Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christianity and foreplay/sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering about how far you can go with a woman if ur a Christian. I have been going out with ma gf for 4 months now and our relationship is starting to get serious. We both love each other, however i'm a Christian and she is not. I know you should not have sexual intercourse but what about foreplay and touching places? I dont doubt whether i want to do it or not, its just my religion tells me not to and its hard. I'm kinda stuck in that i want to do it with her but i dont want to jepodise my relationship with God either.

Please help guys.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't there a chapter in the bible for all this?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Isn't there a chapter in the bible for all this?
    Yeah, it's in Acts.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's in Acts.

Well there you go then.

Your faith is your own interpretation of the bible, no one can tell you what to believe. Some Christians will take it to mean nothing before sex, others will just do it.
  • Options
    Alright kid, here's the deal.
    It's up to how you take the Bible. If you believe you have to stick to every word then you do that. But if you're gonna stick with it with this, you're gonna have to stick with it the whole time. K? Otherwise that would be hypocritical.

I don't know my Bible off my heart, but unless you're a Catholic, I don't think that there is anything against masturbation or foreplay or whatever. The Bible just warns being a slag about it.

Personally, I used the whole 'no sex before marriage' thing to translate as 'no sex before love'. Marriage is a symbol of love, ya se? A sure sign.
    And so. I don't believe in sleeping around, but I do believe in having sex with someone you love.

But it's up to you. No one can tell you what to do. And if you think it's gonna really affect your relationship with God, then maybe you should reconsider what you're doing.
  • Options
  • Options
    i asked my friend before (who is christian) and her views were that you could do everthing (in forplay) but actually have sex so aslong as the guy doesn't go inside the girl than it should be ok but its up to everyones interpretation of the bible.
  • Options
    playdead wrote:
    i asked my friend before (who is christian) and her views were that you could do everthing (in forplay) but actually have sex so aslong as the guy doesn't go inside the girl than it should be ok but its up to everyones interpretation of the bible.

I don't quite get that you said you can have sex ... but the penis cannot go inside the girl? But that is sex? :confused:
  • Options
    I think the problem there is that the boy can't use punctation. There should have been a full stop or a semicolon or something in there I think!!
  • Options
    it's entirely up to you to decide. make what you will of your religious scripts of choice and go from there. but make sure your gf knows what you're thinking...

you must both compromise on your beliefs over this matter, her on yours, and you on hers.
  • Options
    I think you shouldn't get too caught up on the technicalities of it, and go with your conscience, and what you feel is the spirit of the teachings. I've heard about "no sex before marriage" Christians having anal sex and oral because they've been told that they can't have regular sex, but nothing else. I'm no expert, but I don't think that is what these particular teachings are about. If you feel that anything you might do would be against the intent of the teachings you believe in, then don't do it. Don't try and justify it on what you're technically 'allowed' to do. Justify it (or not) based on your interpretation.
  • Options
    When you die the following is likely to be true (assuming you believe the bible):

In Heaven - Cliff Richard, Elgar, Mary Whitehouse
    In Hell - Hendrix, Clapton etc etc etc

Personally I am going all out for being barred from Heaven. Who wants to spend eternity with Cliff Fucking Richard?
  • Options
    adambombz wrote:
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering about how far you can go with a woman if ur a Christian. I have been going out with ma gf for 4 months now and our relationship is starting to get serious. We both love each other, however i'm a Christian and she is not. I know you should not have sexual intercourse but what about foreplay and touching places? I dont doubt whether i want to do it or not, its just my religion tells me not to and its hard. I'm kinda stuck in that i want to do it with her but i dont want to jepodise my relationship with God either.

Please help guys.
    Just make sure you repent afterwards.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, some were very useful to me! I will definately talk to ma gf about this and see what she feels. Once again thankyou.
  • Options
    Moderator?
  • Options
    Moderator?

?
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    I don't quite get that you said you can have sex ... but the penis cannot go inside the girl? But that is sex? :confused:

He wrote "everything but have sex". 'Everything but' is a phrase that means 'everything except'.
  • Options
    I'm a Christian but personally I'm ok with sex aslong as both parties are consenting. I think it's up the to the individual Christian to decide what suits them.
  • Options
    The Bible says man shalt not lay with man and woman slaht not lay with another woman...

Sits me up because I used to go camping and share a tent with other girls. :nervous:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    ?

Check Adambombz title
  • Options
    The Bible says man shalt not lay with man and woman slaht not lay with another woman...

