Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any fellow "gym rats" here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gym rats means people who go a gym alot. ;)

I know there is a few of us here, but I'm interested in seeing how many fellow weightlifters post.

(Leave your egos though out of the thread ;))

Comments

• Options
    I go regurarly... unless I have class, have my period, am too hungry, ate too much, have an owie anywhere. :p

Mostly I just hang out in the hot tub after I stroll on a treadmill for a bit searching out the weirdos, theres tons of them there. One time a naked guy walked out of the locker room into the pool area.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I go regurarly... unless I have class, have my period, am too hungry, ate too much, have an owie anywhere. :p

Mostly I just hang out in the hot tub after I stroll on a treadmill for a bit searching out the weirdos, theres tons of them there. One time a naked guy walked out of the locker room into the pool area.
    So you dont do much there then. Only perv on the weirdos. lol
  • Options
    I also once saw a woman in spandex doing scissors on a floor mat and she had a sweaty vagina

And yes, your right, I don't do much, :( but I'm still there and thats 90% of the battle :p

To be horridly honest, I'll walk, do 3-4 machines (usually 3), then pool time. But its something... and usually about 3-4 days a week 3 weeks amonth.

I just like to think I'm lazier than I actualyl am :(
  • Options
    Are you a weightlifter Myname? :D
  • Options
    I did for 2 almost 2 years when I was 16-18 :p With my dad and my brother. They'd take me to the weight room in the school after hours and they taught me to do proper free weights. It was good times. Then I moved. I was a strong little muff ;):p
  • Options
    Ok one male and one women. lol

Is that it? :D
  • Options
    Heavy Dumbells at home, Hill running etc etc. Will be joining the Gym next year sometime, but for now I am seeing good results with what I have.
  • Options
    I went to a gym once, my muscley mate took me and said i did quite good. Didn't go again though, there were no ashtrays on the exercise bikes :p
  • Options
    Ah, rubberskin what a surprise! :eek:

:D
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Im up there Mon-Fri 5 times a week between 2-6pm after work. I only use free weights, rarely do any cardio vascular exercises. Keep my weekends for resting, eating and drinking loads.
  • Options
    I would start going again if i knew how to do proper weights but I tried it once and looked like a fool.

I always mean to go in the swimming pool but I'm afraid I just can't get the motivation.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I went to a gym once, my muscley mate took me and said i did quite good. Didn't go again though, there were no ashtrays on the exercise bikes :p
    haha, you need to come to my gym, we have ashtrays, and a vodka vending machine...thats why i like going!

I do love going to the gym, but the only weights i use are the ones to tone me up, but i suppose they are still the same ones as you use, but i just do them on a lower weight.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I would start going again if i knew how to do proper weights but I tried it once and looked like a fool.

I always mean to go in the swimming pool but I'm afraid I just can't get the motivation.
    Why dont you ask a personal trainer or someone to help you? TBH most people (especially in public gyms) dont know how to train at all. They seem to let there ego get out of control and use crap form.

Even when I used to ego train, I still used good form (except I got injured :()!
  • Options
    In my quest to shift a few pounds i did use a few weights, had to stop though cos my arms were starting to look a tad too muscley for a girl. Never did it properly though.
  • Options
    Heh, I wouldn't say im a gym rat i've not stepped foot inside one since March, not because i've given up but they don't seem to let you in if you don't pay :confused:

I must admit since then I have done very little but in last month or so i've set up all the home gym and free weights I have and started trying to bulk up properly again. I've got all the kit to do most of the compound exercises with the weights and so far it seems to be going well. So not sure if I techically count, I guess im more of a home-gym rat :D

Once I have money coming in again and sorted out a few other bits i'll hopefully be heading straight back to a proper gym, only so far I can go with the bench and equipment I have at the moment. :)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    haha, you need to come to my gym, we have ashtrays, and a vodka vending machine...thats why i like going!

Oh my god you lie. I'd go every day no matter whats bleeding or sneezing if there was that!
  • Options
    I used to go 3 times a week but have been a bit slack lately. Need to get back into it.
  • Options
    My membership is expensive, Im paying £43 a month and thats only because i lied about being a student, the normal price is £52.

Daylight robbery really but its useful as i only live 3 mins away.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    My membership is expensive, Im paying £43 a month and thats only because i lied about being a student, the normal price is £52.

Staying healthy seems to be costing us our lives. lol

I pay £35 for some crappy back ally squat.
  • Options
    But then again i do have access to tennis courts, astro turf pitch, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, gym and a bar. Not bad for all under one roof.

Only worth your money if you use it alot
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    But then again i do have access to tennis courts, astro turf pitch, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, gym and a bar. Not bad for all under one roof.

