Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is Happiness?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Many people believe that the most important reason to live is to be happy. However, happiness differs among everybody, as different things make different people happy. So my question to you is what makes you happy? How can happiness be achieved? Are you happy? (please be as thorough in your explanation as you'd like).

Comments

• Options
    when I'm my ideal weight, don't have money worries and I'm in love with someone amazing. That's when I'm happiest. It's all about me.
  • Options
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    There is no point in me getting philosophical,Miffy's post says it all.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:

Damn you, you beat me. I used to have that as my signature, it's so true.
  • Options
    Happiness is a Ken Dodd song.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "Happiness is a warm manatee." ~Rapp Scallion
  • Options
    Chicks, money and success.

I'm so original.
  • Options
    Happiness, is a cigar called Hamlet :yes:
  • Options
    when i'm having fun with my friends, when im in lust, when i know someone feels the same way, when im on ecstasy, when i'm listening to great music, when i'm dancing, when i'm eating yummy food, when i'm buying gorgeous clothes, when i'm being complimented, when i'm with my family and i realise how much i love them, when i wake up and i realise i don't have to get up for work, when i look in the mirror and i'm happy with how i look, when i'm getting ready to go out and party.
  • Options
    Happiness is when you're not being a sad twat who just sits there feeling sorry for themselves, it's about being grateful for what you have.
  • Options
    Happiness is a subjective term, and it has a different meaning from person to person.
    To describe it in a broad sense, happiness is achieving what you set out to achieve, whether in life as a whole or at any given moment.
  • Options
    I'm a happy boy, but I always hope I've got this wee bit of insecurity about me that's not quite sure about myself or where I'm going.
  • Options
    Happiness to me is having a family who loves me and i love them, money in my pocket, fuel in my car and food in my cupboard.
  • Options
    Its a good question. For the past few years i have been determined to find happiness. Saying that im not really sure what happiness is.

I have days when im happy, but i think im kind of waiting to be happy with my life in general. Not just the odd day.

I really admire people who are totally happy, i know how hard happiness is to find, so if your happy then you have my respect.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Happiness is when you're not being a sad twat who just sits there feeling sorry for themselves, it's about being grateful for what you have.
    aint that the fuckin truth!

now get on msn ;)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    now get on msn ;)

Ah sorry, just about to head to the pub. I'll probably be on later, pissed and talking shite, nothing new there then. :D
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Ah sorry, just about to head to the pub. I'll probably be on later, pissed and talking shite, nothing new there then. :D
    ahh im off to the pub later so maybe catch u another time
  • Options
    So my question to you is what makes you happy?
    A lot of things... Animals, children, meeting new people, working on different projects, the hope that I might one day be able to make positive changes to the world.

I'm happiest when I'm around the people I love and I have some wonderful friendships with my 'brothers' and 'sisters'. It feels just great cuddling up to a friend or when somebody says "I love you".

I love the sense of freedom I get sometimes, catching a nice sunset over the Thames, finding a piece of music which makes you purr or just watching people evolve and become more beautiful through their experiences. There are so many reasons to be happy in the world.

How can happiness be achieved?
    I've lived an amazing life, by which I mean that I have learnt from a lot that's happened to me. Anybody who was around on thesite back in 2000 would know that I was a cutter, I abused solvents, I smoked pot heavily and drank way too much. I think this was because of a lot of things that happened in the past... Although I feel that apart from certain issues with my father, I have recovered.

If I could say anything to my bullies I would thank them. They taught me a lot about compassion and not judging people and through these lessons I feel I've learnt a lot. Knowing what it's like to feel small kind of acts like a weight to balance me so I don't get too big for my boots. I have also learnt what to say when people are sad because I try to treat people with the same gentleness as my saviours put upon me.

In essence, I think that happiness comes from reflecting upon your own suffering and experiences and seeing what they have taught you.

Are you happy?
    I do not believe that anybody is completely happy, I don't think there is an absolute state of joy and that we all have skeletons in our closets. If we did not feel guilt, sadness or anger then how would we know how to handle people who feel the same? Would we get as much done? Would we ever appologise or feel sympathy or empathy for people?

For me, I have already said that my father is an issue, but I'm glad that it's an issue, I'm glad I still have battles to fight because one day I know I will come out better for it. I can be irritable and misandristic at times and boy do I have a huge axe to grind with the way the world works...

But then I am yet to meet a human being who does not feel they have an improvement to make about their being. We will spend our whole lives looking to make ourselves a better person and I don't know if anybody will ever feel that their lives or themselves are perfect. If we all saw perfection in the world there would be a lot more injustice.

Finally, a wonderful quote somebody sent me:

"The question is not why are you so infrequently the person you really want to be. The question is why do you so infrequently want to be the person you really are."
    Oriah Mountain Dreamer
  • Options
    Happiness is being 6 years old and getting up for xmas at 7am, knowing that it will be a good 30 years before you have to do the same with your own kids.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! Any other opinions on happiness?
  • Options
    Im happiest when i roll over / reach out and feel my bf there ready to hug me back, then it doesnt matter that my car is out of fuel, or i have no money. Just knowing that im loved for me and not what ive got, is my idea of happines