Sits me up because I used to go camping and share a tent with other girls. :nervous:
    I've shared beds with girls before. We're both doomed.... doomed I tell ya!
  • Options
    I think we're maybe making this a little bit more down to interpretation than it actually is; the bottom line is 'no sex before marriage' as the oft-used saying goes..... but to suggest, to use the example that someone else gave, that anal and oral are ok, defies common sense, and in any case strikes me as being decidely odd - if you don't like the rules, then what's the point in trying to find 'technicalities' on which to escape from them? Just don't follow them!

If you are sufficiently interested - which it seems you may be - I would strongly recommend listening to the 'What does God think of sex?' link at this address:

http://www.sheffieldcu.org.uk/downloads.php

It's really all about drawing an intangible line somewhere. Obviously kissing, for example, is clearly not sex, so there is a line somewhere beyond kissing but short of 'sex' as we understand it which you shouldn't cross. It is a tough one to answer.

I'd also point out, most importantly, that the real issue here is NOT how you interpret the bible - it is the way you interpret the word 'sex'.

I personally think the most sensible/clear cut place to drawn the line is short of acts involving the primary sexual organs.

As far as I am concerned, it is certainly NOT up to the individual christian to decide what the 'general rule' is; the bible makes it unequivocally clear!! The bible *clearly* outlaws sex before marriage. No realistic 'interpretation' of the bible can get away from that.

Yes, Christians' interpretation of what sex is may vary, but it is clear that the bible does outlaw 'sexual' activity - whatever you take that to mean - before marriage.

Somebody said earlier that they're fine with sex and it's up to what suits you - with respect, that is absurd; if you profess to be a christian then you have decided 'what suits you' and what rules you live by - The Bible!! And even the broadest interpretation of the book could never ever conclude that pre-marital 'sex' - as the word is commonly understood - is ok.
  • Options
    Marriage is a man made thing! Animals don't have it. We have these sexual feelings and organs for a reason.
    (I'd personally say the bible/religion is man made too but I can't prove it and you don't believe it but you can prove marriage is man made)
  • Options
    but not all Christians believe the same things. some follow the bible literally, others use it as a guide to life and morals. so it really is up to the individual person to decide how they want to interpret their religious text of choice.

I really couldnt care less what your personal beliefs are, I think it is down to each individual to decide that for themselves.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    but not all Christians believe the same things. some follow the bible literally, others use it as a guide to life and morals. so it really is up to the individual person to decide how they want to interpret their religious text of choice.

I really couldnt care less what your personal beliefs are, I think it is down to each individual to decide that for themselves.
    Tell me to f off but was that a response to my post?
  • Options
    I assumed it was to the long one saying that if you're Christian you can't possibly have sex outside of wedlock.....
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Tell me to f off but was that a response to my post?

no it wasnt, the one above yours :)
    implied all christians follow the bible in the same way, which they dont really. it amuses me greatly that people from the same religion argue amongst themselves about the texts they are based on

I also think that religion is a man made thing, but then being unique to man, it would be I guess... I've always thought religion's sole beginning was the lack of understanding by man of his surroundings, but this isn't really the place to go into that.
  • Options
    Mollow wrote:
    Check Adambombz title

ah yeah... how odd!
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:

You can only 'interpret' something so far before you've moved so far away from it that it is something completely different. You can't be a 'pick your own' Christian, and willingly ignore some of the rules you don't like (well, you can, but if you reject one or more of its absolutely fundamental principles, are you really a 'christian' anyway?). You're in or you're out. The issue we're talking about is an absolutely fundamental one and isn't open to interpretation. As I've said, the word 'sex' is ambiguous/open to interpretation, but the basic notion which comes from the Bible is a clear one.

And, might I add, *no one* follows the Bible 'literally'. In 2006, it is logistically/practically impossible. Folks would be doing all kinds of ridiculous things. Some hang on its words more than others, but, for example, no 'christian' can claim it is alright to derogate from one of the ten commandments, and still expect themselves to be taken seriously as a christian.

On a sidenote, I couldn't give a monkey's nuts what your personal beliefs are either, but then that's nothing to do with this is it?

Pre-marital sex is condemned in Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Colossians Thessalonians, Jude, Hebrews.......!!
  • Options
    and yet many people consider themselves christian and still have premarital sex. people can pick and chose their own personal beliefs and label themselves as they like, christian or otherwise. they can choose to agree with which ever parts of the bible they like, and still call themselves christian too.

whether or not another christian would agree with this is another thing, but that doesnt really matter.
  • Options
    But the logic is this - If I claim, for example, to be 'clean' of any intoxicating substances, but smoke pot, then I can call myself 'clean' if I so wish...... but I'm being a little economical with the truth, aren't I?!

I'm a christian but I'm fine with pre-marital sex
    I'm a vegitarian but I'm partial to the odd pork chop

Surely it's obvious that the actions don't match the label??