Only worth your money if you use it alot
    World strongest man competitor Terry Hollands trains down the gym I go to. :cool:
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:

Thats a really good deal! I wish mine was that much. I never realized how expensive gyms were until I had to find my own :( I got a deal though, I forced my boyfriend into joining in a joint account so got some off, and then they made a mistake in the newspaper and quoted the wrong down payment (which I still don't understand, none of that money went to any months... rip off :\ )

What I did like about the one I go to... as none of the other places around did it... especially Bally's... oh they are such a rip off, when I went in there, they made you sign a contract and the shortest they had was a 2 year one, and if you wanted to cancel, you couldn't just cancel, you actually needed a doctors note :lol: But mine didn't make you sign one, i did have the down payment, but if you wanted to quit anytime thats fine, and if at any time in the future you wanted to start back up again, you wouldn't have to pay that down payment again.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thats a really good deal! I wish mine was that much. I never realized how expensive gyms were until I had to find my own :( I got a deal though, I forced my boyfriend into joining in a joint account so got some off, and then they made a mistake in the newspaper and quoted the wrong down payment (which I still don't understand, none of that money went to any months... rip off :\ )

What I did like about the one I go to... as none of the other places around did it... especially Bally's... oh they are such a rip off, when I went in there, they made you sign a contract and the shortest they had was a 2 year one, and if you wanted to cancel, you couldn't just cancel, you actually needed a doctors note :lol: But mine didn't make you sign one, i did have the down payment, but if you wanted to quit anytime thats fine, and if at any time in the future you wanted to start back up again, you wouldn't have to pay that down payment again.
    BTW didnt planet fitness over in the States ban someone for grunting. :D

I wish I had a golds gym near me. The nearest one is in Essex which is about a 60+min bus journey from me.

heres the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610 :D
  • Options
    I used to got 4/5 times a week when I had my gym membership last year and spent at least an hour there each time. On most days it was 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.

Did an hour of cardio - on the bikes, rowers, cross trainers and treadmills and about half an hour muscle training in an attempt to tone up lots.

Couldn't afford it this year though. I bought a cross trainer instead as I thought in the long run this would be cheaper. However, I rarely use the thing. Its just really bad being in my bedroom. LOL.

I used to have so much motivation to work out in the gym but with this thing with my bed in sight, its just not happening.

I'm definately going to start using it 3 times a week at least though for 30 minutes each time in the new year. Its gonna be one of my new years resolutions! HAHA.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    i go to the gym a lot as i'm still getting back into shape after two knee surgeries (acl and meniscus in right knee, meniscus in left). bout 9 or 10 months post op.

it's amazing (read: frustrating!) how fast muscle disappears when you're injured and can't work out. just wish it grew back at that same rate!

my current aim is to get my barbell squat to 1.5 times my bodyweight so that i have the core strength for plyometric jump exercises (basketball is my sport). once i am there i will know i am back to fitness i think.
    An injury tends to cause atrophy in that specific area, I was out nearly a year, shrunk abit and got fat. It is a bummer when you have to start over again to get back to where you was.
  • Options
    I used to go 3 times a week, but Ive stopped that in place of going boxing twice a week and gym once (well usually).
    I need to exersize or I get back problems.

Since concentrating on the boxing Ive lost a bit of strength but only a little say 10%. But I feel better am much bouncier and fitter and of course tougher.
  • Options
    I used to go 3 times a week, but Ive stopped that in place of going boxing twice a week and gym once (well usually).
    I need to exersize or I get back problems.

Since concentrating on the boxing Ive lost a bit of strength but only a little say 10%. But I feel better am much bouncier and fitter and of course tougher.
    funny, when I stop going to gym I get severe joint pains aswell, especially in the wrists.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    funny, when I stop going to gym I get severe joint pains aswell, especially in the wrists.

Thats unusual it may be the gym isnt the best for it perhaps your straining or not warming up enough.

Back problems are much more common and exersise is generally the best way to deal with it, I get pain in the lower back it can be realy bad If Ive been of the gym for a month, its due to sitting in a chair all day at work.
  • Options
    Thats unusual it may be the gym isnt the best for it perhaps your straining or not warming up enough.

Back problems are much more common and exersise is generally the best way to deal with it, I get pain in the lower back it can be realy bad If Ive been of the gym for a month, its due to sitting in a chair all day at work.
    When I'm training its fine, but when I came of nearly a years lay off in which I was getting pains. Perhaps its just they get stiff.

But I remember before I used to go gym I would have to see the DR because the pains I'd get in my wrists and knees. Then I started going, and the pain stopped.
  • Options
    Gym goers: it is a well established scientific fact, that the biggest Muscle Mary in the gym will be the guy who changes his boxers under a towel. * ;)