little convenient that he's just broken up with her as he meets you, if I were you I'd suspect that I'm a bit on the side not a new relationship.

:yes: or rebound like others have said.
  • Options
    poo.
  • Options
    i think you should meet up with him tonight. but just be aware that he is still in love with his ex-girlfriend, theres a chance they could get back together and if they don't it will take him a while to get over her. theres no reason why you can't be friends with him though. just be cautious and remember these things. it may develop into something more but don't jump in too quickly or it will go wrong.