Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Red ken wants to make band G cars pay £25 congestion charge

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea, I agree with taxing industry and freight. But economists wont because the european economic climate is very competitive at the moment, and we want to be seen as the most 'business friendly' country, and making big tax hikes we cant do that. So naturally, if you charge taxes on people, not businesses, then it's ok, because how likely are you to move to another country in Europe because the taxes are high over here? Tax things that have to pay no matter what, and the things that you might lose through taxation, just... don't basically.

OMG, I actually remembered something from A level economics :D go me!

I used to ride a motorbike and it did 80-100mpg depending how I rode it, in the year I had it I only put £40 pounds of petrol in (or thereabouts) and I took it out every day. But with the petrol and tax vs. peoples earnings, everyone complains but nobody seems to do anything about it. Having a big car is about status, even if it costs you more and there's no real benefit to you, people will pay a lot more to show off.

Those that need a 4 x 4 for a genuine reason, probably wont have tinted windows and all the bells and whistles, but will still suffer just the same. My friend has a jeep that is falling apart, but he drives it offroad all the time. But he'll have to pay the same as those shiny black ones that never go offroad in their lives.

Curiously, usually driven by women :confused:.

I think people should be encouraged to ride motorbikes. Except for the death factor (12 times more likely to die in an accident on a motorbike than an accident in a car) they make perfect sense. Except for the high maintenence costs, but if there was more demand for them from pragmatic users rather than as a leisurecraft, then there would be more developments, like stopping them rusting all the time (how come cars dont seem to rust but bikes do if they caught in the rain??), having more inbuilt storage and basically making them uber good.

Sorry, I just envision a society where a small car will have 2 people in, a large car 4/5 (like a family) and single commuters will travel via bike or public transport. Increasing efficiency by shedloads!

Congestion charge is mislabelled anyway. It's a based on the amount of congestion and the area in, but is actually just another car tax and has nothing to do with how much you contribute to congestion. (quoted from more a level stuff)

I got a D in transport :( and a D in european context. What went wrong??
  • Options
    You're right, there are no nice bits of water anywhere near London, but that's where the journey starts from.

Ah, I apologise for my oversight. Well, I would say you were one of the unlucky ones. Do start inside the congestion zone then? I thought it was mainly businesses and banks and services and the like there...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I have mixed feeling about this.

I feel that if people can afford a rumbling 4x4 in London, then they can probably afford an extra amount in their tax. However, the cars that Ken has lined up to be 'free' from congestion charges (hybrid cars etc) are really not very good for taking families around in. Most of them are tiny, flimsy little things ... not much space for a family.

This is true but the hope is that making these cars more attractive will lead the demand for hybrid cars to increase, thus car manufacturers will try to make more of their cars environmentally friendly.

Just you wait for the hybrid powered 4x4 that can't pull itself up a 30 degree incline let alone a trailer. Hopefully if they make it expensive enough people will buy it anyway.
  • Options
    Ah, I apologise for my oversight. Well, I would say you were one of the unlucky ones. Do start inside the congestion zone then? I thought it was mainly businesses and banks and services and the like there...

Tis quite alright, one of the people I paddle with lives in it.
  • Options
    with the new laws abut car seats for kids, i think a lot more people NEED a 4x4 than some of you think

imagine having 3 kids who all need car/booster seats in a small car?
  • Options
    You don't have to put in booster seats if they won't fit in your car. So that's out the window. Also a family saloon is more than big enough for three kids. You don't need a 4x4.
  • Options
    But the law is surely there for a reason. You need to equally protect all your kids, and most cars that you can get 3 car seats into are the higher band ones.

It's not just 4x4s that come into the high bands, several family cars do too.
  • Options
    The law is a joke. The law actually states if you can't fit three seats you don't have to have three seats. So "needing" to buy a bigger car to fit three booster seats is in fact irrelevant.
  • Options
    But what do the many million need that high band car owners should subsidise for them? If it's the space on the central capitals road then the high band cars don't take up any more space than anything else.
    The main issue is pollution. And in the case of 4x4s, it is also practicality and safety.

London is still a very polluted place to live. Asthma cases in children are higher today than at any other time in history. This is much to do with road traffic. We need to cut down emissions by any means necessary. Targetting the most polluting vehicles around is the sensible way go around it.

A Ranger Rover will do 13mpg in urban use. That is nothing short of a disgrace.

In addition to pollution 4x4s have been proven to be extremely dangerous vehicles. To pedestrians, to other road users and even to their own occupants. They are bulky, wide and completely innapropriate for city use.

