Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

perverted bed bugs?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i woke up on thursday morning with a rash on my chest (or rather specifically my left boob!). i thought it might've been a bit of excema as i'm prone to this anyway (but only on my arms normally). it's still there now so yesterday when i was at the doctors for something unrelated, i showed it to her and at first she thought it might be shingles but then when she looked more closely she noticed that a few of the red areas (which are raised) had centres to them so it looks like i've been bitten. :(

she said there were still mosquitos around but i really don't think it could be that.

my mum said it could be bed bugs (great mum, now i'm never getting in my bed again!! :no:)...a google image search brings up http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=bed+bug+bites and then i found this quote 'They feed by piercing the skin with an elongated beak through which they withdraw blood. Engorgement takes about three to 10 minutes' :crying:. i'm in no way a jippo so i hope it isn't this. :yuck:

it's hard to tell from the pictures posted on the internet whether they're the same as my bites. the doctor didn't seem too concerned and told me to put some camomile stuff on it (i think that's what she said?).

i think i might sleep in the fridge tonight.

someone help me please. :(

eta: to remove the picture. :grump:

Comments

• Options
    You have dogs, check them for flees. My dog occasionally gets flees and they attack me all the time.

P.s, Nice pic. ;)
  • Options
    Well i'm sure, if you ask him nicely, HIT will be more than happy to rub some lotion in :D
  • Options
    Sounds dodgy. I have been bitten 2/3 times in bed the past few days, I'm assuming their bites anyway. :mad:

I used a Tea Tree and Witch Hazel cream Which got rid of them though!
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    You have dogs, check them for flees. My dog occasionally gets flees and they attack me all the time.

P.s, Nice pic. ;)

it's not our dogs. i haven't seen them for 2 weeks anyway and this happened at uni.

and don't be such a perve.

what if they come for my foo-foo next? :crying:
  • Options
    :sour:

anyway.. its probably bed bugs. wash your sheets you dirty girl! :razz: no but really.. change your sheets and see if they sell anything in wilkinsons.
  • Options
    it's not our dogs. i haven't seen them for 2 weeks anyway and this happened at uni.

and don't be such a perve.

Whats a foo foo? Your foot?

Perhaps someone at uni has flees. :D

Seriously whats you environment like? Is your bedroom window next to trees? It most likely is bed bugs.. Perhaps consider washing your sheets and cleaning your mattress once in a while. :p
  • Options
    a foo foo is my other lady bits.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :sour:

anyway.. its probably bed bugs. wash your sheets you dirty girl! :razz: no but really.. change your sheets and see if they sell anything in wilkinsons.

i've changed my sheets. i heard that changing them too often encourages bedbugs/mites though?? :crying:
  • Options
    If it does happen, be sure to take pics so we can give our opinions. :)

I would steam clean your mattress.
  • Options

Oh i thought you had a dog called foo foo :D
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    If it does happen, be sure to take pics so we can give our opinions. :)

that is such a vile thing to say. :yuck:

my matress is provided by the people i rent my house off. i've been sleeping on it for nearly 2 months and had no problems until now.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Oh i thought you had a dog called foo foo :D

no it's a girly term for a fanny. :razz:
  • Options
    Bed bugs are quite serious and get everywhere (in the plaster of the walls, etc), I expect its probably just fleas or something.
  • Options
    that is such a vile thing to say. :yuck:

my matress is provided by the people i rent my house off. i've been sleeping on it for nearly 2 months and had no problems until now.
    Well tell them to clean it.

Buy some antibacterial febreze, that may help. Or it could just be gnats.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bed bugs are quite serious and get everywhere (in the plaster of the walls, etc), I expect its probably just fleas or something.

but we don't have pets at uni and i haven't seen our pets for 2 weeks and i doubt they have fleas. :no:
  • Options
    but we don't have pets at uni and i haven't seen our pets for 2 weeks and i doubt they have fleas. :no:
    Perhaps they jumped a ride when you was packing your case at home. :yes:
  • Options
    in the mean while..i don't have anything camomiley to put on them. what else could i use? they don't really itch but they haven't gone down at all.

eta: i have some germolene?
  • Options
    in the mean while..i don't have anything camomiley to put on them. what else could i use? they don't really itch but they haven't gone down at all.

eta: i have some germolene?
    tcp is good, you could use germaline.
  • Options
    i would just like to reiterate the fact that i am NOT a scruff who lives in a flea and bedbug ridden house. :grump:

(even though this thread might make you think otherwise..!).

be careful, it could be you next. :(

eta: i keep getting phantom itches now. :mad:
  • Options
    i would just like to reiterate the fact that i am NOT a scruff who lives in a flea and bedbug ridden house. :grump:

(even though this thread might make you think otherwise..!).

be careful, it could be you next. :(

eta: i keep getting phantom itches now. :mad:
    ok we beleive you.

your probably getting itches because your thinking about it.
  • Options
    Here is a link: http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

There was some documentary on TV about bed bug infestiation in hotels. I remember it saying look for dark stains on matress, the link above says something similar. Also, it says do a bit of midnight hunting for them ;) mmm enjoy, hehe!
  • Options
    Clean clothes, make sure you wash everything at at least 40.

It could be irritation from washing powder not rinsing out your underwear. Something that localised is unlikely to be bed bugs.

Camomile or any other insect bite/nettle rash cream, you could always go and buy some!
  • Options
    it's raining. :p

and i wear clean clothes!
  • Options
    And? Wear a coat!

New washing powder?

This on going or a one off?
  • Options
    first time i've had it. :)
  • Options
    Is more appearing or just what was already there? If it's only what was already there then it was probably some small biting insect that got itself stuck in your left bra cup and entertained itself by nibbling you, or where some washing powder hadn't rinsed out of your clothes properly and has been rubbed into the skin and irritated it.

If it's still itching and it's still raining then my only other suggestion would be cold which is what I resort to when nothing else has worked, damp cloth, or under running water. Not sure how you'd manage it other than a cool shower or wet t shirt..... :chin:

Just had a thought, if you've got any hayfever stuff, that should help.
  • Options
    just what was already there. :) but the little bit where they've bit me that's in the middle of the red bit has scabbed. :sour:

from what i remembered it was there when i woke up on thursday morning (feeling a tad hungover!) and i wasn't wearing a bra in my sleep. i kinda hope it was a pervey bug.

i do suffer with hayfever but as it's not hayfever season i don't have any tablets.

cheers for your help. :)
  • Options
    No problem, some bites take a while to come up.

Lets hope you don't get any more!
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    My hunch is that these aren't bed bugs, which can be seen when mature if you look carefully (they like to hang out in mattresses), but difficult to get rid of. It's more likely fleas or another bug - and, no, it doesn't necessariy mean you have a dirty home!

That's good your doctor saw the bites. If they don't go away shortly, with some over-the-counter relief cream, you could check with a pharmacist.
  • Options
    Bed bugs can burrow into the plaster of walls and they can burrow into floorboards, so if you do think that you have bed-bugs you will need to get the exterminators in straight away. The Environmental Health team at your local council will be able to advise.

Bed bugs are far more serious than just a few itchy bites, as they can and do get everywhere. I know of a youth hostel in Cumbria that has just had to be gutted because the buggers has completely infested the plasterwork.

My hunch is that they aren't bed bugs, because you'd know about it in a big way if they were.

It isn't a sign of slovenly housekeeping to get fleas or tics- we had an infestation of fleas that took two months to eradicate because of our bastard cat.
This discussion has been closed.