Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's your relationship with your Dad like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
following on from the other thread...:)

my parents divorced when i was around 6 years old. from then until the age of 10 i used to split my time with my dad and my mum and step-dad. one month i'd be with my dad at the weekends and my mum and step-dads during the week and then the next month it'd be the other way around. when i was 10 my mum and step-dad moved down to oxfordshire and i decided to go with them so that arrangement stopped and i haven't lived with my dad properly since then (i'm 21 now).

my dad moved down to somerset around 8 years ago now (i think) and since then i've only seen him 1-3 times a year. lately it's been largely dependent on family gatherings e.g. funerals. this year i've seen him twice - for his wedding and for my nephews birthday. i'll probably be seeing him at christmas so doing quite well!

my dad doesn't really make much of an effort to keep in touch with me. i once decided not to ring him and it got to about 7 weeks and i'd heard nothing. sounds a bit rubbish doesn't it! he's the same with my other sisters but 1 of my sisters is always on the phone so she rings him most weeks - i'm too stubborn and like to wait for him to ring me. i can't remember the last time he rang me just for a chat. that makes him sound like such an uncaring father but he's not really..he just err doesn't ring me!

my ex boyfriends parents split up and he lived with his mum after the divorce. he still sees his dad regularly and his dad makes an effort with ringing him etc so it really annoyed him about my dad and he found it hard to understand.

when i do talk to my dad it's fine, but it annoys me when he asks me about uni because it's the last thing i want to be asked about and it feels like he's nagging when i haven't spoken to him in a while. when i see him i get a bit annoyed because he doesn't know what kind of foods i like and my mum does so it feels like he doesn't know me (can't be helped, i know).

sorry it's a bit long!

your turn now. :)

Comments

• Options
    Good when sober.

Bad when drunk.
  • Options
    Same as what i said about my mum. Great now the fucking cunt is dead :D
  • Options
    My dad doesn't know I'm alive.
  • Options
    Interesting. It's never really been a close relationship but since his health problems, he's become alot more caring, and we have a laugh now. At the minute, he's sitting next to me and we're trying to convince my mum to watch Fawlty Towers, while he moans that he wants to buy an XRay Machine
  • Options
    I used to be very close to my dad. I dont speak to to him much now days, nothing went wrong. He just isnt around much.
  • Options
    Good, when I am working

Bad, when I am lazy.

Generally good. Usually I get a tad bit better on with my mum, but I tend to joke around a lot with my dad.

I hate it, when my father tries to explain something to me. I always think he wants to patronize me (oh the irony.)

but it's quite ok. He is a funny man and we joke around a lot.
  • Options
    He died while I was young and I never lived in the same house as him, he had many many problems and wasn't the best of people by a long shot, but he was my dad and I still love him, I get a warm nice feeling when I think of him. No matter what he had done or did, he always loved me so much and would do anything for me.

This is sad :(

I had the following image in my head.

"Daddy, daddy... is mum a high quality woman?"
    "Yes my son... This is the reason why I made her my princess."

condolences
  • Options
    I used to be extremely close to him before he got the brain tumour. The tumour took away most of the good bits about his personality. He died last December and I dunno where his ashes are soo my relationship isn't too good at the mo! Umm..I have a pic of him on my dressing table and think about him a lot.
  • Options
    Even more complicated than the one I have with my mother. But basically he wasn't really there much when I was a teenager and I'm pretty sure somewhere deep down I resent him for it and I felt that he always tried to make up for not being there by lavishing lots of expensive presents etc upon us.

There are however two issues firstly my dad doesnt' think that i love him or am as affectionate towards him as I should be - at the end of every meeting there is kind of like this thing where he kind of forces me to kiss him goodbye and then makes a big deal about how I clearly hate doing it - which then obv makes it all the worse.

The second is that I can't be as extreme as him and therefore am a dissapointment. I probably don't have a good enough go getting job for him - i'm too reserved to push myself forward so i'm never going to be this high flying graduate type - except he was a high flying graduate and now recruits them to work with him so i'm never going be like one of them. As well as this there are things where I feel i've failed him - like a couple of weekends ago we all went sailing - I was on the wheel and the wind became really strong and I basically didn't have the strenth to hold it any more and kind of pathetically started going daddy come and take the wheel which he did but then kind of made it really clear that i was pathetic and shouldn't get scared (and should be stronger). Then on the way home i was driving his car but he kept on telling me I wasn't driving fast enough - but it was dark and we were driving down country lanes and didn't want to kill us and we were going as fast as the speed limit, then when we got home he said his car was meant to be driven faster (its a porche something or other) and just let me know I wasnt' as much of a nutter as he was and I should be more of one rather than being safe.

