Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uk have worst youths in EU

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's been a few years since i was a "yoof", but i always managed to keep myself entertained and out of trouble.
  • Options
    if you've seen the news you will know that the UK has just been given the title of the worst youths

A win's a win in my book ... :p
  • Options
    if nothing is provided from young people of course they are going to hang around in public, so teens can't be criticised for this, but they are and its unfair!

some people complain about youths hanging around on the street, so its the government who must address these complaints therefore its the government's reponsibility to do something about it and many young people will appreciate it. regretably a small minority will try and ruin it for the rest.
    but my original point stands that it is a small minority that give all young people a bad name and take the headlines from the majority who do nothing wrong and aid society! the concentration of bad light stories in the news creates the idea that this problem is very widespread by all youths, when it isn't!

Youths do lobby Local councils to get things done in my area a campaign started for a skatepark and a community centre, but the community centre got scrapped immediately and the skatepark has taken 7 years for people to raise the money for the skate park (the cheaper option). showing that youths 'get off' their arse and do something productive, but when is this i the news?
  • Options
    Always being shown in a negative light!!!

A report published recently-you prob saw it in the news- said that the UK is becoming a country fearful of it's young people. The thing is although stats and figures show Britain’s youth as the worst in Europe, doesn't it mean we are just constantly being shown in a negative light.

The way to stop young people getting involved in anti-social behaviour is by engaging us and not constantly stereotyping all young people. Why is there never stuff in the news about good things young people have done??? also if there were good things set up for young people to do and have ownership over then maybe young people who might normally behaviour badly wouldn't.

It's not easy being young but it's even harder when your constantly being stereotyped as anti-social by the media.
  • Options
    Cathryn wrote:
    Why is there never stuff in the news about good things young people have done???

Why is there never things in the news about good things Muslims have done? Or old people, or middle aged people?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Why is there never things in the news about good things Muslims have done? Or old people, or middle aged people?

I've asked this question many times in despair and people reply "Theres no news like bad news", which unfortunately in true but this is a problem with journalists selection negative stories over positive ones, and the whole human psyche that loves pain and misfortune of others because it makes us feel better about ourselves.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    The problem though, is that whilst you can no longer have such headlines against "blacks" or "women" or "gays" it doesn't seem to apply to age or religion or political persuasion. Religion and politics because people argue that it's a choice to be part of that religion or supporter of those views, and age because, well I don't know why.
  • Options
    The problem though, is that whilst you can no longer have such headlines against "blacks" or "women" or "gays" it doesn't seem to apply to age or religion or political persuasion. Religion and politics because people argue that it's a choice to be part of that religion or supporter of those views, and age because, well I don't know why.

I'd argue with that, if a killer is black they will always point that out, but they wont point out if a killer is white. And quite often the same holds true for gays as well.