Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cancer girl shuns extra treatment

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There isn't any right or wrong in a case like this, it's an individual and personal choice.
  • Options
    Personnaly i'd carry on with trying to find a treatment that could help, but if she has chosen this course i wish her well in the time she has left.
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:
    So how much of our money has she wasted on treatments already? :p

About time people who are gonna die stopped seeking help, heh

I really hope hope you're 'joking' about this, even though this is certainly not a thread to be joking in.
  • Options
    jordy wrote:
    I actually agree with Fiend 85 (in some ways) and think she should carry on with treatment. My point of view though is quite biased, as i lost my dad a year ago to cancer and would not have wanted him to stop fighting. I just think that even if something doesn't work, it's worth trying.

Nash, you said in one of your threads: 'There was virtually no hope of her treatment succeeding'. To me, the key word in this is 'virtually'. Miracles can and do happen, and i believe every life is precious, and worth fighting for.

This is just my opinion, and i know a lot of you will disagree, but just thought i'd give my take on it. :thumb:

But unfortunately there is no hope of treatment succeeding in this case. She has been told it is now terminal. I understand that you wouldn't want a loved one to stop fighting, but at the end of the day it is also very difficult to see a loved one enduring the pain and hideous side effects of chemeotherapy. If you have already accepted the end then, as many people have said i think i would prefer quality time with my family, rather than continuing treatment that makes life unbarable anyway. But like many people have said it is all about individual choice. All i can say is that i have the utmost respect for her maturity and her parents supportive attitude at this horrible time :thumb:
  • Options
    Personally I am sick to my back teeth of the media portraying people who do go through chemotherapy and radiotherapy (espcially the children) as "brave". It isn't.

What this girl has chosen to do is brave. She has chosen to die with what little dignity she will have left to her. Personally I suspect that I would be a coward.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Am I the only one to take that as a joke?

No, I thought it was quite funny too.

As for the girl, I think she should be commended for reaching a mature decision, but I think the adjective "brave" is a bit out-of-place in these cases. It's not like she has much of a choice.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    I really hope hope you're 'joking' about this, even though this is certainly not a thread to be joking in.

I agree. Josie's decision to stop treatment raises very complex and emotionally-charged questions. It's understandable that people will have different responses to this decision, sometimes based on their life experiences. A sense of humour (or a challenging point of view) is generally welcome; but sometimes it's hard to tell what's meant to be ironic.

Anyway, it's definitely a thought-provoking debate.
  • Options
    At the risk of being flamed, I'm not actually sure why this is newsworthy. It's not like she's the first person ever to decide not to continue treatment for cancer.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the girl, I think she should be commended for reaching a mature decision, but I think the adjective "brave" is a bit out-of-place in these cases. It's not like she has much of a choice.

I don't think it would be an easy decision to make, stop taking any treatment and just accept you're going to die. I think anyone who goes through cancer, and can accept that they're going to die, is brave.

I could walk up to a bouncer and kick him in the groin more easily than accept that my time on earth is very quickly coming to an end and there's nothing I can do about it.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

I don't know, I think its important to not take things so seriously sometimes.

I'd agree with Miffy, to be honest, she isn't the only teenager that this happens to. My sister-in-law has a serious heart defect that by rights should have killed her days after her birth, and she recently had an operation in which she had a 25% chance of not waking up again. Not quite the same, I know, but my family wasn't in the papers and nor would I expect them to be.

I have a different idea of brave, I think. She has shown tremendous strength and dignity in just getting on with it, but bravery is about more than that.
  • Options
    What this girl has chosen to do is brave. She has chosen to die with what little dignity she will have left to her. Personally I suspect that I would be a coward.

Its a personnal choice, if she wants to stay at home and spend what time she has left happy then its her choice.