I work in Chelsea and I see how 4x4s are used. I can assure you that in 12 years of working in the area I don't recall ever seeing a single one with any traces of mud or evidence of ever having been off an asphalted road. However I see many of them every day picking up little Tallulah from school for the 1.5 mile trip back home. To the point where some local schools have told parents not to come anywhere near the school with a 4x4 due to the congestion they cause and the danger to other children.
  • Options
    How about self-employed people, doing jobs like plumbing or electricianing, who happen to have families? They can't afford two cars, so they need something they can fit their kids in, but also all their gear. They can't buy an estate car, because the government won't allow that as a business expense, and they can't buy a van because they can't fit their kids in. 4x4 is the only option (check it out, there's a huge number of small businesses using them since the new legislation). So anyone wanting to do this sort of work in London will be put out of business by the big companies that can afford a fleet of vans? Or are businesses exempt?
  • Options
    It is only central london we're talking about let's not forget that. You're still talking about a minority. Incidentally, having worked in that sort of trade myself, I don't know anyone who has to have a van for their gear, and yet can't afford another smaller car for their family.
  • Options
    If the main issue is pollution then we need to be tackling pollution up front, not sneaking ways to get extra money out of some drivers in under the pretence of dealing with congestion.

We need to change the system, we need to provide safe routes for children and their parents to walk to school, we need to get public transport to a state where it is a reliable and time efficient way to get to places, which for short journeys it often isn't. Charging high band cars more will hardly dent the pollution problem (especially when low band cars pay nothing).
  • Options
    And with regard to the 'I have a family' argument, let's not pretend for a minute that nothing short of a Porsche Cayenne will do.

Most saloon cars are not only adequate but more than plenty for a family of five.

With a Volvo Estate you can add a large dog and as much luggage as anyone is ever going to need.

And for larger families, there are lots of people carriers that don't fall anywhere near the Band G that is being targetted.

I have 3 siblings. When I was a kid my family of 6 got around and went on holidays for long distances in one of these:

Seat_850_Especial_pedro_2.jpg

And yet you see mothers of two children being interviewed on the street indignantly claiming they need a Range Rover because they have 'a family'.

Yeah right...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It is only central london we're talking about let's not forget that. You're still talking about a minority. Incidentally, having worked in that sort of trade myself, I don't know anyone who has to have a van for their gear, and yet can't afford another smaller car for their family.

Maybe that's you. I know several (quick finger count to 6) people who have Landys or vans for their work, and that's their only car. They don't necessarily have familys.
  • Options
    Aladdin, you're family of 6 in one of those would no longer be legal.
  • Options
    The point was needing something for a family wasn't it? What relevance do people without family have in this case?
  • Options
    The point wasn't about legality. It was about space. My family of six went away camping for two weeks in a 7seater volvo estate. Does that satisfy you? It's legal, but not obscene.
  • Options
    If the main issue is pollution then we need to be tackling pollution up front, not sneaking ways to get extra money out of some drivers in under the pretence of dealing with congestion.
    Perhaps Ken should change the name to 'pollution and congestion charge' for the sake of accuracy, but other than that I don't see what the problem is. The government hasn't got the balls to tax gas-guzzling ultra polluting vehicles as it should. Hats off to the mayor of London for at least trying to make life in the capital a little easier.
    Charging high band cars more will hardly dent the pollution problem (especially when low band cars pay nothing).
    How do you work that out? The higher the charge for Band G cars, the fewer they will be driven around. If 1,000 people who drive a Band G car switch to a Band A or B vehicle we are talking a reduction of thousands of tonnes of CO2.
  • Options
    I know. But I was pointing out all this 'space' issue that leads to believe some parents nothing short of a large 4x4 will do if they have kids.

You can fit a full family of 5 in a large saloon or a estate car. Let alone a family of 4, which from what I see on the street form a large part of the Chelsea 4x4 ownership club. For larger families there are plenty of people carriers with the same if not more interior space available than a 4x4 and a fraction of the emissions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And yet you see mothers of two children being interviewed on the street indignantly claiming they need a Range Rover because they have 'a family'.
    The point is that the only congestion you will cut will be the people who genuinely can't afford it. And let me remind you, that won't be the mother bringing her only child to a private school in a Range Rover. It will be the dad who's now charging you twice as much to fix your boiler to pay for his congestion charge, who'll eventually be put out of business by big companies.
  • Options
    Perhaps Ken should change the name to 'pollution and congestion charge' for the sake of accuracy,

If he wanted to be accurate surely he'd be better calling it the 'Capita Extra Profits charge'
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Most londoners would disagree - he's probabl one of the best mayors they've had.