ppfft I do try its just i dont' want to kill myself and other people in the mean time. Mind you my dad is so much of a nutter in his car I never get scared with other people driving (well except my granddad who is even scaryier). Oh and I do like him I just don't see why at the age of 25 I was expected to suddenly turn into this huggy kissy person when hes never been there to hug and kiss before. But at least he keeps my nutty mother in order with his very scary silences
  • Options
    I don't really get on with him but I do go out with him on a Sunday night hehe.
  • Options
    hes like a real good mate.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I get on alright with my old man, better than my sister does anyway. Them to will often have full blown rows that last days.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My relationship with my dad is great. We're like good mates. We do stuff together, we're into the same sports, music, films etc and we aren't afraid to give each other a good bollocking when we're in the wrong! Reading some of the posts on this thread it makes me realise how lucky I am to have parents that are still together and have always been there... :yes:
  • Options
    I didnt get on with him until I moved out 6 years ago, when I still lived at home we could go days without speaking. We're really quite close now though.
  • Options
    Total Daddy's girl.

We don't have deep and meaningfuls and I feel quite sad that because of his personality and very reserved nature I won't ever know him the way I know my mam or be able to talk to him the same way. But yeah, we had/have our small issues with one another but it seems to be completely overshadowed by the fact that he thinks the sun shines out of my arse and I think he is a lovely, lovely man :D
  • Options
    It's reserved because neither of us are the most emotional of people, but he is the best person I know to go and have a beer or four with. Mostly because he always gets the curry in on the way home;)

He had a stroke not so long ago, and he's fine now, but it makes me appreciate what I've got.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Total Daddy's girl.

Me too. He's my papa and his line "what do I always say... your papa always looks out for his nana" :heart: No matter what time of the day or night he'll always be there and say nice things. He'll always help me out in tough situations (and slip me some money when I visit as long as I promise not to tell my mother) I can't remember the last time we even argued. My dad is the best and he knows it!
  • Options
    I'm closer to dad than I am mum. Dad has the wonderful habit of embarassing anf teasing me infront of other family members and friends...
  • Options
    my dad is so cute (like my mum!). he is balding and he has a number 1 cut and i always rub his head when i walk past or twist his ears. when i was a little girl i used to sit on his knee. he says im an angel and thinks i can do no wrong :) i don't really talk to him about stuff though.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    he says im an angel and thinks i can do no wrong :)

Good that you proved him wrong then :razz:

(no hard feelings^^ It's just coincidence that it hit you twice today <3)
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I used to be extremely close to him before he got the brain tumour. The tumour took away most of the good bits about his personality. He died last December and I dunno where his ashes are soo my relationship isn't too good at the mo! Umm..I have a pic of him on my dressing table and think about him a lot.
    If you don't mind me asking, why don't you know where his ashes are?

As for my relationship with my Dad, I have a good relationship with mine.

Was always a Daddy's girl :D

I don't talk to him about stuff but I love him to bits!
  • Options
    My grandma and aunts on his side don't like my mum and blame me for not visiting him very often when he was in the nursing home. I went to the funeral but I didn't exactly have a lot of input. I was mostly ignored by everyone there.
  • Options
    i used to be a daddys girl till i saw how my mum had been there for me more. but then i understand that it's not always possible for him because of the distance.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Good that you proved him wrong then :razz:
    what dya mean? :angel:
  • Options
    well i should think if you spoke to him about things you'd lose your halo. :p
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    My grandma and aunts on his side don't like my mum and blame me for not visiting him very often when he was in the nursing home. I went to the funeral but I didn't exactly have a lot of input. I was mostly ignored by everyone there.
    Thats a bit shit :(
  • Options
    yarrr, good thing I'm not spiritual otherwise I'd be crosser than I am about it. I can think about him without looking at some dirt/bush whatever it is.
  • Options
    Better now we don't live together, we get on far better by email. He's alright actually, but we are so similar (I hate to admit that!) that we argue about the same things. He can be great for a bit and we will chat about books and things, and then he can go back to being infuriating at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    Tolerable. He tends to wind me up a lot and put me down. Him and my brother used to have awful fights when he still lived at home, but they get on better now. We've both always been closer to our mum.
  • Options
    Closer to my Mum tbh. Have a bit of a problem when it comes to trusting males, it just takes me a while :) I do trust him, but don't feel that close to him. He had a bad upbringing, which was kind of there when he was bringing me up.