Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Foods from different cultures & countries

(and yes, I do have permission to post this)

I'm doing Young Enterprise and we've had to come up with something to sell but it has to tie in with whatever NVQ we're currently studying. I'm doing child care and me & another girl decided that we could sell packages (can't remember what they're actually called) which we sell with recipes and people can make them at home.

Now, I've already done research on the internet and can't find anytthing suitable.

I need to have the following:
- food from different cultures & countries
- food that doesn't involve boiling, frying or using any other form of heat so that it's safe for a young child to make

It doesn't matter whether this is sweet or savoury food.

Thanks for your time.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote:

- food that doesn't involve boiling, frying or using any other form of heat so that it's safe for a young child to make

Hmm - this makes it a very tall order! could you not have cold dishes that would require some pre-prep from an adult first? e.g pasta (only takes ten mins for an adult to cook) but then the child would be able to do a lot with it afterwards. Even really simple dishes often require butter to be melted (various basic Italian sweet dishes). The only thing I can think of that wouldn't require any heat at all could be various salads or cold fajitas (but they're far tastier with a least some cooking involved - e.g prep of grilled meat, fish or other cooked filling) A child could have great fun putting them together though and testing out different combinations. Alternatively could you include some ingredients that could be pre-cooked as bought from shop?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about those Indian sweets ? Don't know where you'd get recipes from, but i imagine kids might making them as much as eating them :) Larking about with food dye is always fun.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Helen - I guess I could do what you suggeested as it does seem hard finding something that doesn't involve any of what the children can't do.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    (and yes, I do have permission to post this)

I'm doing Young Enterprise and we've had to come up with something to sell but it has to tie in with whatever NVQ we're currently studying. I'm doing child care and me & another girl decided that we could sell packages (can't remember what they're actually called) which we sell with recipes and people can make them at home.

Now, I've already done research on the internet and can't find anytthing suitable.

I need to have the following:
    - food from different cultures & countries

It doesn't matter whether this is sweet or savoury food.

Thanks for your time.

I don't really understand what your question is?

or what food packages have to do with children and child care.

But it sounds like Sushi is about the only thing that fits your bill, but when I did young Enterprise only food we were allowed to sell had to be things like crisp, sweets, etc, not anything we made ourselves cos we might poison someone.

Food sounds like a bad choice to me, you can't use heat cos they might burn themselves and yet heat is useful for killing bugs that might kill your customers.

I think you're kinda wasting your time on Young Enterprise with the food idea ... and I'm speaking as someone that did it twice two years in a row in two different companies and both times our school's companies won the title of best companies in the South East.

When we did it we sold pet rock and flashing xmas trees and sold hundreds of each. We also ran a school tuck shop, selling prepackaged foods.
  • Options
    they wont be selling the actual food though, just the recipes for it. if im reading it correctly... does it have to be from different countries/cultures? when i was younger i had a book which had so many different things in like erm... traffic light sandwiches etc.
  • Options
    I don't really understand what your question is?

I think that what Sofie's saying is, correct me if i'm wrong Sofie, that she want's recipes that don't involve cooking with heat so children can use them, to sell on to parents, child groups, nuseries, schools etc as part of her enterprise thing. With possibly recipes from other countries/cultures.

Maybe you could package the recipes up with some of the ingredients Sofie, so they've got everything they need and if they like what they make they can just buy further ingredients.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I think that what Sofie's saying is, correct me if i'm wrong Sofie, that she want's recipes that don't involve cooking with heat so children can use them, to sell on to parents, child groups, nuseries, schools etc as part of her enterprise thing. With possibly recipes from other countries/cultures.

Maybe you could package the recipes up with some of the ingredients Sofie, so they've got everything they need and if they like what they make they can just buy further ingredients.

:yes: And I've got to try them out with the children at my work placement and as they're young, they won't be bale to yse heat or anything like that. After further research, I did finally find something that could be used. May have to modify the recipe slightly though, due to what fruit is cheap now.
  • Options
    you could do pizzas i guess. the children could put all of the toppings on and then the adult would have to put them in the oven. thats what we did with the kids at nursery once and they loved it. cake/biscuit decorating also perhaps. obv the cakes/biscuits would have had to have been made before.
  • Options
    I know this food, snack really, its called puppy chow. Its real fun for kids to make.

Its made with chex cereal (or some cereal that looks like this, it has melted chocolate chips, peanut butter, you stir the cereal around in the mix, pour it into a baggie, pour some powdered sugar into the baggie and shake. Though I don't know the exact repice off hand...
  • Options
    For my young enterprise we made a cookbook (infact we made 2 because there were massive divisions in our company) it was called food of the gods and was themed around the different planets which recipies called vesuvian chillie etc.

It wasnt' a brilliant sucess and we only made a profit becuase we had bought a job lot of dodgy candles and sold them off at the christmas bazar at school and made loads of money to finance the book.

However if you want to do something for children i suggest you plagerise - I mean adapt from - books which are already out there for children's cookery - however most of these probably involve some kind of cooking unless you make sweets like pepperimint creams. Gordon Ramsey's wife has recently written a book about cooking with kids and there are loads others out there.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    my_name wrote:
    I know this food, snack really, its called puppy chow. Its real fun for kids to make.

Its made with chex cereal (or some cereal that looks like this, it has melted chocolate chips, peanut butter, you stir the cereal around in the mix, pour it into a baggie, pour some powdered sugar into the baggie and shake. Though I don't know the exact repice off hand...

Oooh that reminds me of a recipe I made with Kids in New Zealand. It was a cold dessert called Chocolate fish Ambrosia with whipped cream, strawberry yoghurt and those chocolate fish from the website. Not really a healthy option if that's what you're going for, but damn yummy and easy.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Oooh that reminds me of a recipe I made with Kids in New Zealand. It was a cold dessert called Chocolate fish Ambrosia with whipped cream, strawberry yoghurt and those chocolate fish from the website. Not really a healthy option if that's what you're going for, but damn yummy and easy.

Sounds nice though. Was looking for something helathy. 9amd something I could actually taste myself - not allowed chocolate)

Did find this last night, which sounds good:

Israeli fruit soup

2 oranges, peeled
    2 stalks rhubarb, cut in pieces
    4 slices fresh pineapple
    1 cup strawberries
    1 cup pitted cherries
    6 cups water
    1 cup brown sugar or honey
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 cup sour cream
    Combine all the ingredients except the sour cream. Adjust to taste. Simmer covered for about 20 minutes, or until the fruit is tender. Puree or force through a sieve. Chill and add sour cream before serving.
  • Options
    Various types of snack or trail mix? Would those be acceptable? My mom has tons of healthy snack mix recipes I could get.
  • Options
    Snacks would be fine as long as thye're healthy.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Various greek dishes such as

Hummus
    Taramasalata
    Tzatziki

Served with Pitta

Can all be made without cooking and served with pitta.

OR you just just make kits for different salads. They tend to be healthy too so good for kids to make.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Errr why did you reply to a threat thats 4 years old - how random - i'm quite inspired by your greek food suggestions though!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Errr why did you reply to a threat thats 4 years old - how random - i'm quite inspired by your greek food suggestions though!

That's fucked up. Im sure the thread was current. :confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

It was :D There's a spam post been removed from just before yours. Simples :)
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

n00b!!!! :p