Ken is the only directly elected mayor London has had. (Although Ken previously led the GLC in the 1980s until it was abolished, GLC leaders weren't mayors).
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So I don't like all his policies myself - this one included - but I'll put up with it, because he does a fucknig good job.

How exactly does he do a 'fucking good job'? He's backed Ian Blair 100%, he's disgusted gay, feminist and Jewish groups by cosying up to homophobic Islamists that condone wife-beating and he was thick enough to compare the poll tax riots to Tiananmen Square. Meanwhile Londoners are paying more council tax than ever thanks to Ken. Yeah, great. With the right candidate the Conservatives have a good chance of beating Ken thankfully, the last local elections showed a massive Conservative revival with the Tories taking control in Hammersmith & Fulham, Ealing and Bexley...Ken's days are numbered. :)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

We couldn't...

But we all just piled in the back of the van :D great fun!

(sorry, OT)

Most people don't buy a 4x4 because it's practical, they buy it because it's a glamourous, desirable car to have. I said most, not all ;)
  • Options
    The point is that the only congestion you will cut will be the people who genuinely can't afford it. And let me remind you, that won't be the mother bringing her only child to a private school in a Range Rover. It will be the dad who's now charging you twice as much to fix your boiler to pay for his congestion charge, who'll eventually be put out of business by big companies.
    Of all the electricians, builders, plumbers, decorators, etc, that I have ever seen or dealt with, be at home, at work or driving around, I have never ever seen a single one that uses a 4x4.

And do you really think that a plumber or an electrician (who generally make very nice amounts of money anyway) who can spend £35,000 on a 4x4 can't spend an extra four grand on a second hand van?
  • Options
    One thing I will say is that any car (and it is usually 4x4s) that has bullbars should be banned from the road completely until they're removed. Given that it is far more likely to hit a pedestrian in London than er a moose I cannot think of any justification for having bullbars in London. (The chances of a pedestrian hit by a car with bullbars are much lower...)
  • Options
    I thought bullbars were already illegal?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

No idea but I regularly see loads of vehicles (mainly 4x4s and vans) with them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I think it's illegal to fit them. But you still see vehicles with them on. I was really really annoyed once because I saw one of the 'monsters' outside a primary school picking up kids. :lol:

Then they drove for all of 20 seconds to get from the school to the shop.

'twas another woman. I don't know why, but IME it's usually women driving 4x4s :confused: I don't know why.
  • Options
    How exactly does he do a 'fucking good job'? He's backed Ian Blair 100%
    He has also insulted him, challenged New Labour many times, got expulsed by them and then beat them at the election
    he's disgusted gay, feminist and Jewish groups by cosying up to homophobic Islamists that condone wife-beating
    He invited one such extremist to talk about something else. Still a very stupid move indeed, but why don't you look at all the good things Ken has done for the gay and lesbian communities, and why don't you ask what their opinion of Ken is? Their general opinion of Ken appears to be excellent across the board.
    and he was thick enough to compare the poll tax riots to Tiananmen Square .
    So? Why should that bother Londoners?
    Meanwhile Londoners are paying more council tax than ever thanks to Ken.
    They also have a considerably cleaner and faster moving city with the bus service in particular having improved many times over.

Most Londoners care most about transport. Ken pisses on anything any other candidate from any other party could possibly offer. He's also given Londoners the Congestion Charge, which is what the majority of them wanted. Who cares is some Surrey-based stockbroker has to pay the charge or leave his car outside London?
    Yeah, great. With the right candidate the Conservatives have a good chance of beating Ken thankfully, the last local elections showed a massive Conservative revival with the Tories taking control in Hammersmith & Fulham, Ealing and Bexley...Ken's days are numbered. :)
    You think? :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And do you really think that a plumber or an electrician (who generally make very nice amounts of money anyway) who can spend £35,000 on a 4x4 can't spend an extra four grand on a second hand van?
    You obviously don't have a clue about these types of professions then. This is the type of car my step dad has.
    hard-top-mitsubishi-L200.jpg
    Look familiar? It should do, because practically every builder, plumber and electrician with a family drives one of these. It cost £9000, not the £35,000 you assume everyone spends on a 4x4. Have you ever heard of a little thing called second hand? It's what people resort to when they need a car that's out of their price range when new. And it's these people that you always end up hurting when you charge people flat rate taxes, not the people who don't need a large vehicle.